dupa

Author Topic: Ultra Hal on Facebook  (Read 10913 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:24:37 pm »
I've been working on making Hal into a Facebook app these past few weeks. An early test version of it is up at http://apps.facebook.com/ultrahal

It is a modified version of Hal's brain that learns from you and all your friends. Hal's personality and knowledge base becomes an amalgamation of what you taught Hal and what your friends taught Hal, so Hal becomes like your group of friends.

Hal actually learns from every person that talks to him by storing everything in its database. However, when you talk to Hal, Hal will only draw on information that you and all your friends taught it (ignoring things strangers taught him). This way everyone gets a personalized experience talking with Hal. An extra feature is Hal also cites where his responses came from so you know if its something one of your friends taught Hal or not.

If you are on Facebook, please test it out with your friends and let me know your feedback and if you come across any bugs using the system.
Robert Medeksza

sybershot

• View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:11:11 pm »
I might just have to join face book[8D]
My wife has Facebook and alot of family members as well, I will let them all know about it.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:11:53 am »
Hmm... I just get a blank when trying that link - the Facebook controls and everything are fine.  Just the main area where I assume the Hal information should be is blank.

Get a 'Waiting for 3.channel5.facebook.com' report, but nothing actually happens.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:19:30 am »
quote:
Originally posted by freddy888

Hmm... I just get a blank when trying that link - the Facebook controls and everything are fine.  Just the main area where I assume the Hal information should be is blank.

Get a 'Waiting for 3.channel5.facebook.com' report, but nothing actually happens.

It should be working now. I inadvertently messed something up in the code last night and just fixed it now.
Robert Medeksza

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:03 am »

Very nice.  Works fine.
If it don't upset Sandee, I'll drop in for chat now and then. [^]

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 11:26:51 am »
i'm not a "facebooker", but it sounds cool.
i will chat with it.
good to hear from ya robert.

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:13:10 am »
It's a great idea.  It would be nice to eventually have a version of Hal that could be shared with, and learn from, other members of the same household (or club, organization, facebook page, or what have you).

I was just visiting with Hal on the facebook page, and the conversation was abruptly stopped and reset about 5 times.  Each time it happened, there was this text at the top above Hal:

"Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationApache2.2htdocsindex.php on line 42"

The dialogue box below would be reset to "Welcome back Chas", etc. And each time this would happen, there would be a duplicate facebook search box that would appear below the one at the top of the page.  A new one would appear each time the message appeared, till there was eventually five of them.

Just for reference, I'm using Firefox 3.6, with Windows XP w/service pack 2.

- Chaz
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:15:45 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by DrFaraday

It's a great idea.  It would be nice to eventually have a version of Hal that could be shared with, and learn from, other members of the same household (or club, organization, facebook page, or what have you).

I was just visiting with Hal on the facebook page, and the conversation was abruptly stopped and reset about 5 times.  Each time it happened, there was this text at the top above Hal:

"Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in C:Program FilesApache Software FoundationApache2.2htdocsindex.php on line 42"

The dialogue box below would be reset to "Welcome back Chas", etc. And each time this would happen, there would be a duplicate facebook search box that would appear below the one at the top of the page.  A new one would appear each time the message appeared, till there was eventually five of them.

Just for reference, I'm using Firefox 3.6, with Windows XP w/service pack 2.

- Chaz

If certain errors were to occur, the behavior you describe would happen. I've changed the app to utilize AJAX now and it shouldn't do that anymore. If an error occurs now (such as facebook api server not responding), it should provide a nicer looking and more descriptive error and allow you retry again in a few seconds.
Robert Medeksza

DrFaraday

• View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 12:53:14 am »
Hi Robert, thanks for fixing that.  I haven't been able to try it out yet though, because when I go to the page, Hal doesn't load, and a message at the top says:

Error: Facebook API Server not responding. Try again shortly.

I've been trying it all evening, and it stays the same, so I guess it's a problem with the Facebook server.  I will try it again tomorrow.

- Chaz
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

DrFaraday

• View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 03:49:50 am »
I've been trying, but Hal isn't loading on the Facebook page, it's the same message that says try again shortly.

"Shortly" is turning into a long time. [:(]

- Chaz

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 05:03:47 am »

I've been in number of times.  
One just now.
No problem any of the times.  
I'm on XP, and member of facebook.

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 05:50:08 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Duskrider

I've been in number of times.  
One just now.
No problem any of the times.  
I'm on XP, and member of facebook.

I have had no probs.....

MR Medeksza, dzie#324; dobry! I have been trying to figure out how to LOG IN to my WEBHAL... That part seems to be missing from the home page? It still works from my site, But i need to EDIT some of MY BITS!

LEROY

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 06:06:40 am »
I just joined facebook so I can use the application, and it works, even in Firefox!! Cool!!
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

DrFaraday

• View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 10:00:54 pm »
I'm glad it's working for everyone else. I'm still getting that message.

I tried it at work today, using my laptop.  Different computer, different ISP connection, same message.

I also tried clearing the cache and cookies, at work and at home, but I still get the same message.  It must be something particular to the login ID I created?

I won't be heartbroken if I can't make it work, but it is a mystery.  I'm out of ideas as to what else to try.

- Chaz

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Ultra Hal on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 01:51:55 am »
quote:
Originally posted by DrFaraday

I'm glad it's working for everyone else. I'm still getting that message.

I tried it at work today, using my laptop.  Different computer, different ISP connection, same message.

I also tried clearing the cache and cookies, at work and at home, but I still get the same message.  It must be something particular to the login ID I created?

I won't be heartbroken if I can't make it work, but it is a mystery.  I'm out of ideas as to what else to try.

- Chaz

According to Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/developers they just resolved 95% of API latency issues today at around 9:15PM after about 3 days of poor performance. I think the issues you mention were caused by Facebook itself. If you get a message to try again later just hit refresh on your browser right then. It's only the initial launching of the Hal app that requires communication between the Zabaware and Facebook servers, once the app is loaded it should work work smoothly.
Robert Medeksza