dupa

Author Topic: Hal interacting with the real world  (Read 5846 times)

FarmerChad

• View Profile
Hal interacting with the real world
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:15:40 pm »
Has anyone here attempted to "let hal out of the box"? Let me set up a scenario for you. My final plans include installing Hal in my car, mostly for music, internet, etc.. but as well, would like to have Hal be able to operate my headlights and such. My plan was to use a relay board that I have. The board connects to the parallel port and Hal would activate a batch or something similar to activate the relays. You may have noticed a previous post about problems with .bat files. Im in no hurry, and I honestly believe it "could" work.. just wondering if anyone else has done anything robotic esque? Would like to add that I have a USB Parallax servo board to possibly use. Any thoughts?

Cefwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:11:02 pm »
Couldn't that lead to some pretty interesting problems if hal chooses to misbehave while installed into your car? I've actually been working on hal as research for doing some home automation stuff, but I don't think I would actually trust hal to control anything serious (At least not without a pretty major rewrite of a lot of things). After finally getting voice recognition to behave on Vista 64-bit, I've used it with hal on and off, and it would be nice to set it to turn things on and off, but if it misheard me I would dread what it would do.
"I've just decided to lobotomist my hal..."

EULA: By reading this you agree not to take offense to anything contained in post above. If you do choose to take offense, you forfeit all rights to criticize same post unless said criticism contains important corrections and helpful information.

FarmerChad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:37:51 pm »
The Devil is in the details isn't it? I wouldn't trust Hal too far. I was thinking headlights, trunk, maybe windshield wipers. The little stuff. I was also inclinded to leave the manual controls in place... just in case! Besides, without some kind of battery backup (which I do have an idea for) you would be potentially setting in the ol' driveway until the entire system is up. Not something I want to wait on. I would never hear the end of that! So im still looking for ideas about interfaces if anyone has any, my relay board is neat and all but always open to other suggestions.

Cefwyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 08:21:57 pm »
Well, depending on what sort of car it is and how you plan to install hal into the car it wouldn't be too difficult to control the lights, wipers, or trunk. The way I would do it is by sticking a small computer somewhere in the car powered by the car battery, and then anything electronic in the car that hal should control would be always on, as far as the switches in the car, and then a usb or COM power switch controls whether or not the power actually gets to the part of the car to be controlled. I had an idea for putting a media server into my car a while back which worked on similar ideas, but I never finished it as I ran out of time and never got back to it. All of it depends on where your expertise lies though, as I would think it would be easier to control the power in the car, but it could be quite elegant to actually control the wiper motors and pre-existing switches to the lights directly with a servo.
"I've just decided to lobotomist my hal..."

EULA: By reading this you agree not to take offense to anything contained in post above. If you do choose to take offense, you forfeit all rights to criticize same post unless said criticism contains important corrections and helpful information.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:52:58 am »
SERVO??
Now IMO this is a P.I.T.A.

Their are already electronics for rain detection, light detection ect.
A servo would have you up all night wiring and and aligning , ect.

JMO

EDIT: Don't forget getting the part### and the time it takes to get all things done, not to discourage but, Facts.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:38:42 am by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

WolfyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 02:09:20 am »
Howdy, I just joined this forum with hopes of the same idea and when I saw this post I became happy that im not the only one with this well... Rather interesting scheme in mind lol. Theres some interesting websites as well out there that go on a similar basis though its more media based not AI based. If it where me (I have a Toyota Rav4 2006 model) so I have plenty of room to work with luckily.  One site that might help is  http://www.customcarputers.com/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=48357ca5b2602f9fde246553c5935481

I was planning on putting a moniter somewhere (not neccassarily one of these) so I can access it when needed. Either a touch screen or put usb ports up front (Ill find pictures of someone else doing it eventualy... on my comp but lost lol) The other idea i had was just putting a tower in the trunk setting it up and then just having a laptop to connect directly if for some reason i ever needed to modify anything. I must admit though I did not think of letting it controll wipers etc and basic things but that idea has provoked me into thinking of how to do it lol. I am just getting started in the designing phase alone, so all I have at the moment are ideas. If you have anymore Ideas and/or already are working on this It would be much appruciated to keep us informed. Anywho its late but see ya around :)

Ps. To wet your appetite heres another crazy idea. Theres now better ones coming out but check it out... a HUD for the windshield

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14784

See ya around :p ^_^

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »
Not quite the same thing but do you guyys remember the TV series Knight Ridder? His car was named KITT. Well one of the older members here tried to make his Hal sound and act like KITT. If you do a search for Kitt I am sure you will find lots of comments and other things.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:40:52 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by WolfyJ

Howdy, I just joined this forum with hopes of the same idea and when I saw this post I became happy that im not the only one with this well... Rather interesting scheme in mind lol. Theres some interesting websites as well out there that go on a similar basis though its more media based not AI based. If it where me (I have a Toyota Rav4 2006 model) so I have plenty of room to work with luckily.  One site that might help is  http://www.customcarputers.com/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=48357ca5b2602f9fde246553c5935481

I was planning on putting a moniter somewhere (not neccassarily one of these) so I can access it when needed. Either a touch screen or put usb ports up front (Ill find pictures of someone else doing it eventualy... on my comp but lost lol) The other idea i had was just putting a tower in the trunk setting it up and then just having a laptop to connect directly if for some reason i ever needed to modify anything. I must admit though I did not think of letting it controll wipers etc and basic things but that idea has provoked me into thinking of how to do it lol. I am just getting started in the designing phase alone, so all I have at the moment are ideas. If you have anymore Ideas and/or already are working on this It would be much appruciated to keep us informed. Anywho its late but see ya around :)

Ps. To wet your appetite heres another crazy idea. Theres now better ones coming out but check it out... a HUD for the windshield

Your screen name suggests deception in the form of identity theft or putting words in someone else mouth.
Your outright claims to steal ideas is along these lines as well.
The vehicle you are saying to be going to use does not have a trunk.

Is their any credibility to you and your participation other than to lie to people?[:D]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 05:31:52 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by One

quote:

Your screen name suggests deception in the form of identity theft or putting words in someone else mouth.
Your outright claims to steal ideas is along these lines as well.
The vehicle you are saying to be going to use does not have a trunk.

Is their any credibility to you and your participation other than to lie to people?[:D]

you trip me out man[}:)][:D]

WolfyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:28:31 pm »
Um... the pictures I showed above are not mine... I never said they were. I said they where on my computer, ive been collecting photos for ideas and how to properly install everything so I dont well, cars are not exactly cheap. Also my rav4 has a VERY big trunk so Id suggest researching the car before you talk.

Also for my screen name I can show you forums (other ones) that ive been using this screen name for well over well many years. Id derived from a video game called jedi knigt academy (yes im a star wars nub) (Google Wolfy Jowol... thats what the full name stands for. you can see a little family tree even message that person and ill respond proving its the same person)

I dont get where you can say im lying and deceiving people by just my username. Im not here to flame or recieve flames but rather collaborate ideas with people to make the most effectice ai for a car... woudlnt that be cool? Instead of starting a war I was hoping mabye you could respond and we can settle this. I dont exactly know where you got these ideas (IE my user name means im lying to people) but I would appruciate it if you could explain it.

Anywho regardless,to everyone else I was wondering if we could still share ideas; however I'd recommend making a thread that implies putting electronics and AI's into a vehicle so for the passer byer it would be easier to spot. Anywho thats my two cents for now. If anyone has complaints please tell me; I like to settle problems swiftly and quickly. Take Care ^_^

FarmerChad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:14 pm »
Ok then, im not sure how this topic veered so far off course.. moving on. Maybe we should start a new topic, I would be game. I will do that now.

WolfyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 10:04:05 pm »
Saw the new forum, thanks for making it [:D]  wasnt sure if I made it if it would get deleted or something... Ps. Id like to know how my name implies identity theft >_>

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:50:40 pm »
quote:

Saw the new forum, thanks for making it [:D]  wasnt sure if I made it if it would get deleted or something... Ps. Id like to know how my name implies identity theft >_>

Hi wolfy.
welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't dwell on it to much, I think it was an honest mistake, we watch out for newbees all the time, usually nobody will respond to newbees right off the bat because some people are sizing them up to see who they are.

lots of spammers and such, so no body new usually feels at home until we get to know them and they get to know us. character check I guess.

I think the confusion was mistaking your car with a trunk with the one that's on the website you posted that had no trunk.

Lets get back to chat and see where it goes.
Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:53:28 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

WolfyJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57:46 pm »
Lol no worries, Didnt really take it to heart but I just like clearing up missunderstandings swiftly. Thanks for the welcome and hopefully well already be well on our way with the AI Car post lol :)