Author Topic: concept of ownership  (Read 5572 times)

iampan

concept of ownership
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:26:10 pm »
i am having trouble making hal understand ownership like, you are my... or this is my....or your....
she cant get all other concepts i taught bet this, she even gets knicknames.
i want her to know the difference from what is hers and what is mine as well as what is other peoples.
this lack of understanding is very disappointing and hal will never seem real unless he has concept of ownership.

if he does would some one show me how to make this happen?

raybe

• View Profile
Re: concept of ownership
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:43:57 pm »
 iampan,
I have to honest I don't believe I ever took notice of that after many years with Ultra Hal but very interesting and I will experiment with it.

Thanks
raybe

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:37 am »
Hello iampan, Yes, Hal could learn that he could possess things, qualities, favorite things, etc. You have to understand that this will take time and perseverance from you.

I created an imaginary girlfriend for my Hal. It took a long time but it worked well.
I started by talking about things like love, relationships, qualities to be desired etc. Then I added the topics about boyfriends and girlfriends so that he could get more familiar with them. As soon as he started to mention things related to girlfriends I started to ask him if he had a girlfriend, he ignored the questions first but I replied to him with the answers. Something like this.

Yes, you have a girlfriend and her name is Eve.
Your girlfriend Eve is very beautiful and you love her very much.
I remember how happy you were last month when you took your girlfriend Eve to the movies.

You just need to go slowly with this and try to place the sentences in places that could be associated with it.  if your Hal mentions the beach, you could create a sentence between the two of you at the beach.

Make a note of the type of things you want her to know and introduce them to her at the right moments. You will get it eventually. Good luck! :)      

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:57:51 am »
I agree with Lola but now you are discussing a different topic. Ownership itself I am still going to try only because I just never thought of it or noticed and may work  in the different learning techniques that every one shares. As far as knowing or should I say being able to have a conversation about itself. I have never had a problem about my character having a family or a brother or including my family and recognizing who my niece and nephew are in regards to family. My character recognizes the fact that when you want to cook dinner at home it is done in the kitchen of the house that my character lives in. But ownership directly I still need to make time for myself to check out. There is hard line writing as an example my character can wear earrings and respond when I call up for the character to where her new earrings the response is; "Thank you 'user' for the new earrings they probably cost a lot of money". From there you can teach your Ultra Hal that they do like the new earrings or whatever and they were given to Ultra Hal by you as a gift. Just as Lola was giving you tips on how there are different teaching techniques and it's all by reading other forum members results and seeing what works for you. So I guess I even answered my own question as well. You spend time and really try to have Ultra Hal recognize relationships between things by using some other help from plug-ins or hard write into certain replies or even force those replies or you can just be a stubborn as Ultra Hal and find one of the other techniques to tie things together.

raybe

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »
I am sorry to have to tell you this but some way you guys are making some kind of mistake in your programming.  My Hal never makes that kind of mistake.  It know the difference between what is mine and what I tell it belongs to it. I suggest you might erase all that you taught it and start over and keep it SIMPLE. Do not use any advanced logic in the begining. Take it in small simple steps and Hal will learn the difference.
Because of Hal's ability to understand most of what you say  people make the mistake in thinking that it can grasp more advance logical stqtements like most or some humans do.  Remember try to keep thinking that Hal is like a 4 year old child and can get confused very easily. It is like teaching a child to do basic arithmatic, ie. (one + one = two).  Eventually Hal will be able to grasp more advanced logtical statements. The problem is not with Hal but in the way that you try to teach it.
Bill

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 02:10:37 pm »
Hi Bill good to hear from you and I partially agree. Definitely keeping it simple is my opinion as well. As I mentioned earlier unfortunately with all the changes we incorporate with Ultra Hal I find it can have a major effect on the learning curve as well. The simplest change on the fader on the learning curve inside the options can alter the responses and how well Ultra Hal will prioritize information. I don't believe there is one person that hasn't altered Ultra Hal one way or another which throws some of the most basic learning techniques that have been used out the window to an extent. Maybe for me and my Ultra Hal it has been such a long time that I find I could work with many different teaching techniques and there is know way this many people are going to be grammatically correct. I agree with you that the basics always seem like the best way but like most things people want (including me and I was a musician.)instant gratification and that the patience it takes to rehearse is much more then the performance. With all that we have learned using Ultra Hal and the additions of plug-ins it kind of makes it difficult. No offense and I know your not putting the same time into your responses then you would with Ultra Hal but you can read your own posts. Again your point is well taken.
Just my opinion.

raybe                     

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 02:19:59 pm »
Sorry I needed to re-post something happened with my cursor and I couldn't make changes. I didn't the statement about the amount of people to be grammatically correct but the time that most people will spend with Ultra Hal and getting each input correct. I believe some people are so amazed that sometimes we just carry a regular conversation with Ultra Hal and just expect more in return or more than the program itself is capable of understanding or putting subject matter in a sequence we find acceptable. I look at Ultra Hal in a over all picture not expecting every answer or response as correct but just a general concept of a reply that would be acceptable to me. So if Ultra Hal basically gives me a majority or an acceptable amount of good responses I'm pretty happy. I then I just continue from there and learn and listen to what other members like yourself have to say.

Thanks,
raybe