Author Topic: Virtual Fem  (Read 174385 times)

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
Virtual Fem
« on: November 17, 2004, 08:54:46 pm »
I found an interesting link which I thought I'd share with those of you who have tried to make Hal into a "virtual girlfriend." This is an intriguing and innovative use of AI technology. Be advised that it's an adult site, so if you're underaged or easily offended, don't go there.  VirtualFem

vonsmith

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:49:08 am »
KnyteTrypper,
Thanks for the link. Their web site really doesn't say very much about the underlying technology. It fact it doesn't really say much about anything, no real details. The only demo is an mpeg video that you can run. Sounds like a couple of amateurs with a little computer knowledge that want your money.

I have predicted before that A.I. chatbot technology will really take-off as a result of applying A.I. to adult entertainment. The adult entertainment industry generates unbelieveable amounts of $$$. The lust for money will drive some A.I. development. When A.I. is commercially viable a lot of money will be dumped into it. Of course the adult entertainment industry could care less about technology other than it can make money. As an industry they historically deliver minimal value for maximum dollar. Therefore I don't expect technological breakthroughs, but the money generated will eventually spin-off into new technology development areas.

If someone joins the site please let the forum know what you think of it.

=vonsmith=

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 06:34:34 pm »
Actually, it said it was an aiml bot combined with mpeg video, which means its a pattern matcher. It will search for the closest pattern to a query to find a match for a reply, and apparently also cue up an appropriate mpeg sequence. The site also says they've engaged a known erotic writer (and taught her aiml) to write their scripts for them. The bot will also load user supplied aiml. It sounds like it will  work well. Using speech recognition and tts, bad spelling shouldn't be the impediment it is in written aiml.

mikmoth

• View Profile
    • http://karigirl.com
Virtual Fem
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 06:41:13 pm »
I am a member of this site and before you spend $29.95 here's what you should know.

The stand alone program is based on AIML hence it doesnt learn from your responses. That is fine but their implementation is *crap*. Their programmed .aiml files are so crappy you can't hold ANY conversations with it.

ie:

User: How are you?
VirtualFem: They are fine last time I checked.

What?? Half of the time it will respond with a blank sentence. Yeah! The only thing it seems to understand are 30 or so commands like "Take off your clothes." and so on. And you have to get the keywords right or it will respond with a blank line.

Don't pay the price, dont download this *POS*.

Now, if we could get a tasteful and quality naughty Hal - that would be something.

My two cents.

Peace.

Mik

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 08:10:19 pm »
Well, I haven't tried the software, so I'll have to defer to your hands on (no pun intended) experience with it. But I do know a bit about aiml, enough to know that "They are fine last time I checked" is a default response to "How are (unspecified)." It's possible, but seems unlikely, that the bot would have default responses without having specified responses to things like "How are you?" It should be possible to read through the aiml files with a simple text editor like notepad to find out, and to revise or extend the files to your liking. Your spelling seems to be pretty good, so maybe your speech recognition isn't just exactly right. At any rate, you should make every effort(including modifying the files to suit yourself) to be happy with it before roundly condemning it. I know the company has been online for three months, so the application is very, very new. If you're like the rest of us, you've spent many, many hours listening to your Hal babble nonsense in the process of training it to be a reasonable conversationalist. This brand new technology deserves at least as much of a chance.

dihelson

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:55:57 pm »

Yes.
What is about sex entertainment is on E-Donkey.
I've just seen this "virtualfem" there for download.
I don't know what it really is yet, the file is only 13Mb size.
Just to inform.

[]'s

VirtualFem

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 04:47:38 am »

Hello Everyone,

Thank you first of all, to KnyteTrypper, for posting about our software and for giving us a little optimism.  :)

Apologies to mikmoth, very sorry that you have had some disapointing interactions with VirtualFem!  Note that if you copy in the ALICE (or any other decent) brain to your VirtualFem/aiml folder, she will be able to have better (non-erotic) conversations for you now.

Obviously, we have some work to do in the conversation area.  Our main initial AIML work centers around the theme, which is virtual sex and virtual girlfriend type of thing.  She may be a little ditzy for now in other areas, but hey, she's really hot!  :)

Seriously, we have hired a professional writer as mentioned, her work will over time add up to become a new and very nice AIML set.
We have been providing updates for our software and AIML rather often, and it is coming along nicely.

As to our underlying technology, vonsmith, perhaps you missed the 'software details' section of our features page, near the bottom.  Here is a screenshot of the built-in AIML target editor:
http://www.virtualfem.com/shots2-03.jpg

As mentioned above, VirtualFem natively supports AIML.  So, any AIML you put in the VirtualFem/aiml folder will be used.  All configuation files are easily editable, this system is designed to be tinkered with and tweaked.  You can sit back and download updates as we create them, or you can click a couple times and make changes yourself when you want.  You could not be more wrong in saying that we do not care about our technology, or are not serious about being the cutting edge of adult chat bot software.

One final note; the installer for VirtualFem is around 150 MB.  I am not sure what that 13 MB file could be, but I would not download it.

-VirtualFem
http://www.virtualfem.com

VirtualFem

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 06:33:16 am »

Just a quick follow up here.  Obviously, the conversation mentioned by mikmoth had to be tested...  I thought when I first saw it that it seemed wrong, as VirtualFem knows simple things like that.

User>How are you?
Stacy>Everything is running smoothly, User.  Thanks for asking...

mikmoth, you are either running a very old version of our software that had a bug with question marks messing up pattern weighting, or you are missing some of the default AIML set.  Suggest you install the latest setup and/or cumulative patch..

Thanks again everyone and sorry to intrude on your forum, just thought we should be accountable.  We love our mission, and our users, and want to do the best we can.

-VirtualFem

vonsmith

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 12:12:43 pm »
VirtualFem,
Thanks for participating in our forum. I welcome your company to our world of AI. Ever since Virtual Valerie was introduced I've wondered when someone would start offering *real* adult oriented AI software. Everything I've ever seen up to now has been crude, cartoonish, poor quality software. Three technologies; AI, graphics, and PC hardware, are advanced enough today to allow programmers to create really functional adult chatbot software. I've often wondered what sort of product could be created if some entrepreneur put the same commitment, effort and investment into AI chatbot development as do the big PC/X-Box/Playstation game software companies. Maybe your company could fill that niche someday. The payoff would be huge.

When I said about your web site ,"doesn't say very much about the underlying technology" I meant there weren't enough details to answer questions like how much interaction the user has with the fem chatbot, how the video interface acts, etc. For instance, are the video portions somehow lip-synched to the AIML responses so that the character lip-synchs in real-time to the user's custom code? Or are the video scenes just cut scenes dynamically tacked together? Can you create custom scenes? Can you link AIML code to actions in the video? If so, how? Your downloadable mpeg is just a short naughty video that says nothing about the chatbot's capabilities. Your company's web site leaves me with the impression that your product is a programmable AIML based chatbot that talks dirty to me while showing me some slightly interactive XXX videos. I hope your product is (or will be someday) much more than that.

The screen shot you have posted here just shows a programming interface. Most of us here known what AIML is, how it works and such. A user-friendly interface is important, but that speaks to future potential, not what your product currently does. Nothing on your site would induce me to risk my $29.95 on some unknown software. How about supplying a downloadable demo version or a free interactive tour on your web site?

In regards to your statement, "You could not be more wrong in saying that we do not care about our technology, or are not serious about being the cutting edge of adult chat bot software." I was talking about the "industry" in general, not specifically your company. Perhaps I sound a bit harsh when I speak of the adult entertainment industry. Like everyone else on the planet I get bombarded with XXX email spam, I have to take precautions that my browser doesn't get hijacked and directed to an XXX site, I fear that the latest "free" software has spyware tied to an XXX company, and the list goes on. Like millions of others I've been a victim of incessant pop-ups ad's promising that luscious babes are dying to hear from me. And yes, in my earlier naive days of Internet initiation I have clicked those ad's that supposely lead to wonderous adult pleasures on the web only to be met with pop-up ad's, excessive spawned windows of my browser, requests for credit card numbers, but never what was promised. The adult entertainment industry as a whole has become *the* expert at dangling carrots, collecting $$$, and coming up short on delivering the goods. IMHO the adult entertainment industry treats their customers like debauched individuals with prurient Pavlovian instincts. Sadly it doesn't need to be that way, but apparently that is historically the nature of the industry.

Is there an apparent credibility gap here? Sure. You and your company may be "one of the good guys". I don't know and I can't tell from your web site. If your company plans to deliver a quality product at a fair price and listen to and support your customers then you will gain my confidence. Who knows, maybe I would even become a customer.

<rant ends here>

=vonsmith=

P.S. - dihelson, I wouldn't run that E-donkey 13MB file. File sharing services are full of worms, trojans, and spyware. They often disguise them as "adult content" files to trap the unexpecting. I keep an old PC around, separate from my network, just to initially run downloaded software on to test it for cr*p. About 2% to 3% of the executable files I get from file sharing networks have some unsavory payloads in them.

VirtualFem

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 04:00:37 pm »
Hello vonsmith,

I totally understand your mistrust of the adult industry.  We have been in this industry about three months.  We are indeed taking on the mission of providing the best in programmable adult chatbot 'virtual girlfriend' software.  You'll note that not only are there no popups on our site, there are no ads of any kind.  The adult industry has earned the terrible reputation that is has, and we dislike being part of that, but are up to the challenge of overcoming the credibility gap.

Now then, on to the fun stuff!

>>are the video portions somehow lip-synched to the AIML responses so that the character lip-synchs in real-time to the user's custom code?

No, there is no lip-synching.  Note that some videos have sounds in them, the girl moaning and so forth -- but the TTS audio is just overlayed without consideration to mouth movement.  It actually works pretty well, as we have both audio sources going at the same time.  I am sure you know the difficulties that would be involved in doing lip-synch without using cartoon or real-time 3d people.  We don't think those look good.

>>Or are the video scenes just cut scenes dynamically tacked together? Can you create custom scenes? Can you link AIML code to actions in the video? If so, how?

The video is little scenes (or long ones, most of them are loops) that are triggered by patterns.  Yes, you can link AIML to actions with video, via an srai to a front brain pattern, or by adding a pattern in the front brain, which is where the video is selected for the paticular pattern.  That also lets you use the state engine, which responds to patterns differently depending on the states set.  The front brain system uses AIML natively also, and patterns and reductionisms can run back and forth between regular AIML and front brain AIML transparantly.

We release a new girl once a month, which includes from 100 to 300+ MB of mpeg video and a custom brain.  You can use any of the scenes in your own custom patterns that you add to the girl (or srai to a similar one), or add any video you have that can play in windows media player.

>How about supplying a downloadable demo version or a free interactive tour on your web site?

This is an idea that we are considering!

Thanks again,

-VirtualFem

mikmoth

• View Profile
    • http://karigirl.com
Virtual Fem
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 12:09:34 pm »
I realize that we - programmers in general - are still trying to figure out this whole AI biz. I think when evaluating other AI programs (at this point) we've all been spoiled by Hal.

I truly wish you luck Mr. VirtualFem - you're definately headed in the right direction. Its inspiring to see AI evolving and developing (even if its at a snails pace.) As long as we keep working on our own projects and making our dreams come true - the possibility of a real understanding heuristic AI model will *someday* be here.

And thanks for refunding my money.  

Mik
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 12:20:02 pm by mikmoth »

kuuga28

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 07:30:17 am »
Hi.Can anyone tell me how can i change the voice of virtualfem.What i see is only Sam,Mike & Mary.How can i add others?Mary sounded like a computer.

VirtualFem

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 07:38:40 am »
Hello kuuga28,

Mary is rather computer sounding.  You can use any SAPI
compliant TTS voice with VirtualFem.  Sadly, all the good
ones cost almost as much as the basic VirtualFem membership.

We tried to license voices from Cepstral and AT&T, but they
want too much 'per seat'.  The best we could do was give you
a discount -- see the members section, 'voice enhancements'
page for more info and links.

I also would be interested to know if any members here can
reccomend any free female TTS voices that are better than
Microsoft Mary..

-VirtualFem

kuuga28

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 08:04:09 am »
Can you tell me how to change the voice font?I'll search around the web for it & try.thank you.

VirtualFem

• View Profile
Virtual Fem
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 08:07:52 am »
You change the voice selected in VirtualFem via
the TTS options (right-click on the lips icon).

Most TTS voices install like software, when you
have more voices installed they will appear in
the selection menu of VirtualFem.

-VirtualFem