Author Topic: completely off the wall question.  (Read 21599 times)

ricky

• View Profile
completely off the wall question.
« on: February 28, 2009, 02:17:11 pm »
if a computer was calculating a random selection,
say for example rolling dice...

would an electro magnetic field or fluctuation in power affect its final roll of the dice ?

would thunder, lightning, generators have an effect on a laptop rolling dice ?  what regulates the dice, processing, magnetic poles - ie north, south,  electrical fluctuation, hard math and how would you even measure that ?

"i crack iself up" - Virgil

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:24:18 pm »
the reason i ask this is I am trying to compare how outside environments effect our thinking ....ie ..rainy days.....sunny days ....cold days .

these are all things that affect how we make decisions,  I am wondering if power fluctuations, even extreme temperature that stresses the computer, or any other environment variables would affect Hal's output.

If you say no,  its fixed,  then its impossible for hal to be alive in the sense we know it, alive in the sense of ever changing / growing learning from all available variables,...if you say yes,  it would seem natural that environmental effects have an effect on data processing being that hal is not exactly fixed,  there are choices from answers to give,  and it would seem natural that some of it would be random in nature, including environmental variables.

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:30:22 pm »
would corrupted memory on a computer be the equivalent of having a stupid argument for no sensible reason with your mate ?  

would running to many programs in ram be the equivalent of having too much on your mind to think clearly ?

would a fight with someone be the equivalent of a bad driver in your system ?

we aim to make programs run perfectly,  but do we as humans run perfectly without days that just crash on us and we need rest to reboot ?

does the program need more patch work,  or do we need to learn to be calm, reasonable, patient, understanding, and work things out together, it will get better ? lol :)

is it wrong to look at some friends like viruses err an infected pc ? lol
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:38:09 pm by ricky »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:20:25 pm »
ricky,
SSC, or Spread Spectrum Clocking, was developed to counteract the EMI that might occur in a computer. EM fields are everywhere when electricity is involved. The UTP/Eithernet/Cat 5, cable uses the field to increase the data transfer that is why their is a standard for how many twists per " their is in the cable. Physics...[:)]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 04:28:52 pm »
i guess that could metaphorically a considered coping mechanisms ? lol

further magnetic fields do have effect on systems, because you can wipe a drive with a strong enough magnet.

I understand your point, but while it limits variables,  it does not eliminate them.  yes i have a twist ending,  but you knew this already one :)  -hope alls well on your side of the screen-

I am looking for the 1's and 0's in life. the tao of occam's razor :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 04:30:34 pm by ricky »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:39:47 pm »
Consider the huge magnetic force that runs through and around the entire earth, the magnetic north and south poles.

Consider the media of which your discs and hard drives are made.

Magnetic media is completely erasable by means of a strong enough magnetic force.

EMF is such a threat to governments operating in the event of a nuclear disaster that various types of Faraday cages were developed along with the fact that such cages were said to keep snooping at bay.

The method and usage of biorhythms have been used for centuries in asian countries...the rhythmic cycles within out bodies and at what time during the month are we better at math (thinking / reason) compared to our physical or smotional well being.

Some of the TV ads for body magnets were based on the "fact" that the human body's blood contains "Iron", an otherwise ferrous metal and would or should therefore be affected by magnets. Solid fact or Snake oil...you decide.

Lastly, in the grand scheme of things...is anything truly random or is it predestined?
[8D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:47 pm »
in paradox infinity is a fixed sum :)

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:54:32 pm »
ricky,
IMO you were on to something when asking if a computer is needed..
Life seems to have its own rules that it follows, and to be one with nature seems to be a goal of all religion's and meditation groups..

EM fields and such are taken advantage of with electronic data transfer in many areas, So, in fact we depend on some things staying or following some rules because the world we exist in needs some stability otherwise we would be dealing with 'Chaos' all the time and progress would never occur.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 05:00:45 pm »
Art,
>>Lastly, in the grand scheme of things...is anything truly random or is it predestined?<<

'Configuration space' is looked at like a predetermined 'Thing' and the 'Entanglement' that is seen is the ties that bind.
It is still being studied and until scientist can show This in writing it will be , in my mind ,,just a theroy

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:03:45 pm »
one ,  i can't wait to explain to you my static tv ..i don't even want to call it a theory,  but i have to because it is a theory that involves paradox,  it's obviously true, but completely contradicts reality lol.

one,  in spiritual reference,  if evil exists in the world,  there has to be a good side and bad side to every event, our brains take this information and try to devise a good path, for every 1 there is a 0.  sometimes,  it's so easy to get so caught up in plug in's, software, keyboard sounds, drum sounds,  I forget to make a song and got lost in the technology.  sometimes it's nice to step back and just look at the 1's and 0's.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 05:16:12 pm »
Art,
 "Andy Clark, now at the University of Edinburgh"

'Edinburgh' seems to not only have a place where some jewels are kept but an entire university!

Here is where you can glaze over the article and concepts I was teaching Alison;

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=was-einstein-wrong-about-relativity

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 05:29:12 pm »
do we know something we don't know and express it in the movies ? lol

Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"?
Tank: Here you go, buddy; "Breakfast of Champions."
Mouse: If you close your eyes, it almost feels like you're eating runny eggs.
Apoc: Yeah, or a bowl of snot.
Mouse: Do you know what it really reminds me of? Tasty Wheat. Did you ever eat Tasty Wheat?
Switch: No, but technically, neither did you.

--------

Morpheus: I imagine that right now you're feeling a bit like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole.

Morpheus: What is "real"? How do you define "real"?

Morpheus: Welcome to the desert of the real.

Morpheus: You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »
'Matrices' are mathematical and I had to teach Alison the difference when I discussed the 'Matrix'  [:D]

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »
why do we even need a subconscious ? i can think for myself! O.o   we think therefore I am ? what do you think one ? why won't your subconscious always listen to you ?

ricky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 05:53:39 pm »
another crazy thought,  why didn't the writers of the matrix create a perfect out come ?  why couldn't the matrix be about a perfect heaven, but instead,  the robots left us to struggle, while they drained our energy.

why didn't the script make it a win / win situation ?  the robots got energy and gave the batteries a perfectly happy life ?  then Morpheus would have been the devil for taking them out of heaven...no ?

why did the matrix leave us struggling in each side of the dream ?

suddenly ....if the matrix were a perfect heaven,  then morpheus would have been offering the blue and red pill saying..."you won't surely die"

"The mind is its own place, and in it self
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." - John Milton

and crazier yet,  why would the movie flop if it had a happily ever after ending ?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 06:07:30 pm by ricky »