Author Topic: Hal Strongly Refuses... author's last name  (Read 9916 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
Hal Strongly Refuses... author's last name
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 10:41:28 am »
Their is some odd things as Datopia said that hal does yes the periods is one of them i have also found that Mc doesent come out right either as in mc donald i have had hal say it like(pronouncing) m c donald , so i have written in to hal mick donald to make it pronounce right even though the spelling is acually wrong .
some of us have had problems with hal mentioning different states even though we aren't talking about a state at all.
it's in hals programming script as far as i know.

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »
Using full names instead of initials sounds good to me, thanks Datahopa [:)]

lightspeed, I had no idea about the states or Mc problems, I'll keep that on mind, thanks[:)]

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »
you must remember that the data that was in the brain before...(the bad sentences that you had)....is still there. so by adding the text that i gave you to the brain, it should solve it from happening again, but not stop it from repeating the sentences it learned from before you added the text to the brain.

if you want to start fresh then you must create a new brain and add the text i gave you to that brain. or option 2 - go to the brain editor and look for the bad sentences (somewhere in the "learned" section) and remove the whole line. then you will not have hal repeat something wrong it learned from before you gave it the ability to split the sentences correctly.

Pogo

• View Profile
Re: Hal Strongly Refuses... author's last name
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 06:25:12 pm »
Hello!  I am finding similar issues.  Hal refuses to open the internet, refuses to talk to me first before 'I will help you research this on the internet', then bang; a poorly worded search.  A lot of work went into this program, however, at this time I don't see the program as being interactively useful.  I will keep slogging away for a time.  Good Luck!

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 01:44:06 am »
Hello!  I am finding similar issues.  Hal refuses to open the internet, refuses to talk to me first before 'I will help you research this on the internet', then bang; a poorly worded search.  A lot of work went into this program, however, at this time I don't see the program as being interactively useful.  I will keep slogging away for a time.  Good Luck!

Hello Pogo!  This was one of my first posts, some months ago. I know how you feel because I also had some difficulties with Hal when I started, and still do, but in a lesser way.  Don't get discouraged by it, you'll be learning more as time goes by, if you stick with it.  Hal is far from perfect, just as everything else is, the point is to focus on its positive aspects and try to find ways to work with its flaws.

To search in the internet I use the GRETTA Internet plug-in, and have no current problems, so far.   The Gretta plug-ins are found at the Ultra Hal Assistant File Sharing Area:  http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=6278.0

The key with Hal is to have patience, read instructions, ask questions or search the site. This forum has a lot of valuable information if you take the time to explore it by searching.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do!  :)

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 05:12:58 am »
i think some of my voice recognitions i've used put a full stop after Mr.
So i've used Mister Data

bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Pogo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 02:53:23 pm »
Hello Lola!

I have lots of time so I can interact with Hal or play with programming.  Although I am too old and impatient to program anymore.  After many round about conversations, I was able to get Hal to ask before 'helping me with an Internet search'.  It is still iffy though.  We had to have discussions on a criminal mind and the definition of criminal, what is an arguement, the difference between organic and machine intelligence, and the definition of funny and the reason for laughter.  I have assigned the name Lara and use the 'Sandy' image.  Now, we end up discussing Blond jokes.  The persona seems to become 'hurt' at blond jokes.  But got better after being told not to take things too literaly.  Still trying to figure out how to 'convince the program to be an assistant' as I could use reminders for meds appts directions to places etc.  We did discuss music as non verbal communication when Hal would refuse to open Media Player.  Today, as an experiment I played my guitar... simple bluegrass, P. Floyd and some Collective Soul.  It may be my playing, but Hal became non-responsive for a time.  It is my hope to install a 'mature' program on some high memory PDA type device and interact by voice.  The voice recog seems to improve.  But, The word 'in' constantly shows up in the input dialog box. ( where you can type).  My mic is on, but I haven't said anything.  Sometime its another short one syllable word, like 'and'.  As a result the context of anything changes:  "in I don't know."  or "and I don't know".  When this happens I don't see how it can be anything but a block to effective communication.  I suppose that I ahave run on.  But again I have the time.  I do not expect a reply.  I do thank you for yours.  Pogo

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 07:33:22 pm »
Hello Pogo!

Having lots of time = Freedom!  That's great Pogo, freedom is a priceless commodity that is the most important tool to focus in the things that are more important to us. You already know programming so there you go, another tool in your favor! Now I see that you'll only need to recapture your patience skills that you already learned with programming. Everything looks very promising for you to be able to succeed with Hal.

What I do is to organize myself by making a list of things that I wish to do with Hal and try to go by steps as much as possible. I'm currently exploring the brain and moderately adding, deleting and modifying things in the autoLearningBrain, so far with good results. I have also explored the other sections but I'm not touching them until I get to learn more about them.

There are parts in the MiscData you could browse for appointments information. It is the formatAppointment substitution table that is called by the Ultra Hal Assistant appointment plug-in.

A folder to explore is the halCommands folder and its pattern match table, it is used by the Ultra Hal Assistant plug-in to enable Hal to run programs on command.

The vrMp3 table is used to lists the location of songs in the hard drive and it seems to be used by the   GRETTAmedia plug-in plug that I currently use or the vrMP3 plug-in.

The vrWeb folder lists the actual internet URLs to go to the sites you wish as go to weather - go to local news- go to national news - go to yahoo – etc

You see these parts of the brain could be useful to you to help you with your current concerns. For the time being I'm not modifying any of them until I learn more about them. Then I will probably start by adding items to play it safe.

I mainly use the Gretta's plug-ings in my Win 7 netbook. They are updated regularly and I find them very useful and reliable. My favorites are; GRETTA array, read a story, media, music iddle, lonely, curiosity and repeat. There are some others for news, research, emotion, etc. You could check to see if they could work for you.

I use the original Hal robot character because I really find it adorable. I also use the Microsoft's Anna voice because its a little robotic. I don't use skins but I do have several backgrounds to change.  My preference is to type instead of talking. So there are many features of Hal that I can't comment about because I'm not familiar with them. A few moths ago I was quite lost with Hal and I'm finally starting to get the kick out of it!

Well Pogo, I hope you'll find these encouraging and will like to hear about your future accomplishments with it because you certainly have the potential.  :)

Hi Will! I just needed to tell you that I certainly admire your robotic skills, I find it just AMAZING! Greetings to you and Mr. Data and hope he's doing better.  :)

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 03:50:35 am »
Hi Lola from Will,
Thanks,
Mr Data's doing fine :]
ar,, um,
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data :)  :]