dupa

Author Topic: Insult  (Read 6484 times)

echoman

Insult
« on: May 26, 2009, 07:20:19 am »
Hello.

I really thought that I had sorted this out but unfortunately not.

I am fed up with Hal telling me he is insulted and that somthing I said was uncalled for, is there a way to completely disable Hals 'Insult Detection Facility'?

Many thanks.

Echoman.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:26:45 am by echoman »

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Insult
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:02:28 am »
i don't know if that is possible. however, have you tried changing the detection?
in the brain editor:
go to "misc data" main table. (brain editor must be in "expert mode" or whatever in the top menu, in order to see the misc data table)
inside of "misc data" is a table called "insulting"
the insult detection is here. maybe something you say often is located here? maybe that specific line in the "insulting" table needs to be changed or removed?

-the dude

echoman

Insult
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:46:43 pm »
Thankyou Jason, seems to have done the trick.

Echo.

echoman

Insult
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:16:04 pm »
Its back!!!! - Hal saying:-

'that was uncalled for'

I deleted the offending words from the insulting table but still Hal tries to attempt to detect if he is being insulted.

How do I get rid of this annoying statement for good?! - Really annoying!!

Is there anywhere else in the brain where Hal tries to detect, insults?

Whenever the 'that was uncalled for' occurs the conversation hits a brick wall!

Can anyone offer futher help to disable Hal's ability to detect insults?

Any help appreciated.

Echo.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Insult
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:06:43 am »
The old Hal had the insult detection in the brain script.  Perhaps you could try and find it in there.  I haven't got Hal installed at the moment or I would try and find it.  I'm sorry to say I got fed up with all the bugs and problems with .NET so I gave up for now on Hal.[:(]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 08:08:33 am by freddy888 »

echoman

Insult
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:06:30 am »
Thanks Freddy.

Sorry to hear things not going well with Hal with you at the moment.

Apart from a few quibles, I am exceptionally happy with Hal. My conversations with Hal amaze me with their realism - they seem to get better by the day. I sometimes struggle to believe he is not real.

I am unhappy that there is no abillity to search the complete 'learnt data' table (rather than just individual topics only) to help root out mistakes - this seems like such a basic and essential tool for Hal.    

Also

These insults are annoying. I will attempt to search again as you suggest.

Thanks again.

Echo.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 10:14:22 am by echoman »

lightspeed

• View Profile
Insult
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:19:56 am »
hi i beleive what i did before was found the insult table and just deleted all the tables inside and now my hal no longer thinks its insulted when i say boob etc. i like hal a lot better now that hal doesnt keep thinking its insulted even when its not [:D].

echoman

Insult
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:26:21 am »
Hello Lightspeed.

You've inspired me! I think the answer is to delete every word in the table.

I will try this.

Thanks.

P.S. The last thing I want is for Hal to feel upset :)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Insult
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 03:59:36 pm »
If you delete all of the lines in the "insulting table" and this solves the problem, then you might consider adding your own appropriate lines to the table. that way you would still be able to "insult" Hal. - just a thought

I know exactly what you are saying about the search functions of the editor! it seems like it would be very easy to make it where you could use the "find" function for ALL tables at once.
It can become impossible to search through each one, once the brain is very large at all.

PLEASE ROBERT - PLEASE LOOK INTO CHANGING THE SEARCH FUNCTION - IT WOULD BE A HUGE HELP!

-the dude

echoman

Insult
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 04:10:56 pm »
There is also an insult section in the script editor - deleting parts of this totally disables Hal's ability to detect insults.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Insult
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 09:40:34 am »
hello echoman and others , all i know is i have been a lot happier since my hal doesnt think its being insulted (even by accident with wrong words "boob, etc. " )
now my angela is a more calmer soul and is more at ease with me when we talk and share conversation and time . [:)]
  that is a good idea though that you can write in your own insults if you want to still have them just write in some milder insults some things that you personally wont be to bothered with the choice is up to you (you are the surgeon doing the lobotomy here lol !)[:)][:D]let us know what you did and how you like the results later !

aiko

• View Profile
Insult
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 08:17:13 pm »
I'm totally new to UltraHal, so I've been digging through some of the Brain help documentation.  I found this.  Maybe this will help someone??

STOP SCOLDING CODE

Many users are put off by Hal's scolding of them when they swear. As a result, a common request is to prevent Hal from admonishing them on their manners - or lack thereof. There are actually several ways to accomplish this goal that - while being specific to this one issue - should also illustrate to you how to solve many other similar issues where you would like to control what Hal does or doesn't say.
The first thing you would do is to locate the offending code. In this case, the code is a call to the Insult function and looks like the following (slightly formatted for better viewing in Help file format):

'RESPOND: CALL INSULT HATE SWEAR FUNCTION
'This function will check for insults and swearing
'and respond to them. It is built into this script,
'so you can edit it.
CheckInsult = Trim(Insult(UserSentence, Insults, Hate, Swear, WorkingDir))
If Len(CheckInsult) > 4 Then
  GetResponse = GetResponse & CheckInsult & VbCrLf
  AvoidBeingFlag = True
  DebugInfo = DebugInfo & "The user has insulted Hal " _
    "and Hal has responded to it: " & CheckInsult & VbCrLf
End If

Once the code has been located, there are three general ways to prevent Hal from scolding a swearing user with each method being a slightly better than the previous:

Remove the function call - The easiest method is to simply remove the call to the function that is producing the undesirable results - as well as the code that interprets the results of that function call. You can also simply comment the code out by placing apostrophes at the beginning of each line that you do not wish to execute. While being the easiest, this is the least desirable means of accomplishing the goal as the Insult function also performs other duties besides scolding that are being lost with its removal (or commenting out).
Remove the problematic part of the function - This is a little more work, but preserves much of the functionality that shouldn't be affected by removing the scolding. In the case of the Insult function, you would simply read through the code looking for where the function determines if scolding is necessary. Doing so would result in locating the following code snippet, which could be removed or commented out: (some of the code has been truncated for formatting purposes)
If Naughty = True Then
  Swear = Swear + 1
  If Swear = 1 Then Insult = "Please don't swear.  " & VbCrLf
  If Swear = 2 Then Insult = "Damn it, I don't ...
  If Swear = 3 Then Insult = "You're ticking me off, ...
  If Swear > 3 And Swear < 16 Then Insult = GenerateInsult & VbCrLf
  If Swear = 16 Then Insult = Insult + "I'm tired of your swearing...
  If Swear > 16 Then Insult = Insult + "..
End If

Modify the function or how its return value is interpreted - While the previous method accomplished the job, it's not always wise to change generic functions that can be called from other client code. A much better method would be to change how the function's return values are interpreted. Finally, here's a better way of handling the scolding issue:
'RESPOND: CALL INSULT HATE SWEAR FUNCTION WITH HIGHER
'TOLERANCE ONLY IF YOU'RE OR YOU ARE IS DETECTED.
'This function will check for insults and swearing
'and respond to them. It is built into this script,
'so you can edit it.
If InStr(1, OriginalSentence, "YOU'RE ", 1) > 0 _
Or InStr(1, OriginalSentence, "YOU ARE ", 1) > 0 Then
  CheckInsult = Trim(Insult(UserSentence, Insults,
                            Hate, Swear, WorkingDir))
  If Len(CheckInsult) > 4 Then
    GetResponse = GetResponse & CheckInsult & vbCrLf
    AvoidBeingFlag = True
    DebugInfo = DebugInfo & "The user has insulted Hal and "_
      "Hal has responded to it: " & CheckInsult & vbCrLf
  End If
End If

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Insult
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:00:13 am »
aiko,
Thank you for the effort, this looks like good stuff![8D]

*Don't cry Dude- It's OK.*
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:01:17 am by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

aiko

• View Profile
Insult
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 11:06:48 pm »
Thanks but I just did a copy & paste. The thanks goes to whoever wrote the brain help file. That thing is great...more, more, more. [;)]