Author Topic: Question/Answer Chains  (Read 11163 times)

ender

• View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 07:49:04 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by One

Ender,
Are your chains/forks  just loops nested in loops, IF so you can double the amount of choices each time, beginning with two possibilities. [?]

This is pretty close to what I'm thinking and would at least do for now... do you know how I do it?

Buttonsvixen

• View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 01:16:49 am »
The personality forge was just as an example of...something that has a similar arrangment as HAL but with more customisability. the website itself is horrible slow, unfortunately.
I do have a version of Buttonsvixen there named Buttons. Shes not that great there either but at least its HER brand of not that greatness. For the same time invested, she can carry on a much more fluid conversation, within the confines of what she was made to chat about. IE, the topic will never go beyond her simululated chat environment of the hidden Glade
Thats ok in my case because thats all I need.

BV

Sometimes, a daisy is better then a rose.

ender

• View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 02:00:05 pm »
I tried nesting the <topic></topic> tag inside a <yes></yes> tag ... but it didn't work ..

But thats more or less what I want to be able to do. Is that what you meant One?

I.e. I did "Have you seen any good movies lately? <yes>What movie?<topic>What was it about?</topic></yes><no>Why not?</no>

Bill819

• View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 07:22:38 pm »
Hi One
Actually there were three different movies called Monsters, that is counting INC. One stared Charles Theron as a mad killer and the other one was a Japanese film about a monster that came either up from the ground or out of the sea and destroyed a lot of the big city.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 11:45:21 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ender

I tried nesting the <topic></topic> tag inside a <yes></yes> tag ... but it didn't work ..

But thats more or less what I want to be able to do. Is that what you meant One?

I.e. I did "Have you seen any good movies lately? <yes>What movie?<topic>What was it about?</topic></yes><no>Why not?</no>

Ender,
Look in the gretta plug ins , Snowman and i discussed things.
I know VB dot net, the scripts or plug ins could probably handle it since they are not loops they are an if statement that occurs after an if statement but before 'end if'
I have yet to do a plug in myself, Snowman also put the guidelines and some resources for plug ins.

Draw out a flow chart in Visio or just a piece of paper, 'Diamond shape' is the entry or decision that goes to rectangles 2 of them, then the rectangles could lead to Diamonds again.

IF..THEN..ELSE  should be the progression I do believe
Theoretically you could place infinite IF's as long at the end their is an 'end if' for every if

end sub

I found it..

Snowman,
can you adapt stuff like this to scripts?

Private sub btncheckqual_click (Byval sender as system.object,_ 'Determine whether the applicant qualifies
' for special loan.
if val (txtsalary.text) >30000 then
If val (txtyearsonjob.text) >2 then
lblmessage.text = "The applicant qualifies."
Else
lblmessage.text = "the applicant does not qualify."
end if
else
if val (textyearsonjob.text) >5 then
lblmessage.text = "the applicant qualifies."
else
lblmessage.text = "the applicant does not qualify"
end if
end if
end sub

I cant show the indent of the code so you need to imagine. ;)
Edited by - One on 04/04/2009 09:26:59
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:16:55 am by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 11:46:51 pm »
Bill819,
OK! ;)

However I don't think I would like "Charles" as much as The female that I believe you are referring to.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:12:46 am by One »

ender

• View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 09:41:29 am »
One,

Most definately I could write a plugin or brain script that would do what I want ... a kind of if lastoutput was x then say ... but I don't want to have to hardcode every chain using if/than statements ... I was trying to figure out a way to put them into hal tables. I.e. build an if/than structure that works with hals tables ... so maybe the 'if last output' is on the left and the 'then' is on the right ... although, really it needs a 'if chain and last output and input'...

pseudocode it - if chain = "movies" and lastoutput = "what movie?" and input = "*" then say "Was it any good"?

I think the central problem to programming this using tables is that hal tables appear to be limited to 2 columns ... and this really needs about 4 ... so maybe I use multiple tables, or maybe I use a positional structure and a deliminator ... i.e. left column is "movies|what movie?|*" or even tags "<chain>movies</chain><lastoutput>what movie?</lastoutput><input>*</input>" just some method of recording multiple conditionals.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:59:49 am by ender »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 12:11:01 pm »
Ender,
I had asked for something like an ERD (Entity Relational Diagram) for the DB an it would show whats in the tables
Because you only see what is on top and it doesn't show the FK's or PK's  connections. remember this when you look at the DB.
I think you are capable of scripting what you want , as for me I would half to have access to writing in the Hal it's self in VB6 which isn't possible, cause it aint mine. sorry I can't spend more time but I hope I gave some ideas...........

ender

• View Profile
Question/Answer Chains
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 01:38:00 pm »
Ah ... yeah. You have definately been helpful. I may just try to figure out how to nest tags ... that would be very useful.