Author Topic: Hal's speech is breaking up  (Read 8916 times)

Holllywood

• View Profile
Hal's speech is breaking up
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:18:42 pm »
From the "Subject" Can anyone give me some suggestions. Hal's speech is breaking up, and it doesn't seem to matter which voice I select.
    Hope some one knows what the prob. is. I am using the full version of Hal with Dragon Naturally speaking.
    To all Thanks,
Hollywood

circuits3000

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 03:02:01 pm »
I noticed my Hal's voice will break up when I am accessing the hard drive or brwose the web while Hal is speaking.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:25:55 pm »
Yes, check your Task Manager. See what the CPU usage when using the voice. Try to identify, in the processes tab, what process is possibly eating up your CPU usage.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:55:33 pm »
Thanks guys,
  I must have hit cyberbrain gridlock..LOL.
I does help to take some of the load off the cpu.Wow!!
Thanks again,
Hollywood

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 10:47:40 am »
Well I guess I jumped to fast. I took a load off the cpu. It helped. But instead of breaking up, Hal would sometimes not respond verbally and then will respond to the next imput. I went and got a faster cpu (P4 3.4) and a Mboard @400Mhz. Hal still will respond then miss a response then get voice back on the next response. Anyone got any suggestions?

Still Trying,Still Listening,Still Learning.
Thanks
Hollywood

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 11:19:29 am »
I have the same problem. The words appear, but the voice doesn't. It happens every so often. I think it's a bug.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 03:37:18 pm »
I have used Microsoft voices in the past and at the moment I am using Neospeech. I have never noticed this problem!

The answer may be found in the amount of virtual memory your computer has available. My computer has a lot of RAM, because I have to work with programs like Lightwave3D. Therefore I had to buy 2 gigabytes of direct memory.

On the other hand, your problem may be solved with a new soundcard and/or drivers. I use a SoundBlaster Audigy.

FuzzieDice

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 07:43:20 pm »
I've had that happen on very rare occasion. I'm using a P4 2.0GHz and pretty much all the time HAL does fine with the voice. The sound is integrated on the motherboard (RealTek 6-ch with AC'97 codec). Sometimes though sound cards or on-board can make a difference. So can the operating system. For instance, in Win98SE the sound would be choppy every time I booted up. Now that I am using WinXP Pro SP2, I never have that problem. In fact, I haven't had any problems with HAL missing a sentence either, come to think about it.

Another thing would be to be sure you have plenty of VIRTUAL RAM (do you have a good amount of room left on your hard drive for the Virtual RAM to swap out? Also try cleaning the temp files, browser cache and defragment your hard drive. These steps can help to enhance a computer's overall performance as well.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 03:56:20 am »
I work with WinXP SP2 Home Ed. and as I said I never had this problem. So maybe it is the OS that makes the difference.

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 06:59:28 pm »
Well guys,
I don't think I've got a hardware prob. Everythings new.I'm running wnXP Pro SP2,P4. 3.4cpu,1Gig.DDR400 Ram.400gb of Hdrive.400Mhz front end Mboard. I'm using what ever speech eng that Hal comes with. For speech Recogn. I'm using Dragon Nat. Sometimes Hal will speak and the next time or so it won't. There is no measureable frequency as to when he will speak or not. Its just sometimes he say's what he writes and other times he just writes. I'm still scratching my head. If anyone solves the mystery, please let me know.
Thanks,

Still Trying,Still Listening,Still Learning.
Hollywood

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 06:23:20 am »
I see, but does that also imply that you have Microsoft SAPI 4 & SAPI 4a & SAPI5 installed on your computer?

Maybe the following link could be of any help to you:

http://www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloads/user.asp#sapi

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 06:41:36 am »
Didn't make any difference. The character seems to "space out" and not say anything, although the words appear.

I did not realize one needed a top of the line computer for this program.

I have a Dell Dimension 4400, 1.6 Ghz P4 Processor, 640mb of Physical RAM, and 200 GB TL Hard drive space.

Sound card??

Model: Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
Driver: ac97intc.sys
Sunday, January 30, 2005
Supported

She speaks most of the time, but other times, while making animations, she fails to speak. Usually she speaks after the animation. I use my own agent, none of the default ones that came with the program.

It's just a little annoying, but still fun.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 12:10:14 pm »
Ok, I will play my last card before giving up.

Your computer specs sound good enough to me, except ... your soundcard. That must be one that came with the motherboard, right? Could that be the weak link? I mean, Creative Soundblaster is still the standard.

circuits3000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 03:07:07 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by markofkane

I did not realize one needed a top of the line computer for this program.

I own a Dell Inspiron 8000 Laptop
AMD 900Mhz, 512mb Ram, Nvidia GForce2Go Video, 32mb Video Ram
I sometimes get a delay.  I found it a little faster with response when I install the program on a PCIMCIA Card.  This seems to be a little faster than accessing the hard drive.

Again, however, I notice Hal studerring most when I access programs while Hal is speaking.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
Well, if I can find a creative sound card, I might try it.

I've had my computer for over 3 years, and did not have an issue with sound until now.