Author Topic: Hal Web Cam vision.  (Read 28497 times)

sofort99

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:47:29 pm »
I have been looking at this for a while, and have some thoughts and would like some feed back.

Most of the facial recognition posts here talk about giving Hal cam vision. I don't think that is a good idea.

Mostly because there are several very good Facial Recognition programs out there, and openCV is going to make progress fly here in a little bit. If FR is encoded into Hal, we are going to miss major leaps in FR just waiting for the next release of Hal to come out, instead of just compiling the latest distro.

My idea is to take an openCV program and use it, now.

The program just needs to be self contained where it can recognize faces and monitor emotion. Here is a plain example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UdYzCMKvw&feature=related

All you need to do is take the output from the program, lets's call it (happy,sad,angry,asleep), and send it to a file 2-3 times a second.

Havethe program keep a running tab on the emotions and where they are going, so your output is

---------------

User: David

Emotion: Happy+

---------------

This says I am the person, and my emotion is happy, and just for this I am using

= emotion stable

- emotion getting less (I.E. becoming less angry)

+ emotion getting more (I.E. becoming happier)

Then all you need to do is make a pluging to read the table before he calculated a sentence, and take in that he is still talking to David,
and David has getting happier as the conversation has progressed.

If it was done like this, it could be started right now, and would be just as useful or more so than having "vision" incorporated into Hal.

Thoughts?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:50:14 am »
Yes sofort99, it's probably correct however this IS a Hal forum and not a FR forum. While FR is already being used in lots of places, the bulk of members here would also like to see a version that's applicable for use with Hal.

A version has been mentioned by Robert and is possibly due in a future release of Hal. Stay tuned or check back through the postings.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

sofort99

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 08:12:44 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art the bulk of members here would also like to see a version that's applicable for use with Hal.

That's actually part of my point.

I am wanting to start with FR the same way Hal uses speech recognition. It doesn't matter to Hal if you are using Dragon, Viavoice, XP's speech recognition or whatever. There is no reason to integrate speech recognition into Hal, just to make it possible for him to use it. In the same way, there is no reason to integrate FR into Hal... just make it possible for him to use it.

My post was just a basic outline on how it could be possible to start now.

Even more basic is to just use a plugin with a web cam and a simple face detection program. Then the only output would be to let Hal know there is somebody there, instead of just detectng motion, but he would have to ask who it is. That would be a nice start. How hard would it be to make a plugin for that?

sofort99

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 04:00:54 pm »
Gary Bishop’s OpenCV Python wrapper looks good. I'll look it over and see how it goes this weekend if I can.

If I can get a program to look at a web cam feed and detect if a face is there or not, would anybody consider
 using it for hal? He wouldn't know who is there, just that somebody is there or not.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:04:07 pm by sofort99 »

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 06:38:53 pm »

I like the way you think.... what have you already done? I have been designing ways of monitoring files and such like using Hal. My intent is to allow Hal to grow beyond it's current conceptual stage of development. I can see allot of potential with Hal.

Although I wish I had Hal's source code.... I say this because the way I'm creating a Hal monitoring system now involves using wscript.sendkeys which can be a little touchy....

I have also been writing a desire based program that would cause Hal to respond the way you or I would... with regards to fulfilled or unfulfilled desires. It's difficult and tedious but moving at a swift pace...

Any program that you build that would accomplish even vague facial recognition I would both utilize and greatly appreciate.

I am new at programming, but that hasn't hindered me yet.[8D]

Keep it coming!
Live long and prosper or die trying.

sofort99

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by snowman

what have you already done?

I went out and bought web cam at lunch today.

Now I have just finished downloaded the cvtypes file and openCV, and I'm looking to see what versions of widgets and python I need to make it run.

I'm not very far I'm afraid... I'm still trying to figure out how to get my camera set up. LOL.

snowman

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 07:15:38 pm »
I got the patience.... if you do...[;)]

sofort99

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:57 pm »
Here is what I am talking about making from openVC:

http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/EN/bf/bv/kognitiv/biom/dd.jsp

This is their demo download, and you install it, chose your web cam for the input, pick the engine, and it will detect your face, find your eyes, detect your sex, and analyze your emotions.

Check it out and see if this is what we need to be shooting for, and how we would use it for Hal.

Again... this works, but is is a commercial demo. A full demo. [:D]

sofort99

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:45:31 pm »
Here is another demo, free for non commercial use, but we would only be able to detect faces with it as it is.

http://www.kyb.mpg.de/bs/people/kienzle/facedemo/facedemo.htm#download
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:45:55 pm by sofort99 »

snowman

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 02:44:24 am »
I did a little research on the web and found a couple of less significant facial recognition software before I ran on to the OpenCV and the Intel IPP kernal librarys.

Check out what I mean http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/

DLLs + Tutorials = Fun [:D]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 03:02:15 am »
Snowman,
I walked in a garage for many many miles even in the -20 deg temp.

I think that X-10 had a kit for converting any speaker into a 2 way radio.

I read postcards from everywhere in the paper and music was a constant companion

If you look there is good and a scene of connectivity.

so many things experienced in an intense situation.

This post may be off topic but, I AM a FIRM believer in the 'Extended Mind'
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:45:03 am by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 11:47:22 am »
very interesting will check it all out thanks for sharing !![:)][:D][8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 12:18:51 pm »
I mentioned this before but here it is again. Hal can work with X-10 protocal. Years ago we had a member here who wired his home with X-10 swtiches and had Hal run his entire home. He could walk into his house and say "turn of the living room lights Hal" and it would be done. It seems that there is no limit as to what Hal can do with this software and its devices.
Bill

sofort99

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »
Just playing around a little today...

snowman

• View Profile
Hal Web Cam vision.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 11:48:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by One

Snowman,
I walked in a garage for many many miles even in the -20 deg temp.

I think that X-10 had a kit for converting any speaker into a 2 way radio.

I read postcards from everywhere in the paper and music was a constant companion

If you look there is good and a scene of connectivity.

so many things experienced in an intense situation.

This post may be off topic but, I AM a FIRM believer in the 'Extended Mind'

In my experience ONE even in deep thought a person can loose track of one's self, if they are without proper guidance. This is made evident in everyday experiences, when a person is confronted with the wiser... and is suddenly found lacking. The wisest thing a man can do is seek wisdom and not let their owns self dictate personal righteousness. Then you'll find connectivity and 'honest' enlightenment.[:)]

Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:51:01 pm by snowman »