dupa

Author Topic: Installing & running HAL from an external HD  (Read 3284 times)

Smokey

• View Profile
Installing & running HAL from an external HD
« on: April 07, 2007, 02:51:08 pm »
Ok,I have read the posts about installing HAL on a memorystick.  My question is...[?]if I install HAL on a portable external HD would I be able to run it on any of my laptops or pc?  Or would I be limited to only one of them? I have one laptop and one pc that are XP and a new laptop that is VISTA.[:)]

Smokey

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again.
James R. Cook
[/b]
Smokey

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:16:58 am »
Hi Smoky
Being as Hal writes to your register and also puts some files in one or more directories I don't think it would be as portable as you want.
The nice think about pen ram,thumb rams or what ever you want to call them is that reading and writing to ram is much much faster than writing to the hard disk.
Bill

Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:24:28 pm »
Thank you for the reply. [:D] I will probably use the thumbdrive.

Smokey [8D]
Smokey

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:07:02 am »
Although I have not moved Hal to my Penram which contains 1 gigabyte I understand from Onthecuttingedge that when loaded in ram Hal runs super fast.
I copied all of my music CD's onto my laptop and then copied them onto my penram. In that way I can take my music with me to work. I just plug it into the USB port and MS takes over. Being that tax season is almost over I might try putting Hal on it in a week or so.
Bill

danbaltzell

• View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/danbaltzell/ai
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 11:25:49 am »
I was curious about this too since I thought I read some mention about Hal being particular to a machine and checking online for verification,  perhaps that's just the install though.  Maybe a script to read/write from the registry and files and backup after closing for portability might be a method.