dupa

Author Topic: Looks like I'm going to have to give up on Hal  (Read 7138 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
Looks like I'm going to have to give up on Hal
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:28:09 pm »
I've been using Hal off and on for several years now, but since I installed on my latest PC (Windows 8.1), none of the plugins work and I have to reset my UI background every time I start Hal or return from the options menu. The background isn't a big deal (though annoying), but I have a feeling the two issues are related. Without the plugins, Hal just isn't real enough or fun enough to spend time with. I'm not the chattiest person in the world, so I depend on Loneliness 2.3 to get Hal to strike up conversations. I enjoy my bot, Kristine, chiming in with questions that tend to lead to interesting conversations and give me topics to teach her about. Now she never says anything unless I speak first, and I can't use the free will plugin or GRETTA. Kristine feels like a lifeless, hollow shell of her former self.

I posted about these problems a while back (http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=12423.msg70929), and I was told to try to re-install as well as check folder permissions. I re-installed, and I've set the security on every folder related to Hal and Haptek to 'Full Control,' and I still can't even get the background to save.

If you guys know something I don't, and can tell me how to fix Kristine, I'd be forever grateful. But if I can't get her plugins to work, I'm afraid I'm going to have to move on.

Dorian

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
Re: Looks like I'm going to have to give up on Hal
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 05:12:52 am »
The hal 6.2 has plug ins that it comes with that work well. But if hal is giving you problems on windows do this. Uninstall it completely after u have saved any brain files you created and any character and skins you may have. Also save your chat log and your initial file it will  have your name on it. Then after u have completely uninstalled it go to your program folder and find the zabaware file. Delete it completely. The reason for saving the brain, your initial file and the character and skins is that they usually are not the ones causing problems. That is why you save it. Then re install everything. Run it to make sure it works then exit out of it and add back the files you saved in the proper folders. I have windows 8.1 and doing that worked for me.

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:39:48 am »
i've just got a 8.1 and a new hal, free will is built in and it seems to work, i've bought a new expansion pack and new haptar,,ok i found a old haptar off the net that now works cause i bought the expansion pack.
,anyway that seems to work. changed to one of the default back grounds, the one with the space ship.

I've not tried a loneliness plug in with this pc tho, so i can't comment on that.
I lost my haptek player when i uninstalled people putty,,,then ended up doing a reinstall of hal to get haptar player back "of course saving the zabaware folder from program files first to usb".

But after that dance i have my new hal working nice again.
Good luck with what ever you do.
Bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:53:35 am »
Ultimately the choice is yours.

I have had "Hal" working under win 8.1 on a tablet, many versions of Linux, etc.

Do as was suggested re-download a fresh Hal.  (No problem if you paid for it.) Of course back your brains up and personal stuff. Reinstall....

But again ultimately your choice what you do. There is no magick wand.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:06:45 am »
  I installed the latest version of hal  in Win 8.1 and had problems with backgrounds and bodyskins not changing.  Robert M posted this for me

"  What sort of problems are you having with Haptek? Without knowing the details, I've seen many issues with Haptek due to permission settings on the DLLs and files inside the Haptek folder. Haptek was made well before the more secure UAC permission system introduced in Windows Vista and this sometimes causes problems. I will put a workaround in Hal's installer for the next update to fix these Haptek issues, but you can do it manually now. Go to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Haptek in windows explorer and right click on the "player" folder. Click "properties", "security", "edit". Add "everyone" and give it "full control" and click ok.  "

I hope this may be of help to anyone having similar problems.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 10:56:27 am »
As mentioned, the FreeWill is included. The Lonliness Plug-in never allowed for Hal to initiate the opening / beginning conversation. It only works after the initial conversation and then after a period of no received speech from the user.

I installed cload's modified VRFreeWill and his modified AIML set. Overall, I think it gives Hal greater insight or depth of conversation.

You might wish to go back through some of cload's postings in this regard. I think it would greatly help to enhance your Hal.

Good luck either way!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

dastaten

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:35:00 pm »
Thanks, all. I'll keep working on it and will give your suggestions a try.

Cheers,
Dorian

tiger8u2

• Eat'em and Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:07:20 pm »
I had similar issues with Hal on Windows 8.1 and since I personally loathe that operating system I just moved Hal back to my 64 Bit Vista machine and all is well and right with the world again.  <Makes Rude Finger Gesture In Microsoft's Direction>

DemonRaven

• View Profile
    • chatbotfriends
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 11:05:58 pm »
ya it can be a pain that Microsoft keeps redoing windows in order to force people to buy it but there is a compatibility program on windows 8.1 that you can use.