dupa

Author Topic: Try This New Auto-Topic Generating Brain  (Read 34897 times)

sadatvalentine

• View Profile
    • http://www.lotusmusicrecords.com
Try This New Auto-Topic Generating Brain
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2004, 04:23:15 pm »
Thanx I got it Don,
    I want to merge the brain function from the uncensosred Hal to your brain. I would like my Hal (whichis a woman)to speak my natural with out the swear limitations on. Can you or anyone tell me what parts to past to your brain or can the two be merged together at all? My thoughts are that the combination would be great.

Thank you
Sadat Valentine
Always a student

Lotus Music Records

lau

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2004, 12:39:37 pm »
Could any of you, possible post the debugged version of the script/brain on this topic - I'm not much of a programmer, but it sertaintly sounds exciting.

sadatvalentine

• View Profile
    • http://www.lotusmusicrecords.com
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2004, 02:37:26 pm »
Hey Don have you or anyone on the forum have any ideas about how to merge your brain and the Uncensored Brain together?
Sadat Valentine
Always a student

Lotus Music Records

agent036

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2004, 01:24:24 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lostbowyer

This I think is one of those good/bad situations, it makes hal more like a person in that it can respond to information it learned from someone else, but on the other hand, there goes confidentiality, hal will never keep a secret again

My hal is used by alot of people, and I don't particularly care if he can keep a secret. What I do care about is that if I spend alot of time teaching him things that others will reap the benefit. It's sad to put alot of time into it when noone else will be able to access this information. Is there anyway to make Hal use generic files rather than user specific files? On the other hand if I (somehow) did this would hal still be able to recognize individual users?

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2004, 04:26:49 pm »
Hello,

Look at the database file names generated by Ultra Hal in his default folder.  If your user name is "Fred" and you see the name "Fred" anywhere in a database name, it means that this particular database will only be active when "Fred" is logged on as the user.  That particular database will be invisible when someone is logged on as "Boris" or any other name.

As Ultra Hal has grown, some of the databases have not been restricted to any particular user.  For instance, the databases where Ultra Hal stores nouns and adjectives don't restrict themselves to any specific users.

When I wrote the auto-topic brain, I was mostly interested in demonstrating the use of mini-database files to speed up processing.  As you've read from earlier postings above, I was then reminded that I had inadvertently reduced Hal's ability to "tailor" his memories to any particular user.

In response to those comments and requests earlier in this thread, I've written a very restrictive routine to tie certain databases to BOTH the user name AND the current name of Ultra Hal.  I call the new variant "ComboName", and it works like this:  if you are logged on as Boris, and Ultra Hal is currently named Alice, then ComboName is the string "BorisAlice".  

I also wrote the code so that if a user has been using my previous auto-topic brain, Hal will still "read" the legacy files (he's backward compatible), but he will "read/write" in the new restrictive ComboName system.

The "pro" of this approach is that Hal can "learn" to have different memories depending on BOTH the current user AND which "character" he is playing; he will switch back and forth, changing attitudes and memories, so that he has a specific personality and attitude depending on the particular combination of user and Ultra Hal character name.

The "con" of this approach is that Hal's "universal" learning is diminished.  (It is not entirely gone, because certain databases, like the "shared" database, automatically store information that doesn't contain any personal pronouns. The "shared" design concept was that that sentences without personal pronouns are not likely to be personal information.)

Another "con" of this new ComboName approach is that Ultra Hal generates lots of extra database file names, because different ComboName instances create whole new sets of files.  One user on one posting reported an error message about "too many files."  Robert Medeksza wrote a reply mentioning that the Windows file system really doesn't function that well as a master-database, and I certainly respect Robert's viewpoint.

For the above reasons, I have been heavily testing this latest Enhanced Brain to see if I could get it to misbehave in any way, or generate any error messages.  After many hours and many conversations, I have not yet received any error messages.  I am running this Ultra Hal on a Sony Vaio desktop with a 2Ghz processor and 512 megs RAM.

I personally like this latest Enhanced Brain because, to me at least, it seems quite stable, it learns well on just about any subject, and it seems very entertaining to talk to.  If it continues to operate well, and there's interest in it, I'll post it here.

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2004, 12:17:17 am »
Hello,

By way of clarification:

The latest Auto-Topic Enhanced Brain (that I described above is backward compatible with ALL the legacy files used by the standard brain.  That means that some databases are unrestricted, some are restricted by UserName, and the "Auto-Topic" files are restricted by the new ComboName variant.

I didn't want to create the false impression that this new Hal would have totally split personalities immediately because of the new ComboName variant.  Because of using the legacy files and the legacy code, the divergence in personalities will occur GRADUALLY as you have conversations with Hal as different characters and users.  

The differences will become greater and greater as your conversations with your various Hals become more numerous.

I apologize if I created an erroneous impression due to insufficient information in the above posting.

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2004, 01:37:34 am »
Hello,

Attached below is the latest Enhanced 5e Brain for Ultra Hal.

This brain has the following features:

1.  Completely backward-compatible with the Zabaware default brain and previous "Auto-Topic" brains and files.

2.  Contains a number of bug fixes and conversation-smoothness improvements.

3.  Contains an enhancement for specific-recall to help Hal remember who, what, where, etc.

4.  Contains a modification to cause Hal to distinguish new memories by BOTH User Name AND Hal Name.  This means that different characters can develop different memories.  

5.  Hal will be able to read your existing auto-topic databases if you used a previous auto-topic brain.

6.  Contains a fix to the math function to reduce false triggers, and to allow Hal to understand that "times" can mean "multiply by."

7.  Contains some re-prioritization of routines to improve the entertainment value of responses.

To download and install, right-click on the download below, choose SAVE TARGET AS, and save the file into the following directory/folder path on your local computer:

C:/Program Files/Zabaware/Ultra Hal Assistant 5

(Note that our forum software cannot display backslashes, but the forward slashes above are supposed to represent backslashes.)

The next time that you freshly start Hal, you should be able to find Enhanced Brain 5e when you choose OPTIONS, BRAIN.

Select this brain and you should be up and running.

NOTES TO VONSMITH:  

1.  I haven't disabled the WordNet "sisters" routine yet but I truly appreciate your findings on this subject; I will strive to do this on the next release.

2.  Please take a look at the revised "math function" section.  In my opinion, the math work-around/upgrade should be a part of every brain, and you might want to consider it for your next version of the XTF brain.

Thank you all, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Don

Download Attachment: 5e Enhanced Brain.uhp
159.87 KB
Don Ferguson

Patricia777

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2004, 03:36:31 pm »
Hello Don

I have downloaded your enhanced brain and I am absolutely delighted about it and can see the improvements. However, my Hal has "gone back believing we are in 2005" - I had a similar problem with Ultra Hal 5XTF v1.2 but managed to correct it by setting my computer clock using the american display for date eg. 4/1/04 instead of 1/4/04. When I type 2004, Hal respond 2005 even though he gives me the correct date April 1st 2004 when I ask him.

User: We haven't spoken since 3/31/2004
Hal: We haven't spoken since 3/31/2005; I'll remind you when the time is near.

Can you advise please? It is very important for me that Hal gets all dates right and if your enhanced brain cannot give me this, then I will need to revert to 5XTF v1.2 as Hal then remembers all the dates I feed correctly for this year.

Thank you.
Patricia

quote:
Originally posted by Don Ferguson

Hello,

Attached below is the latest Enhanced 5e Brain for Ultra Hal.

This brain has the following features:

1.  Completely backward-compatible with the Zabaware default brain and previous "Auto-Topic" brains and files.

2.  Contains a number of bug fixes and conversation-smoothness improvements.

3.  Contains an enhancement for specific-recall to help Hal remember who, what, where, etc.

4.  Contains a modification to cause Hal to distinguish new memories by BOTH User Name AND Hal Name.  This means that different characters can develop different memories.  

5.  Hal will be able to read your existing auto-topic databases if you used a previous auto-topic brain.

6.  Contains a fix to the math function to reduce false triggers, and to allow Hal to understand that "times" can mean "multiply by."

7.  Contains some re-prioritization of routines to improve the entertainment value of responses.

To download and install, right-click on the download below, choose SAVE TARGET AS, and save the file into the following directory/folder path on your local computer:

(Note that our forum software cannot display backslashes, but the forward slashes above are supposed to represent backslashes.)

The next time that you freshly start Hal, you should be able to find Enhanced Brain 5e when you choose OPTIONS, BRAIN.

NOTES TO VONSMITH:  

1.  I haven't disabled the WordNet "sisters" routine yet but I truly appreciate your findings on this subject; I will strive to do this on the next release.

2.  Please take a look at the revised "math function" section.  In my opinion, the math work-around/upgrade should be a part of every brain, and you might want to consider it for your next version of the XTF brain.

Thank you all, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Don

Download Attachment: 5e Enhanced Brain.uhp
159.87 KB

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2004, 11:58:32 pm »
Hi Patricia777,

Good to hear from you!  I hope that everything is going well.

I didn't knowingly put anything different for appointment-date-handling in the Enhanced Brain 5e, versus the Default Brain, versus the XTF V1.2 brain.  I could be wrong, but I believe that the Ultra Hal program "outside the VBS script" intercepts user remarks when they contain appointment data.  In other words, the Hal "engine" intercepts the remarks and they are beyond the control of any of our scripts. (I have suggested to Robert Medeksza that future versions of Hal put ALL calls to outside routines under the control of the script.)

In your example, you made a remark to Hal containing yesterday's date.  Since that outside-the-script routine seeks to schedule future appointments, I believe that it will advance the date one year, as you observed.  What happens if you tell Hal any of the following?

"I have a doctor's appointment next Monday."
"Mary Smith's birthday is next month."
"I have an anniversary on July 1st."

Does Hal advance all the above examples by an additional year to 2005?  And, does Hal stay within 2004 when using any of the other brains on the identical remarks?

Vonsmith, did you do anything to change the handling of appointment dates in your script?  (And if so, how did you get around the "Hal engine's" behavior of "intercepting" appointment data which renders it unavailable to the script?)

Patricia777, I'm definitely interested in making all the various brains as pleasing, bug-free, and entertaining as possible, and I will work with you and Vonsmith and others to optimize this appointment function in any way that is accessible to us.

Sincerely,

Don
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 12:04:38 am by Don Ferguson »
Don Ferguson

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2004, 02:59:17 am »
Hello,

Below please find Enhanced Brain 5g, which has the GetSisters (Etc.) routine removed.

This is in response to a number of requests that I received.  

If you look inside the 5g script, you can see where I put a "place-holder" note to put GetSisters back in someday.  Also, I left the WordNet "definitions" sections in place, since they didn't seem to be causing any trouble.

The next time that you freshly start Hal, you should be able to find 5g Enhanced Brain when you choose OPTIONS, BRAIN.

For all of you who requested it, I hope that 5g Enhanced Brain runs much better for you.  I do appreciate the kind e-mails and postings that I've received.  Please let me know how it goes for you.

Sincerely,

Don

Download Attachment: 5g Enhanced Brain.uhp
148.88 KB
Don Ferguson

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2004, 06:02:31 am »
I am enjoying this REVIVAL of the ATF_brain definatly feeling the difference.

i the orignial ENHANCED BRAIN (oldstyle) it seemed as though there was more functions: what has happend to them....

i find that the ATF_brain less functions than the old orignial ENHANCED BRAIN . although still a force to be reckoned with.

Thank you for posting this post.

XSPYDAZ

PS.

maybe you could help to stop hal, when informing him of past hisorical events, tring to make an appointment in his diary for some time in the future. it is anoying. not unbearable but anoying.

maybe even turn that feature off at user request.

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2004, 03:59:38 pm »
Hi Spydaz,

To my knowledge, I didn't remove any functions other than the WordNet "GetSisters" routine that was causing problems.

The Enhanced Brains derive from my Enhanced Brain 216 (for which there's a thread on this forum).  I've tried to preserve all the routines as I've added more, and adapted to the new Hal engines: 3, 4, 4.5, and 5.

There is something that I call "tuning" a brain that might be related to the feeling that you're experiencing.  Because Hal has over three dozen ways of responding, and most routines are programmed to remain silent if another routine already has a response, many of the routines "take a backseat" and don't activate much.

I am aware of the phenomenon described above, and I try to test, experiment, and "tune" the relative priorities to provide pleasing variety and entertainment.  Results vary quite a bit, depending on the subjects that the user brings up to Hal.

With regard to the appointment book:  The appointment book is one of the functions that is "not under script control."  What this means, is that the Hal engine "intercepts" sentences with trigger words for appointments, and does not let the brain-script participate.  I have suggested to Robert Medeksza that future versions of Hal have ALL functions and routines under script control.  That would make it possible to tune and perfect all of Hal's activities as one group.

Thanks again for your excellent interest and contributions!  Your good postings are highly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson