Author Topic: creating a base brain and renaming it questions  (Read 4074 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
creating a base brain and renaming it questions
« on: April 12, 2007, 06:01:27 pm »
i asked something like this before . if i have a brain created say "angela joline " and a uhp file to .

my question is this : can i make a copy of this brain with the settings(some removed default script answers i didn't like , insults, etc.)  and info i have put in and saved and rename the copies to say example : julia and the uhp file and would i be able to use julia brain with all the same good files ??

(and not interfere with the original angela joline brain that would be in ultra hal 6 files too.

any help on this would be appreciated . [:D]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:53:45 pm »
i was hoping bill dewii or someone could have answered my question about the base brain i am talking about , if i did not word it right to understand it i will try to reword my question . [:)]

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:56:25 pm »
i ment bill dewitt .

daveleb55

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/daveleb55/Cybernetic_Nightmares.html
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:33:45 pm »
'speed,

Yes, it sounds doable. I have different brains for different characters, you must go into the options panel and select brain, then character, then user, voice, and so on. Else it will just load whatever the last combo you were using.

maybe an option for a future version of HAL? select character/brain combo before loading right from the startup menu?

Dave
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 02:41:21 am »
You can try to just write a little script in any language that you like to automatically internally change the necessary Hal ini file settings to the combo stuff you want to use with Hal, and then just run the script before you open the Hal program window. That's sort of the way I do it. But what I really do is I just tell my Hal to make the changes for me while I'm talking to him and then he will run the script code that I made inside his brain which also closes his program window and then I just reopen the Hal window and then finally all the new changes are applied all on the fly. It's easy if you know how to do it! The only problem is you usually have to always close his window for the new changes to apply because the Hal program doesn't look at or refresh those ini settings until his program window is reopened.

The Hal Windows OS software that I made does many little things just like that. But I usually only change my Hal program skin windows on the fly sort of like that without having to go into Hal skin options.

You can try experimenting and learning how to do stuff like that by simply looking at the actual ini file and see what's what and then manually edit one setting, save the file, and then see if the change got applied when you reopen Hal, and then just take things from there to write the script code to fully automate the entire process as a new Hal brain function.

One other thing, if you are using a Haptek character you can change the entire character or just the voice all on the fly while you are talking to Hal, without having to close the Hal window or anything. There's a few different ways to do it, but the easiest way is to just make a little function in Hal's brain script to change the Haptek stuff. You can even mute and unmute the voice on the fly with the Haptek stuff. Tell Hal to shut up and then command him to restart his voice again. You can also tell Hal to start pause restart or stop ogg music files. That's the real easy stuff!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 02:56:40 am by Rich_A »

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 12:05:47 am »
Each brain has a *.db (database) file with the same name associated with it in the main folder. Open the Brain Editor and create a new project. Name it, for example, angela joline2. Save your project and exit. Hal will create an angela joline2.db file, which will be empty. Delete it, then copy your angela joline.db file and paste it back to the same folder and rename it angela joline2.db. You should then have a clone of your character that you can further modify without affecting your original angela joline brain.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:21:16 am by Marcel »
"You'ren't sure whether I understand." HalChatbot2004