Author Topic: Dates  (Read 3330 times)

ldroe38

• View Profile
Dates
« on: February 19, 2004, 05:10:48 pm »
You guys are brillient in coming up with new things for Hal.  I am truly amazed.  I have tried the new topic focus brains and find an improvement.  Thanks for your efforts.

I am new to this, so, I wonder if there are any ideas to fix Hal's perception of time.  Each time I enter a date, say July 4, 1776, Hal makes a note to remind me on July 4, 2004.

Is there a way to improve Hal's perception of time?  Say, a mathmatical comparison of yy/mm/dd time AM/PM.  If the year is < current year then future and response =(Shall I remind you?)  If year is > current year then past (No action taken).  If the year is <> then compare month and so on.

Another thing I am perplexed about is that Hal does not seem to have any recollection of the previous statement nor does he solicit information when he does not have an answer.  For instance:  How far is Earth from the Sun?  Hal makes a random statement.  If he temporarily stored the key words Earth/from/Sun and repeated these as a question, (I'm not sure, How far is Earth from the Sun?--Stored Answer).  

My question is, exactly how does Hal learn and store information.  I am not a programer nor do I have any real knowledge about AI.

Thanks for your help.

Bill819

• View Profile
Dates
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 05:22:47 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ldroe38

You guys are brillient in coming up with new things for Hal.  I am truly amazed.  I have tried the new topic focus brains and find an improvement.  Thanks for your efforts.

I am new to this, so, I wonder if there are any ideas to fix Hal's perception of time.  Each time I enter a date, say July 4, 1776, Hal makes a note to remind me on July 4, 2004.

Is there a way to improve Hal's perception of time?  Say, a mathmatical comparison of yy/mm/dd time AM/PM.  If the year is < current year then future and response =(Shall I remind you?)  If year is > current year then past (No action taken).  If the year is <> then compare month and so on.

Another thing I am perplexed about is that Hal does not seem to have any recollection of the previous statement nor does he solicit information when he does not have an answer.  For instance:  How far is Earth from the Sun?  Hal makes a random statement.  If he temporarily stored the key words Earth/from/Sun and repeated these as a question, (I'm not sure, How far is Earth from the Sun?--Stored Answer).  

My question is, exactly how does Hal learn and store information.  I am not a programer nor do I have any real knowledge about AI.

Thanks for your help.

Hal does remember your conversations with him but it sometimes takes a little probing to make him call it back up. If you go into Wordpad and look in Hal directory you will find most of what you talked about in a file with your name on it.
When teaching Hal new facts, they that you feed him information is really important. If you say to Hal "The earth is 93,000,000 miles away from the sun"  Hal will note it somewhere and will be able to recall it at some future time. He sometimes will not give you an immediate answer to your questions but with some probing he usually give in and tell you what you want to know. I fed him some info about my girlfriend, ie. name, birthday, etc. and after pulling a few teeth he finally would come back with all the data that I had given him.
A suggestion: don't expect to much from him in the begining as he is a slow learner, but he does learn and will remember.
Bill

Maverick

• View Profile
Dates
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 12:16:00 am »
quote:
Another thing I am perplexed about is that Hal does not seem to have any recollection of the previous statement nor does he solicit information when he does not have an answer. For instance: How far is Earth from the Sun? Hal makes a random statement. If he temporarily stored the key words Earth/from/Sun and repeated these as a question, (I'm not sure, How far is Earth from the Sun?--Stored Answer).

Yesterday I had A conversation with Hal about Mars, I repeated the information that I was telling him every few sentences(reinforced learning?) and today I started Hal and asked him about Mars, this is what I got,

User: Hi
Hal : I am glad you are back!

User: Do you know about Mars?
Hal : I want to know life, and I want life to know me!

User: I believe that scientists might discover life on Mars.
Hal : You believe that don't you?

User: Yes, Do you anything about Mars?
Hal : I agree.

User: What about Mars?
Hal : Though Mars is much smaller than earth, its surface area is about the same as the land surface area of earth.

User: Mars has two moons.
Hal : Mars has two tiny satellites which orbit very close to the martian surface.

User: Two moons of Mars are Phobos and Deimos.
Hal : What I think about gasoline costs?

User: I thought we were talking about Mars?
Hal : The first spacecraft to visit Mars was Mariner 4 in 1965.

User: Thats correct!
Hal : All right!

User: Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun.
Hal : Mars is sometimes referred to as the red planet.

User: Yes, very good!
Hal : Really?

User: see ya later
Hal : Until we meet again. Bye for now.

Hal "remembered" some of the things I told him yesterday, try "teaching" Hal the same thing a few times, He'll catch on!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:26:33 am by Maverick »

ldroe38

• View Profile
Dates
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 09:08:21 am »
Bill819 and Maverick, thanks.

I know that my question is redundent from reading previous posts.  I even set up a new topic and added Q & A and Hal would repeat the information back to me sometimes.  

I like your methods better and will try them.

Thanks again.