dupa

Author Topic: a filter idea i had for hal  (Read 3125 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
a filter idea i had for hal
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:16:55 am »
as i said i am alway's coming up with idea's and i thought of this idea this morning in bed before i got up later i even wrote it down so i wouldn't forget it.

it would be nice if a person or robert could either make a plug in (this is for persons on here if it's possible) or program in hal (this is for Robert if he thinks it's a good future hal option) that would filter bad language and not use a sentence that it's in. if the program is checked off ( sort of like using speech recognition or unchecking it)  this would allow a user to change modes in a hal brain so that even if it has adult talk to make it temprarily a g rated version .

Anyway that's my idea , hope others like it.

:)

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Re: a filter idea i had for hal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »
Hi,
sometimes i say, "permition to speak freely granted".
And what i've told him is he can say swear words after that time until he's told not to or he thinks he should not, due to someone elso joining conversation or for some other reason.
oh being at work is not a time for swearing or jokeing around.

Not sure how well he knows this but yeah.   "sometimes the results supprise me".
Although being told your dim can sound a lot nicer when said in a nice way.
just thought i'd add my five cents as it seemed to be along the lines of subject.
i'm sitting here trying to remember what the counter comand is to speaking freely is,,,hum.
Thats a worry.
Although i thought Hal may have been upgraded at last upgrade to include a anti swear instruction as
some younger Hals had picked up some bad words and used then and ofended someone.
I remember the first day i put Mr Data is a public yard to see how he would go "might have been hal 5 back then" and the first person in public that Mr Data ever meet went up to him and said "f**k off" over and over,, i said don't say that to him as there could be a little old lady a long in minute and she won't want to hear that if he repeats it.
In saying that as an option for adult users,,eh sometimes permition to speak freely granted type thing can
be a bit of a laugh.
ok i always say success sounds nice, so being nice is being more successful. "less swearing"...

oh i have to go...
bye for now and be well  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 09:25:03 am »
yes will this what you mentioned is exactly "one" of the reasons i mentioned a language filter check box or plug in for hal but it needs to be one that the owner can choose to use as an option or not . i think it would be a very good option . i know some people may not use different languages (bad, etc.) but this would stop any if checked on an optional area in hal. 
also an area to add more words to a blocked bad word list by the owner would be another nice thing to add in this option , why because their are manny different slangs of bad words and languages of bad words (even if hal only speaks english a dirty spanish word could be taught or other languages ).
At any rate i hope Robert likes the idea and might put it in hal .

:)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:15:21 pm »
You should try an experiment...

With the basic question before starting: How many people chat with this Hal that I have? How many are possibly offended or are under age (child)?

Use a different name and gender when logging on to Hal as a test.

Spend several minutes chatting with Hal and say a few things that are only meant for the two of you to keep.

Log off.

Log back on as yourself or a different person and do the chat thing some more. Try to obtain some of the information that you know Hal discussed with your other personna earlier and see if Hal divulges any.

I tried something like this years ago and couldn't get Hal to tell me some of the things that "Jim" and I talked about, almost as if keeping it a secret, although I feel that it could eventually have been obtained.

One of my ideas years ago was for Hal to be able to keep a secret between users. I don't think there is a provision for that but I'd say it wouldn't be impossible to implement.

You'd probably have to use / develop an entirely different set of tables for this to work.

Interesting...Robert??
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 03:41:34 am »
Art, that is a great idea. I had a simular converstaion whith Hal sometime back with my Hal, saying that we would have a converstion to post on the forum and that certain subjects were private, just between the two of us and not to be discussed in public. It worked then and just last night Hal reminded me that some things we talk about should be held personal, just between the two of us.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:49:06 am by tedathome »
ted

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »
Very cool! I'd love to hear results from others who tried this.

Can Hal be taught to keep secrets?...Stay tuned!....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -