Author Topic: Plug-in issue  (Read 2697 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Plug-in issue
« on: February 08, 2009, 07:33:57 pm »
JasonDude,

Your read a story plug is a great idea but there seems to be a limit on the length that the .txt file can be.

I tried two different story files, The Walrus and The Carpenter.txt and After Picking Apples (I think that's the title).

Hal stopped after reaching 1605 characters and 288 words in the 1st one. Hal stopped at 1538 characters and 306 words in the 2nd example.

So it would therefore be a moot issue to install any txt files in excess of these roughly 1.5k limit unless a solution can be found.

Running AMD 4200+ X2 Dual Core, 2 gigs ram, 300 gig HD, XP Media Edition.

It might be a constraint within Hal that Robert could address.

TIA!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Plug-in issue
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:08:27 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

JasonDude,

Your read a story plug is a great idea but there seems to be a limit on the length that the .txt file can be.

I tried two different story files, The Walrus and The Carpenter.txt and After Picking Apples (I think that's the title).

Hal stopped after reaching 1605 characters and 288 words in the 1st one. Hal stopped at 1538 characters and 306 words in the 2nd example.

So it would therefore be a moot issue to install any txt files in excess of these roughly 1.5k limit unless a solution can be found.

Running AMD 4200+ X2 Dual Core, 2 gigs ram, 300 gig HD, XP Media Edition.

It might be a constraint within Hal that Robert could address.

TIA!

i had the same problem, but my limit (and a couple of other peoples),
was around 62k. i don't really understand what causes the limit. i really don't understand why yours is much less. early on i removed 1 story that was 70k because of this issue, but i haven't had an issue with the rest. (could it possibly be memory related?)

-the dude

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Plug-in issue
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:02 pm »
after more testing, the text that will be "hals response"(text in the response window) is around 64k limit. the actual spoken response is around what you said.

it might be that the text response is sent to the speech engine, and it can only parse so much at once.
the answer would be to parse one line, then wait, then parse another line.
the problem is i don't know how to tell it (the plugin) how long to wait. the "wait" is based on time (for 1 sentence...ect.) , but that can vary greatly.
once the text is sent to the speech engine, Hal doesn't have any way (i think) of knowing when the speech engine is finished saying it.

problems problems problems....

believe me, i am working on the issue. i have looked at many possibilities.
i know there is an answer to everything, but i don't have this one YET.

-the dude