Author Topic: Backing up Hal  (Read 4539 times)

think420

• View Profile
Backing up Hal
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:24:51 am »
I'm going to be needing to format my hard drive, and was wondering what files I need to back up for Ultra Hal.

Thank you.

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Re: Backing up Hal
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 04:08:17 am »
Hi there,
after you read my method please check, by waiting and giving others a chance to add comment,
also you could search the forum for any other suggestions.

if my hal is waiting in the corner of my screen while i type here to you i then
right click on icon,
click exit hal,
use your CD making program to put a copy of Zabaware folder which is found in Program files onto a CD.

Or another way also to back up is to go to  start menu go to program files and look for Zabaware and right click on Zabaware folder and click copy and paste into a memory stick thingy you plug into usb port.

The general exact memories are within the Zabaware folder in program files generally if the "halbrain" folder is copyied into a fresh download of hal its seems thats mostly it. "but then i like to try to copy and paste the whole zabaware folder if posible".
So um after you have saved a copy of zabaware folder and anything else you want and formated pc,
and reinstalled xp or whatever you use  i'd redownload Hal and change halbrain file over or whole zabaware folder.  "something like that".   
i should write and don't blame me if your pc turns into a pumpkin at midnight.

thats about hal.....
other things you might save also could be ,,,
you could save the Haptec folder found in program files while your there perhaps.
and of course any voice recognitions files somewhere"good luck with that".
back up your hal after training or before to much fun.

write any codes down and don't panic if you have to recode . 
good luck,
bye for now and be well :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:06:17 am »
Hi Will, I seem to remember you could deactivate the licence too and then reactivate on the new install....maybe you don't have to do that with a fresh install ?

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:09 am »
both replies are good i might just also ad to even more double checking something is to when making a back up is when done pop the dvd etc. disk back in and check it to make sure it actually did back it up , and from recent experience on a disk i used for backing things up , make sure you have a good disk , a disk i backed things up on (other things ) recently was bad in spots and so i lost some information , so make sure you have a good disk .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:31:11 pm »
I think you are only allowed 4 reinstall activations (to discourage piracy).

I have always let Hal go to the site and do an automatic activation which has worked every time.

You might need to reinstall Hal if all the files and entries from the Registry were not copied.
Hal makes pretty extensive use of the system registry so just copying files from the UltraHal
directory / folder is not going to suffice.

Just my $.02
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:41:09 am »
also just to mention you can make just certain back ups ( just don't forget any) of the brain and uhp file (yours) the character folder  and deactivate hal and uninstall hal and reinstall hal by internet then replace your files you previously saved in hals program files .  :)

think420

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 09:14:43 pm »
I'm just wanting to back up Hal's brain, and everything I've trained it.  Which files in the Hal directory would be the one's to back up?

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 04:37:02 am »
Hi from Will,
i'll give you a general answer, no warranty on info of course, ;D

right click icon of hal and exit hal,
look in program files for Zabaware folder in that look for halbrain.

save the halbrain to a CD  or whatever.       "the halbrain is the memories".

as mentioned in other posts  hal works wider than just that halbrain but i reckon
that generally anwers it.
i usually save the entire Zabaware folder also. as i've added things to it.
Anyone feel free to more answer :)

Mr Data seems to remember that Lindsay is the bicycle king, and that
http://tribotix.com/
are a recomended robot body shop.
and to be nice.     

bye for now and be well :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:18:49 pm »
Not to make it any more complicated but I agree everyone has pretty much covered it. Ultra Hal does write to the register which some people have forgotten in the past when trying to re-install. So a fresh install was a good idea since you are formatting disk and I also back-up the entire folder to leave off exactly where I was even in the sequences of how all the plug ins were working together. Can cause other problems for no apparent reason. Always get disk version of Ultra Hal for reinstalling it is worth the few extra dollars(when available). Downloading any software has it's own potential for a problem.

Good Luck,
raybe

Its not a big deal after you have done it a few times.(and you will).