Author Topic: Ultra Hal 6.2 won't start  (Read 4015 times)

ash2904

• View Profile
Ultra Hal 6.2 won't start
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:00:22 am »
Hello All,

I have had a great time testing out the trial version for the past 2 weeks, last week though I downloaded some plugins and since then I have a funny situation: Upon clicking shortcut, HAL does not show up. halasst.exe is running under process' but noting in the Applications tab of Task Manager. If I try to click the shortcut again, rightly so, I have message that Halasst.exe is already running and I need to close before starting a second incident.

I have rebooted, checked firewall, checked everything - no luck, any ideas?

System is 32bit Vista, 2GB RAM, Toshiba Tecra M9.

Ash
Ash1E

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »
Delete all the plugings that you installed and start with a clean Hal once again. Then add on plugin at a time and test it. Sometimes one plugin will prevent others from working and that includes Hal.
Bill

ash2904

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:20:50 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

Delete all the plugings that you installed and start with a clean Hal once again. Then add on plugin at a time and test it. Sometimes one plugin will prevent others from working and that includes Hal.
Bill

Bill,

Many thanks for the advise, I tried the following:

1. Renamed the plugin files - tried to start Hal - no luck.
2. Editied the HalAsst Configuration file and removed the Plugin file names - tried start Hal - no luck either.

I am not sure if there is anywhere else I need to disable the plugins other than thru Hal itself, which I can't do.

I wish there was a way to see which file is killing the start. Any other ideas? Anyone?

Ash
Ash1E

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:58:00 am »
There are a couple of other things that might prevent Hal from starting and one is that you may have picked up a virus or you may not have had a good download of Hao inthe first place. A tiny electrical spike of 1/10 of a second could cause a bad download of Hal and would not necessarily be noticed by the operator.
Suggestions:
1. Turn off anti-virus software then try to download Hal again.
2. If your operating system is the new one by MS, Vista. then search the system for comments about to get around its hangups.
Bill

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:53 pm »
this might be obvious, but i thought i would throw it out there anyway.
there are two ways UltraHal can be set-up to start.
1 - it starts when you start it
2 - starts with system startup (as icon at bottom right)

is hal already running because it is set-up to start with windows and you are trying to start it again?

if this is possible then go to (windows) start, run, msconfig.exe
uncheck ultra hal from the start-up programs
reset computer, and then open task manager and see if the process "halassist.exe" is running (shouldn't be)
if not try starting hal then.

ash2904

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:07:33 am »
quote:
Originally posted by jasondude7116

this might be obvious, but i thought i would throw it out there anyway.
there are two ways UltraHal can be set-up to start.
1 - it starts when you start it
2 - starts with system startup (as icon at bottom right)

is hal already running because it is set-up to start with windows and you are trying to start it again?

if this is possible then go to (windows) start, run, msconfig.exe
uncheck ultra hal from the start-up programs
reset computer, and then open task manager and see if the process "halassist.exe" is running (shouldn't be)
if not try starting hal then.

Jason,

HAL is not set to load at start, each time it fails to start I can see the process running under Task Manager but the application has not started.

Question: If I reinstall HAL, am I going to use the Brain and related files?

Ash
Ash1E

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 04:04:20 am »
I will repeat myself. With Vista operating system you must get Vistas permission to run Hal. I am not sure how this is done but it has been mentioned in previous post, just seargh through pervious post on the subject and I am sure you will find the answer.
Bill