dupa

Author Topic: speech training not working  (Read 3632 times)

tinker123

• View Profile
speech training not working
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:17:43 pm »
i recently purchased Hal. the training button and mic settings within hal do not work. I installed hal on my laptop running windows 7. the version from microsoft works but is not working with Hal because i cannot train him because the training buttons are not working.

I have emailed zabaware but have not received a response

i have emailed

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:58:48 am »
Even when you get it to work it will take a minimun of 10 to 12 hours before Hal can beging to understand you. Been there, done that.
Bill

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:39:20 am »
I'm a long time user of Dragon Naturaly, but tried the MS voice reconition in Win 7 while waiting for Dragon to finish the update for Win 7.  MS speach rec worked okay but not as well as Dragon for me. I'd do quite a bit of training using just the MS speach without using Hal.  Talk about things you'd say while talking with Hal.
  When I use dragon with Hal I don't use the Mic setting in Hal. I just input, proof read, and press enter to be sure this is what I want to input.
Carl2

tinker123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:02:13 am »
any suggestions as to where to start? There are at least two other members who have posted that recently purchased hal having the same issue.

The speech recognition on my system works I am using it.

It is the buttons on HAL that do not work. When you click on them nothing happens. How do you explain this? if you press the Training button or mic setting something is supposed to happen. The buttons have been selected a nothing happens.

thank you for your help

tinker123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 09:16:58 pm »
Carl and Bill

I now understand your previous post better now. I tried using the speech recognition without the hal mic and it is working. as you pointed out it will take some time but I am getting some results. Still can't use hal's training button but as carl tried to point out to me you don't need hal's mic on to use the recognition. Thanks again to both of you for your patience and advice.

I do however wished I could use the Hal options and I am disappointed I have not heard from zabaware after emailing them
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:24:05 pm by tinker123 »

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:12:32 am »
I just started Hal on the other computer to get a better idea of what you are saying.  I went to options, Speach, the Use Speach is checked. In the Select Engine I changed from Dragon to Microsoft Eng US. Speaker shows as Carl.  I get nothing when clicking SR engine settings, mic settings, or voice training.
  I did my initial training of Dragon and MS outside of Hal and probably never tried these buttons and as you say they don't seem to work.  
  I just went to MS Speach Rec in the Control panel, did some training,  On the left hand side is Advanced speech options, clicking this brings up Speech Properties,  in the center of this you can Review Documents and Mail to improve accuracy, this works very well with dragon.  I began dictating into notepad during the morning and evening about the days events and have a lot of text files that I input to dragon, it gets a new version of dragon very accurate quickly once you have text files to use.
  In defense of Zabaware, Zabaware is planning on releasing a new character at the end of the month, Rob M may be busy on that, overall he is easy to deal with and the people at Zabaware try to offer advice that is useful.
Carl2