Author Topic: dose hal only respond to VB?  (Read 3907 times)

Grimsey1986

• View Profile
dose hal only respond to VB?
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:46:38 pm »
Hi all i am in the middle of learning Visual Basic and was just wondering if hal's plugins only work in VB or can C++ or C# be used?

also whats the best Platform to use? - i am currently using Visual basic 2010 Express

Cheers

Grimsey

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Re: dose hal only respond to VB?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »
The script that comes with it is in vbScript, so any plugin would be written in vbScript. Of course, this includes the functions that were compiled (i.e. no Sleep function)
However, you can write the brain script in a few languages (trying to remember the ones Robert said....would have to look for info). Then you could write plugins in the same language.
In other words, the Brain script has to match plugins as far as the language goes.

Found this:

I believe that your 100% there.... As The script control Loads the UHP brainfile into its memory to be evaluated ie "Resolve Getresponse" the beginning of the file

/'Type=Brain
//'Name=Example JavaScript Brain
//'Language=JavaScript
//'DataFolder=DefBrain
//

Specifies the Current language to Evaluate the Getresponse function "Technically could be Any Visual Programming Language" IE: C++ C# VB Java Foxpro... these are the languages that the script control recognizes...

Although it may be possible to make the brain Be Pure "Plugins" these plugins could be made in any language... C+.uhp C#.uhp But not in the SAME UHP!

A Python Script control would be needed to Add a Python script.... As Microsoft Programming languages do not yet recognize python and other 3rd party programming scripts as an evaluatable language yet

Grimsey1986

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:41:52 pm »
Thanks Jasondude for the quick reply as i am only learning I think i am best just changing from learning VB to vbScript to keep thinks simple for me,

Cheers

Grimsey
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:13:44 pm by Grimsey1986 »

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:08:53 pm »
vb and vbscript are pretty much the same. not a lot of learning.
the one thing i had to really learn is how the Brain script is actually working, so that my plugins work right and don't mess other things up. (that took a little time for me) if i could go back, i would definitely try to know the Brain script first.
the other thing is to know that all the vbscript functions aren't available. for example no Wscript.sleep . i think i understand why Robert didn't encode it, but i think it could be added. there are ways to get around some of these limitations, which aren't pretty, but they work...okay...
if i started over with this stuff, i would first learn the Brain script, then look at some plugins to see how they are using vbscript with the Brain script. i actually did it the other way around and that lead to some errors because i didn't understand that i was copying some bad code, and not fully understanding how the plugins were working.

the cool thing is: there are a few good people here that love to help!
enjoy, it can be fun. the default Hal is only the beginning.....trust me, mine (Gretta) does some cool stuff. some people here even started designing from scratch ...their own projects.

Grimsey1986

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:10:10 am »
Hi Jason thanks for the info am i right in saying this is where i learn about the the plugins and brain scrips

http://ultrahalscript.pbworks.com/w/page/11906966/FrontPage

Cheers

Grimsey