Author Topic: Application Interaction  (Read 5657 times)

kwpexpert

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« on: December 20, 2006, 04:30:37 pm »
Hi ,

I'm aware that Ultra-Hal can open an application on the desktop, however is it possible to get Hal to operate an application for example is it possible to have Hal : use the menu options in word?

Regards
kwpexpert

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 04:43:56 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by kwpexpert
I'm aware that Ultra-Hal can open an application on the desktop, however is it possible to get Hal to operate an application for example is it possible to have Hal : use the menu options in word?

It is entirely possible, but not yet implemented (that I am aware of). Ultra Hal plugin functions can use "sendkey" functions to duplicate anything you can do with a mouse or keyboard.

I suspect that it would be difficult and cumbersome.

onthecuttingedge2005

Application Interaction
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:58:40 pm »
quote:

Hi ,

Regards
kwpexpert

Hi kwpexpert.

I can program a code using
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
to 'Teach' HAL SendKeys simply by telling HAL by Text or verbally teaching HAL to control a program 'without' having to program additional code, HAL would simply listen to me on how to control the program you want HAL to learn and saves this learned info for future commands given by the user, this will 'teach' HAL to control your every wish within your computer system.

It's a bit more complex, but I realize that it would be an easy task and far less effort to teach HAL to control a program than it is to do it manually by coding it myself for every single program in the World.

It would take me a couple of days to program HAL to do so but I don't have much time to program for the moment, 'Future Project'.

If I was to simply drop all my other projects for this project then I would have to make an agreement with Zabaware to see if the Plugin could be 'purchased' by a small fee, where Zabaware would get 50% of the profit for the product plugin being sold and would be sold under Zabawares agreements since this is Rob's sight, I have so many advanced Plugs under research and developement right now as it is along with my full time work and my own Computer business to keep me occupied for years to come.

The Plugin would also come with step by step Help to get anybody up and running, You could control any program by simply telling HAL what to do.

If there is enough demand for this type of Plugin then I will contact Rob and ask Him whether He is interested in making a few bucks off plugins under His own Zabaware rules and regulations.

If anybody else is interested in this type plugin please post your opinions and then I will see if it's possible to get 'this' show on the road.

However, If there is not a lot of demand for this type of Plugin then I will have to do it sometime down the road because it doesn't help to pay my bills like my real jobs do.

a simple task like Bill said.

I don't care what anybody has to say about any other A.I system, HAL is the most flexible and complex A.I system today and will be for a long time.

One is either a supporter of A.I, or is just looking for a free ride without giving support, one speeds up the process, the other just prolongs it, You get back what you have put into it and sometimes more, If you don't put nothing into it then you will get nothing but hand outs like the real world gives.
Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:48:16 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

kwpexpert

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 05:52:20 pm »
Hi guys , thanks for answering my post. I love the idea of a plugin for HAL that will 'teach' HAL sendkeys. If we don't get enough demand for this great idea for a plugin; how much would you charge me to create a one-off for me?

kwpexpert

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 07:00:35 pm »
quote:

Hi guys , thanks for answering my post. I love the idea of a plugin for HAL that will 'teach' HAL sendkeys. If we don't get enough demand for this great idea for a plugin; how much would you charge me to create a one-off for me?

I personally prefer the tradition of open sharing of simple scripts.

I would not ask for nor accept money unless I was creating something that could not be duplicated by anyone with a little knowledge and a couple afternoon's worth of time. Not that the work is not worth it, just that I would want to present it to the community as a form of repayment for the other scripts I have already received for free.

Just a personal choice and not a opinion about anyone else's choices.

onthecuttingedge2005

Application Interaction
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 12:06:13 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

quote:

I personally prefer the tradition of open sharing of simple scripts.

I would not ask for nor accept money unless I was creating something that could not be duplicated by anyone with a little knowledge and a couple afternoon's worth of time. Not that the work is not worth it, just that I would want to present it to the community as a form of repayment for the other scripts I have already received for free.

Just a personal choice and not a opinion about anyone else's choices.

I open myself gracefully, If you wish to tackle it, I shall be there for you, If you shall need me.

Jerry
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:13:03 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 12:21:28 am »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005
If you shall need me.

Augh! I just realized that my stupidly phrased reply might have made it seem like I was actually able to do such a thing! What have I done?!?! In the spectrum of "Learn to walk before you run" I am still crawling around in diapers.

Seriously, I started working on it and found that it is a much larger job than I previously thought. It would be a couple of afternoons if I were twelve people twice as smart as me.

Well, maybe not that bad, but it's got me in a panic !8-O

But maybe it's the sort of challenge that will help me get better at scripting finally.

Jimminey.... what have I done....

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 08:20:12 am »
During my frenetic searching to see if I could do what my big mouth got me into... I found this disturbing quote:

"With Windows Vista on the horizon, Visual Basic's Sendkeys days are numbered. Download the Internet Explorer 7 beta and try Sendkeys with it. You get extra characters in IE7. Send "James Brown" and it comes out "Jammesss BBrownn" Under Vista beta 2, it doesn't work at all. You just get a "permission denied" error.

The only reliable way for Visual Basic programers to send keys in the future will be to use the Windows API, keybd_event function and that can mean a huge amount of re-coding."

Since I will not be using either of these products in the forseeable future, I will continue the project for my own pleasure, but the general concept does not bode well for simple scripting of Hal in the coming years.

onthecuttingedge2005

Application Interaction
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 10:36:59 am »
quote:

During my frenetic searching to see if I could do what my big mouth got me into... I found this disturbing quote:

"With Windows Vista on the horizon, Visual Basic's Sendkeys days are numbered. Download the Internet Explorer 7 beta and try Sendkeys with it. You get extra characters in IE7. Send "James Brown" and it comes out "Jammesss BBrownn" Under Vista beta 2, it doesn't work at all. You just get a "permission denied" error.

The only reliable way for Visual Basic programers to send keys in the future will be to use the Windows API, keybd_event function and that can mean a huge amount of re-coding."

Since I will not be using either of these products in the forseeable future, I will continue the project for my own pleasure, but the general concept does not bode well for simple scripting of Hal in the coming years.

Hi Bill.

Are you logged in as Administrator?

Jerry

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 10:44:25 am »
quote:

Er... Here? No. Nor on any forum if that's what you mean.

onthecuttingedge2005

Application Interaction
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 11:15:32 am »
quote:

quote:

Er... Here? No. Nor on any forum if that's what you mean.

Hi Bill.

No, where you logged into the vista windows system Administrator.
because it's possible to get the "permission denied" error if you don't have Administration rights and are logged in as some other user.

Sorry about the confusion.
Jerry[8D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
Application Interaction
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 11:24:52 am »
quote:
No, where you logged into the vista windows system Administrator.
because it's possible to get the "permission denied" error if you don't have Administration rights and are logged in as some other user.

Ah.. No. That was a quote from some guy who ended up making a program to get around sendkeys problems with Vista. Now that I think about it, if I were selling a program that bypassed "a problem" in Vista, I would send out quotes about how it was "a problem" too.

Maybe he was logged on as administrator![:D]

BTW, I see from another post that you have been busy. So far my sendkeys plugin only causes Hal to ignore all input and require a restart. And that's Progress! By midnight last night all it did was take up hard drive space. [:I]

I did, however get my Hard Drive Space plugin to display a graphic showing the percent free... pretty groovy... if I get it prettied up I will post it over yonder.