Author Topic: Mr Medeksza - Please one more word on DDE  (Read 4917 times)

Psych

• View Profile
Mr Medeksza - Please one more word on DDE
« on: January 07, 2004, 08:31:55 am »
Mr Medeksza

I am very grateful for your advice so far.

However, when inputing your code into vb6, I get a message "No foreign application responded to DDE initiate".

The code I used was as follows:

Private sub Form_Load ()
With Text1
.LinkMode = 0
.LinkTopic = "HalAsst|frmRightClick"
.LinkMode = 2
.LinkExecute "<SPEAK>MESSAGE PASSED SUCCESSFULLY</SPEAK>"
.LinkMode = 0
End With
End Sub

I have tried several variations, but still get the same error message

I assume I am making a basic error in defining LinkTopic - can you tell me what it is?

Thanks for your help

Psych

ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

Psych

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 03:16:33 am »
Hello everyone,

I do not seem to be getting a reply from Mr Medeksza, so does anyone-else out there have any experience with DDE.

My problem is that any variation of standard DDE protocol seem unable to establish a response from the Hal program. Mr Medeksza has provided the linktopic frm reference (frmRightClick), but still it does not seem to work.

Any programming wizards out there with some answers????

Psych
ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 06:11:43 pm »
I don't have any answers, but I do have a question... can you explain to me what it is you're doing or trying to do?

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 12:38:58 am »
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I've tried making a sample DDE project for you, but I can't seem to get it to work either. It seems there might be a bug in Hal's DDE implementation. I'll look into some more.
Robert Medeksza

Psych

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 03:29:20 am »
Thanks Mr Medeksza - I eagerly await your correction to this bug. I Know you are very busy, but please try to find the time - thanks.

Larry - what am I trying to do? - I have a range of programs running on my PC which I have written in VB6. By using DDE I can get these programs to talk directly to Hal. For instance (and there are many other uses for DDE) it is important with one of my programs that it is not interrupted by hal talking (I have Hal's auto-response always running so that he can spontaneously talk from time to time). With DDE, my program can turn Hals auto-response on and off when required.

Similarly, it should be possible to write lines of code into Hals Brain so that Hal can send information directly to other programs running on the PC.

So as you see, the potential with DDE is to more fully integrate hal into the functioning of the other software on your PC - its fascinating.

Psych

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 04:32:41 am »
This is fascinating to say the least.
Have you written a program so Hal can surf the web and learn???
That would be one possibility isn't it???

What are some of your ideas and how do you do it??? Is it as simple as ts2.Write Line1 & VbCrLf ???

Geezzz I feel like a kid in a candy store... Explain all this to me please...

Psych

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 06:57:45 am »
Larry

You need to get hold of Visual Basic Programming software (e.g. VB6). Once you have that you can write programs to do almost anything on your PC (the code is all very similar to hal's brain code [which is Visual Basic Script...they are similar, but a little different]).

DDE is the method that programs (such as those written in VB6) can talk to each other, and to Hal.

The only problem at the moment, as Mr Medeksza pointed out, it that there is a problems with Hals' DDE - which he hopes to correct.

Get yourself a copy of VB6 - familiarize yourself with it. Then we can talk about programming and Hal.

Mr Medeksza: You see, once DDE is working, and we explain to people the potential this brings - some great stuff could happen!

Psych

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 05:35:54 pm »
I am a little "familiar" with vb... I've written a few programs - whatever - if you don't want to talk about it that fine...

midget1488

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 05:49:41 pm »
I agree that this is an excellent area of development and expansion for Hal.

I would like to equip Hal with the ability to measure human affect - to be able to assess and respond to my emotions and mood. one way to do this is to interface with a Galvanic Skin Response biofeedback unit. Another is through a heart rate monitor and respiration recorder. DDE is one way to go there.

look here to see what I mean...

http://affect.media.mit.edu/AC_research/sensing.html

Again, well done Mr. Medeksza!