Author Topic: How to teach Hal...  (Read 4266 times)

Cyberstoned

• View Profile
How to teach Hal...
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:38:07 am »
to use programs such as Winamp, or is there one out already?  I think it would be neat for it to be more interactive with programs.

It would also be pretty cool to have it be able to speak to others like MyBot does on MSN using messengers.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:39:48 pm by Cyberstoned »

Bill819

• View Profile
How to teach Hal...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:11:57 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Cyberstoned

to use programs such as Winamp, or is there one out already?  I think it would be neat for it to be more interactive with programs.

It would also be pretty cool to have it be able to speak to others like MyBot does on MSN using messengers.

I don't think that Hal can do that. It can when asked run any program that you want, or should I say it can load them but you have to run or operate them yourself.
Bill

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How to teach Hal...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:53:45 pm »
cyberstoned,
The Ultra Hal Assistant is just that, an 'Assistant' and does a pretty good job at that capacity.

As far as 'Hal' goes I am not sure as even the message boards are confusing.
I do believe 'Hal' would be considered a nick name as their are A.I.'s already named "Hal"
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
How to teach Hal...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »
not from the box...but because of the original Hal setup, it is possible to modify it to do almost anything. it depends on your level of skill with programming/or your level of programmer friends[:)]

Autoit! is a program that is used to create programs to run windows stuff. If you can write programs with it, you can interface those with Hal and run anything windows.

But out of the box, like bill says, it can open programs.

It is also possible to have Hal run batch files, ect.
You could create programs with Autoit! then compile them, and have Hal run them with a voice command. i.e. "Please turn up the volume" in the Hal window would run an Autoit! program that would turn the volume up 3 notches in winamp.
Autoit! is free. (and no i don't work for them[:)]) despite the repititous plugs.

-the dude

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
How to teach Hal...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:04:39 am »
There was a plug-in by Prospector from a modified script by vonsmith that used WinAmp to allow Hal to play any song in your music folder but I think it was primarily written for Hal 5 as it mentioned the XTF (Xtended Topic Foxus) brain that vonsmith created.

I'm sure it could be reworked and tweaked to work the the latest Hal.

If any's interested, let me know....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Cyberstoned

• View Profile
How to teach Hal...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:40:25 am »
Haha, I know nothing of programming, but if I stare at a program long enough I can usually figure it out.  I will try this AutoIt, if push comes to shove, I'll actually read up on how to work it.  

I know what I want Hal to be able to do, it's knowing Jack about programming that stops me :P