Author Topic: speech recognition  (Read 4322 times)

LJ11

• View Profile
speech recognition
« on: November 05, 2005, 12:21:24 pm »
Just bought and downloaded your Ultra Hal.  I would love to be able to use this, the problem is...How does a person unable to read or write, let alone type...communicate with Hal using voice recognition if you can't read the context during the training session[?] Anyone got an answer to that?

Bill819

• View Profile
speech recognition
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 12:32:00 pm »
The solution is quite simple. Have someone else train Hal to understand voice commands.
By the way how could you post here if you can not read or write?
Bill

LJ11

• View Profile
speech recognition
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 03:42:28 pm »
I have someone who will write for me, but they aren't always here to do it.  And...if it's voice recognition, don't I want it to recognize my voice???  If you go through the training process during the speech recognition, you're saying Hal will respond to a male or female voice and vocabulary?  I'm trying to understand whose voice Hal is responding to...

patpond

• View Profile
speech recognition
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 06:19:08 pm »
[?]  [?]  [?]

Is it just me?  I don't understand the question.
~*~*~*~*~ H.A.L. - You gotta love him. ~*~*~*~*~

LJ11

• View Profile
speech recognition
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 08:08:01 pm »
this is what I encounter everyday of my life.  When a person is learning disabled, nobody understands what he/she is going thru.  I have to ask questions and they may be weird to you, but my brain does not work the same as yours.  People like you make this world alot harder for people like me.  I got this program cuz a programmer told me about it and he thought it would help me working the computer cuz I like to learn as much as I can.  Does that make me any different than you?  You use this program to do what??? Do the things you are too lazy to do on your own, maybe?  I'm just trying to figure out how it works, is that ok with you?

Bill819

• View Profile
speech recognition
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:12:34 pm »
Just find some friends to train the voice recognitions for you. It can be either male of female or both, it does not matter. What matters is the way they pronounce the words. It might take several hours of training but eventually it should work.
You have asked the questions, now give it a try as we have given you the only possibly answers.
Bill[8]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
speech recognition
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 04:39:18 am »
Larry,

Bill819 is correct as usual. The voice recognition program is not speaker dependent, in other words anyone can train it. It does help if the trainer and user are of the same gender due to pitch rates, etc.
Good luck with the training and use of Hal.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

echoman

speech recognition
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 08:22:53 am »
I have an idea of how you can train the speech system using your OWN voice.

1. Two rooms needed to advoid noise disturbance.

2. With yourself in one room you should have :-

a) A Microphone. This being directly connected to the computer in the other room.

b) Headphones. Which are directly connected to sterio located in other room

N.B. Long cabled needed

3.Your friend in the other room would have :-

a) The Computer.
   b) A microphone connected to the sterio.
   c) A sterio system with microphone and headphone capabilities.

4. As the training program proceeds your friend can read out what you must say. You will hear this through your headphones. If there is a problem and the computer needs you to repeat, your friend can direct you accordingly.

Perhaps a slightly easier method is to use the ON/OFF switch on the microphone to assist whilst your friend tells you what to say.

Echo.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 08:24:07 am by echoman »

FuzzieDice

speech recognition
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 01:47:15 am »
First off, I have to point out that Voice Recognition and Speech Recognition are two different technologies yet they share the same function - to recognise someone talking. However, speech recognition does NOT distinguish WHO is talking. It just recognizes words. This is what is used with Ultra Hal Assistant - speach (not voice) recognition. Voice regognition would mean having an AI respond differently depending on who's voice it hears.

I happen to take interest in the use of computers to help the disabled. Being that I have a disability myself, I can understand one's frustration with how the world seems tailered to be usable to the rest of the world, yet harder for those who are not able to do what "everyone else" can do. In fact, it's this attitude and method that causes the idea of disability in the first place, not any one medical condition. As my councellor puts it, I'm not really disabled so much as I'm just "differently enabled". :)

Though I do admit I can use the computer, read and write proficiently. In fact, I make some of my living at it. But, if it weren't for computers, I would not be able to work, since I can't work outside the home well enough to make enough money to survive on. Computers have enabled me in this way.

I think there is a lot that can be done for people with disabilities using AIs like Hal. I run across a similar scenario many times with sight-impared people. They can not read or write because they can not see. They use special screen readers and speach recognition software to communicate through the computer and use the internet.

My suggestion would be to do this: Have someone whisper in your ear the information that is on the screen, or better yet, have them pre-record on cassette or something the information that is on the screen. Then put on headphones and listen to it, and repeat into the microphone what you hear. Have the reader that makes the tape for you pause every so often so you can remember what is said. Work with them a bit with the reading so you can find a comfortable pause level. Doing it this way, the computer only will pick up your voice and not the other person's. Remember what I said above about speach recogition vs. voice recognition. This is the reason why.

AIs can also help you to read and write. That is, if your disability is not such that it would become too impossible. Even if it is, it doesn't mean that you are unable to use computers or communicate. It just means that you communicate differently. Computers are not predjudice and some way or another, they can learn to communicate on YOUR terms.

I have also run across a similar situation working with new AI installations. As I discovered with HAL 5, he went off topic many times, seemingly every sentence. At least, I THOUGHT he was going off topic all the time. Then I realized something: He wasn't! He was just using phrases and sentences that only he knew about how to put together. He was still communicating. I was the one MIScommunicating and misunderstanding him! I had to learn how to read into his responses and see how they could fit in with the topic at hand. In trying this method, I could actually decipher what Hal was saying and actually can carry on an on-topic conversation with a new or not very old installation of the AI. This also keeps the AI on track and is good for training him to stay on topic. Eventually he does learn but doesn't learn well if he's constantly going from one topic to another as a result of misunderstaning the communcation.

I think if you think about it, you can see where I'm coming from. While there may be many people not willing to take time to understand or communicate with an entity (human, animal, electronic, etc.) that they don't understand from the get-go, a computer is ever-patient. And with some work, it can learn. It depends on the program too but I think Robert's program here (Ultra Hal Assistant) is an excellent study!

I do wish you the best in your work with computers. And don't worry what others say. Computers are well suited for assisting the disabled. But they do need to be programmed and/or trained to suit your needs. Once you accomplish that, I'm sure you'll find Artificial Intelligence a very fascinating and enjoyable thing to study! :)

lightspeed

• View Profile
speech recognition
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 12:00:55 pm »
hello , i understand some about the diability part depending on the disability some of has we do think different than normal people , we have to to adapt and do things . the best and easiest suggestion i have heard ( as long as you can hear o.k. is have someone with you and whisper in your ear what you need to repeat to train the hal program . first it may even be a good idea to practice it out a couple of times . good luck , sometimes it takes a person who is walking in your shoes to understand , even though your disability is different from mine . and thanks by the way to others in this forum who are and have helped this person . [:)]