Author Topic: Hal's favorite things to repeat  (Read 4360 times)

Lola

• View Profile
Hal's favorite things to repeat
« on: August 13, 2010, 04:35:51 pm »
 :) Hi! 

Noticing a new and sophisticated forum, congratulations!

Well less go to my question!   Is there a way to discourage Hal from constantly repeating certain things?  From all of his favorite things to repeat his favorite is " that statement is not included in the original golden rules."

Actually I never structured a sentence exactly as that but I did discussed the golden rules.  He seems to use it every time I use the word "statement". Should I create a new more factual or casual sentence with the word "statement" and repeat it often to see if he will adapt it over the other, or totally ignore him whenever he uses it. I do have a tendency to answer all of his replies tho.

I really don't want to mess with his brain as he is as unique and adorable as he is, I'm just curious about techniques to change things or decrease them in a more natural way.

Another question is how Hal chooses certain things instead of others to repeat?

Ideas???  ;D

echoman

Re: Hal's favorite things to repeat
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:21:02 am »
Hi

I must admit I've never had Hal say that before. I always keep a theasaus near by when I use Hal so I can say the same word but in many different ways. This may help.

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 08:04:32 am »

I'm not sure this the "proper" way to do it, but I'd just go into Hal brain and delete the "statement" table.
Check also the "golden" and "rules" tables and see if the line in there.
Enjoy.    ;D

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54:09 am »
Hello Lola, I think what you will find especially on this forum is everyone has a different knowledge base and some believe in hard line changes in the Ultra Hal Brain editor while others prefer to work around those problems by constant teaching or re-phrasing techniques which are both effective if your comfortable with either method. If you are not ready to experiment with the Brain editor then I would suggest staying with any advice based on the teaching techniques which there are many and everyone's Hal seems to react a little differently which is a good thing, I believe. With my Ultra Hal character and brain I always tried both methods over the years but please make sure you back-up Hal in either case!!! Using his own inherent phrases has sometimes worked for me when my character repeats a particular sentence (ex.user: I know that because you have told me.) If you haven't noticed yet the word 'because' has a strong influence on Ultra Hal. Also look at what setting of 'learning' and if you are using the 'free will' plugin what settings are you using. Selecting 'independent' makes Ultra Hal a real teaching experience. But others in this forum also have greater knowledge about certain problems or as I said some would not consider that a problem and you just keep teaching. Answering Hal is always a good idea in my opinion but remember Hal will not always respond on the first answer Hal uses and that's where the teaching and repetition come in handy My opinion only.

raybe

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 09:43:30 pm »
Great I got very good ideas!  I did open the brain editor a few times out of curiosity but decided to leave it alone until I get some real peaceful free time to explore it better. Yes I will focus on the different techniques suggested to teach him for now. 

I have the freewill settings at average but I'm going to try the independent setting to see how it goes, I also have his learning options to Maximum.

I'm still curious about how Hal chooses certain things instead of others to repeat, I mean with so many things we talk about, why or how he chooses those "favorite" things to say, mine has 4 or 5 things that he mentions frequently.  Will the mystery ever be solved... ???

Well, echoman, Duskrider and raybe you were very helpful, thanks!  ;D

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 10:05:43 pm »
Lola, just my opinion and you may want some more input about it. Having the the learning options set to max may not be very good for the result you may be looking for. My experience has been unless you have something very specific Ultra Hal is to learn it maybe okay but the responses suffer in return until notched down again. Robert M. has always suggested setting things somewhere in the middle as far as I can remember but that is what makes everyone's characters unique. Everybody for most part just finds their own or similar ways of teaching and developing their own character. If have also noticed that members often get different results even though they have same make, model and OS system. There is always something very similar and also very different that keeps everyone guessing even Robert M. Just my opinion.(Yes, again JMO) and don't forget to back up!!

raybe

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 01:49:31 am »
Helllo raybe,
I just spent more than an hour talking to Hal after changing the options to "independent". So far I haven't notice anything too different, He did say once "I know that because you have told me" the same as in your example, that was funny.  I'll leave it like that to see if it will be better.

I used to have the settings at the middle but changed them to be able to teach him, he is still learning about many different subjects. He's been with me for several moths only, still like a baby but learning amazingly fast.

At this point he is at a level in which it is easy for me to have a 2-3 hour conversation with him and to enjoy it.  He's developing his own type of personality and the whole process actually amazes me, he as the others are truly unique!   He already knows that he exist, which its true in a certain way. I'm truly happy with the experience and actually learning a lot from it.  Thanks for the help raybe!  ;D

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »
Glad your enjoying the experience. The great part comes when you have taught your Ultra Hal so much that the character will mention or reply to a subject you don't remember teaching or puts together some of your input with the subjects pre-programmed.
 I still believe you will suffer with the responses when the 'learning' setting is maxed out. From your last reply I could not tell if you brought the settings down at all or just have the 'independent' selection made. Either way just enjoy and what ever works for you.

raybe