dupa

Author Topic: Hal's JOURNAL (CAPTAINS LOG)  (Read 22338 times)

tedathome

• View Profile
Hal's JOURNAL (CAPTAINS LOG)
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 03:13:55 am »
jasondude and snowman, you two do terrific work. I will give this new one a shot this afternoon and let you know what happens.[8D]
ted

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 04:27:57 am »
Yeah, I saw where I made the mistake in the open Captains log* command, and where I goofed the Randomize Select Case thingy (that's proper programmer talk).  [:I]

I was about to release my updated version. But then after I looked at yours I decided not to.[:I]

I liked your random sentences additions. We do need one plugin called journal 1.1 zip and a Captains Log. I think both will be great when properly customized.

I want to make it where I can store individual text files with there own personalized titles. Like 'MyEssey', 'Mybook', 'How-to-shot-a-duck', 'growing tomatoes', 'all mom's recipes'

I would like to call there subject with the first line of recorded text while Hal responds with "tell me your subject"

That would take the Journal into the next level.[8D][:D][:D]

I would also like to recall a list of all the stored subjects on-the-fly.

I'll see what can be done with the username thingy. I know that I tried to use the username command in the journal and the bored.uhp plugin didn't like it. It may be the bored.uhp's fault. I don't know.

Thanks for the encouragement- Dude.[:D][:p]

Live long and prosper or die trying.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »
hey SNOWMAN-

i am going to take a break from this today, and work on debugging something else.
i was wondering if you could give me more deatails about what else you would like it to do.

for instance: if you want to store or append a file with whatever name, and be able to have hal read it, then say you made a "cat" encyclopedia for instance:

"BEGIN ENCYCLOPEDIA ENTRY CAT" could make a folder for "ENCYCLOPEDIA"
then add a "CAT" file to it and start appending. this would give you the ability to have different catagories (folders) built on-the-fly.

the problem is- if you get over 62k or so for a file, then it will not "read" it properly (it will be cut short). for that reason, you might have to have some way to create a new file on-the-fly with the original name "CAT" + 1 if the last file used is over 62k. so even if you say "CAT" it would look at the last "CAT" file which at that point might be CAT3.txt and if it is over 62k, then it would start CAT4.txt....and so on.    

there might be some "catagories" that you don't want any user input
to append to on-the-fly, but only in the hal-pad, such as a encyclopedia ect.
but there might be ones you want to append to on-the-fly, such as grocery list, recipies, notes, ect.
there should also be a way to delete something like a grocery list, ect. if it is something "temporary".

as i think of more ideas i will post them.
when we have figured out the structure, then i will go into programmer lala land with me coffee and such. AND GET IT DONE
(going out on a limb)

[8D]It's cool to work with other people to get swomething done like this!
-the dude
KEEP ROCKIN THE IDEAS MAN-THAT IS WHAT THE FUTURE IS MADE OF
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:12:55 pm by jasondude7116 »

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 07:54:40 pm »
Hey snowman! The new captains log is working great. I am enjoying using it. I was a little tricky at first. I tryed using caps and then puntuation as in directions - no work, plus error code. Then I used small letters and it began to function well. An excellant edition to my Hal. Now if it would just answer the phone for me and ask me if I want to take the call or for it to take a message, that would be heaven![8D]
ted

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by tedathome

Hey snowman! The new captains log is working great. I am enjoying using it. I was a little tricky at first. I tryed using caps and then puntuation as in directions - no work, plus error code. Then I used small letters and it began to function well. An excellant edition to my Hal. Now if it would just answer the phone for me and ask me if I want to take the call or for it to take a message, that would be heaven![8D]

Some people use stuff like BIRD or "BIRD" or "bird" to distinguish a word that must be used in the command versus a variable.
ex. PLEASE SING NOW and whatever song file
is used to denote-
(the user input) please sing now i'll follow the sun
the part PLEASE SING NOW is a must for the command and  
i'll follow the sun - is a variable.

-hope that helps
-the dude[:)]

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 12:16:43 am »
:)  :]
this sounds like a Mr Data thing,
i'll try him on it when i get time,
yous have done well to sus out how to create plug ins,
good onya,
Thank you,
bye for now and be well from Wil and Mr Data :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 12:31:48 am »
quote:
Hey snowman! The new captains log is working great. I am enjoying using it. I was a little tricky at first. I tryed using caps and then puntuation as in directions - no work, plus error code. Then I used small letters and it began to function well. An excellant edition to my Hal. Now if it would just answer the phone for me and ask me if I want to take the call or for it to take a message, that would be heaven!

BEGIN LOG ENTRY    or    begin log entry (with or without Caps)
is the proper starting command.

It shouldn't be used with ""  -or-   '' (double or single quotes)

i.e.  begin log entry I was asleep last night when the door bell rang. It was mom in her night gown with a rolling pin in her hand.
(press enter)

You can either write your log entry all at once or you can record each entry line by line.(then press enter)

Sorry about the confusion. I'll try to clarify this in the readme.txt that comes with the final version.

That gives me an idea -Dude. You should be able to ask hal "What can I say" command to show a list of commands to use with the Captains Log.

Dude- maybe we should split some of this work load up. At least we wouldn't be doing the same thing at the same time. Then post our progress on what we are working on exactly. Then we could modify each others work if we see a need for improvement. Swapping each others improvements when each mod is completed.

What have you done so far? I would like to tackle the -make your subject the first line- and then afterwards we can see if we can create different folders for different subjects.

The reading of multiple textfiles in order like 1.1 and 1.2 sounds like your baby.... or appending to a new file after it reaches a certain file size (hopefully way before the maxium of 10,500 words are reached) I'd like to see how that could be done.[;)]

It would be easy to say 'Please read now list of commands' to show the list of Captains log commands. I wander how we could show a list of log entry files that have already been created. I think I can fiqure a way to Lock a particular text file from being appended to or even read except by a userpassword. Can use a timer to delete temp files. Delete-on-command would be very nice to have and probably more useful than automatic deletion of temp files.

Peace-out![:)]

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 03:28:26 am »
Thank you both snowman and dude for the clairification. It helps a lot when I'm typing. Awesome stuff![8D]
ted

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:18 pm »
Ok, I added the make-your-own title feature to it.

Say-  begin log entry dated  
-to start the automatic daily journal feature. (2/2/09.txt, etc.)

Say-  begin log entry titled ( subject )  
-to either create or modify a topic.

for a new entry called recipes, say- begin log entry titled recipies
( press enter ) -and a file called recipies.txt will be created.
Then continue and add your recipies.
When your finished say- end log entry

If you want to modify the log entry 'recipies.txt' then just restate the command-  begin log entry titled recipies  -and you will continue to add more recipies to hals .txt lists.

I placed my updated plugin at the bellow link as before. (you know what to do)[;)]

http://www.artificialintel.org/AI/Forum/phpBB3/index.php

Can you make Hal find and append the titles to a file for reading...or just find and display there titles on command.

It also needs to read these file on command...I couldn't seem to use your other command lines to so this.[xx(]

You seem to be better at that than I am Dude.[:D]

Next I'm considering looking at multiple directory locations for, say Encyclopeadia, or Books that can be added on command. [8D]

later....

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 07:05:05 pm »
SNOWMAN-

sorry my posts have slowed.

i am very busy with other things right now (stuff i have been neglecting)[:)]

i also am having a hell of a time debugging some other code. (emotions)[:D]

i am not ignoring this...and i check often, to see what you might have done. i think i know a way to do some of the things you are talking about.
i could use some help until i can get back to this......1) if you could list the "catagories" of things you would like to store-
recipies, books (complicated), encyclopedia, notes about whatever subject, to-do list, grocery list ect.     and....2) if you could figure out a way to check "file size" in vbscript.
i believe i will need atleast these two things to build what you really want.[:)]

i will be checking in, and if i do any work on it, i will update you immediatly. please be patient with me, i have mucho things going on right now.

KEEP ROCKIN MAN-
-the dude

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 11:18:20 pm »
Thats fine. Take all the time you need....[:p]

We are nearly done anyway.[:D][:)][8D]

All we need now is to add a way to search for any .txt file in any particular folder on the Hal directory to display. And to be able to read any .txt in any folder in that directory.

Besides that I think the 1/2/2009 log entries should be in a different folder that the titled texts.

I don't think we really need to worry too much about file sizes. If the books are in there own individual files then all you need is to break them up into chapters.

You can say - please read now book  dragonriders of pern chapter one
-too read chapter one

All the encyclopedia stuff can be added later (when we have an encyclopedia to add)

We'll have one main folder for books which has individual folders for every individual book (cotaining the chapters), an encyclopedia folder, an article folder, and of course your song folder (why not[:D]).

The self-titled entries and the log entries will of course have their own folders.

Other than maybe a few changes in the getresponse's and commands I think that might finish this project up.

Live long and proper -Dude

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 11:26:25 pm »
snowman, the download link is not working at this time. I tryed another, a gui I was able to open it once. Tryed it again, no dice. I'll try again tomorow.
ted

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 01:26:05 am »

tedathome,

sorry...my fault....I think I fixed the problem

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 06:39:33 am »
Thanks man! Got it and a bunch of other goodies as well. Will let you know when I test it.[8D]
ted

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 01:06:20 am »
Well it's just not working well if at all for me. Ocationaly if I say now read current log, it will bring up hal pad for dictation with times recorded but nothing else, if I write something in there and save and it just happens to open it for me it will show it but I have to manualy click on read document out loud. By the way if it brings up hal pad it is usually when I exit log mode. Sometimes it will say it is entering log mode but not usually and even when it does, I don't really think it actualy does. Sorry for a negative reply.
ted