dupa

Author Topic: Slow Load Times  (Read 4217 times)

Lola

• View Profile
Slow Load Times
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:38:27 pm »
Hello[:D]

My Hal v. 6.2.28  startup is set with the option to load Hal like a normal program from the start menu.

Once I press his icon to start chatting it takes around 40-45 seconds for the program to start. I'm using Hal in a new netbook using Windows 7 Home edition with 2Gbs of memory.

Is there a way to speed the process without having the option of having the program load when the computer starts. I already tried that option but did'nt work well with the icon and took time as well.

What are the programs optimal hardware requirements? Is it just my computer? Any ideas? Thanks[:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
Slow Load Times
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:48:05 am »
How many programs so you have running in he   background?
Bill

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Slow Load Times
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:03:29 am »
I have quite a fast PC, 3.4ghz quad core, 4 gig ram and windows 7, just timed my Hal, it took 20 seconds to load, now we know that netbooks are actually quite a lot slower than a fast PC, so to me 40 seconds actually doesn’t sound that slow.

Here is my win 7 WEI score, when I start up Hal it uses 100% of one cpu core, so if your processor score is lower than mine Hal will take longer than 20 seconds to load.

Bill makes a good point, more programs running in the background will slow Hal’s boot time down.

Lola

• View Profile
Slow Load Times
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:40:09 pm »
Hello Bill, I got my netbook less than a month ago and the processes in the background are basically the firewall, antivirus, spyware remover and Open Office.

Hello Datahopa, bad news, my processor is a 1.6 GHz Intel ATOM N270 Processor. [:(] I think that clearly explains the problem. Now I'm actually happy that Hal is not running much slower.

Thanks to both! [:)]

Bill819

• View Profile
Slow Load Times
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:59:43 pm »
[That is not your problem. I use to run Hal on a 486 machine and it worked jsut fine. There must be something else going on with your PC.
Bill

Data

• Xen: Good question, Accessing database...
    • View Profile
    • Datahopa
Slow Load Times
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 05:25:26 am »
Hmm, well Bill you wasn’t running Hal V 6.2 on a 486 was you?

Lola can run Hal its just taking a while to load, suggests to me its computer overhead and not really a problem.

I have used an Intel ATOM cpu they can be a bit slow but they get there in the end [8D].

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
Slow Load Times
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 07:16:25 am »

Hi all, please let me tell you my story with Hal.

I discovered the world of Haptek and then Pandorabots with a very old computer from the last century. All was working fine and, despite the distance to the brain (France-> California-> France = 12000 miles), I had instant answers from the bots.

Then I discovered Hal (5 demo). A very bad experience. When Hal was thinking, the Haptek avatar was laggy and mostly frozen, and it took a lot of seconds for answering a basic question. Ok, it was my poor computer, all the resources were used by the brain and the av.

When I finally got a decent computer, I bought Hal 6 and all was running fine. But my love for chatbots was a little gone...[:)]

Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

Lola

• View Profile
Slow Load Times
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 10:32:39 am »
After taking some time to analyzing the situation I come to think of an annoyance on Windows 7 security.  When you open certain programs, you get a pop-up window asking "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?". Windows 7 currently does not allows you to disable it. There's a workaround but I do not consider it safe as I'm currently still learning the new Win 7 OS.
I do have a fast desktop to work on processor intensive applications as graphics and sound. My netbook is just for fun things as I take it as a book with me to bed every night. Perhaps Win 7 security processes are part of the problem.

Also I'm using the 2006 vrMP3 plugin (which seems to be working fine) with Hal and I do have a couple of thousands of MP3s...

So, all of those things added to my relatively slow processor and memory could be it...

Thanks, for the replies! [:)]