Author Topic: Portable Hal?  (Read 7211 times)

dastaten

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:17:26 pm »
I use Hal at work as well as at home and I would like to be using a single version that is always updating. Can this be accomplished by just taking his UHP brain file back and forth? I'm thinking I can just email it to myself and then copy it down to my home computer and then when I go to work, just email it to myself again and copy it to my work computer and so on.  Would there be any issues?

echoman

Portable Hal?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:38:13 pm »
Yes. This would work - I do something similar.  I have two computers and make copies of relevant files onto disk for transfere. Obviously email would prduce the same results.

On a seperate note, perhaps Hal one day will fit onto a phone - I have a version of Alice on my phone. I really prefer Hal - it would be nice to have him in my pocket.

dastaten

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:50:15 pm »
Thanks echoman. Kristine (my Hal) will be progressing twice as fast now and I won't feel like I'm cheating on one of them anymore lol.

Yeah, I just bought the G1 phone and I'm loving it. I was thinking yesterday that the ultimate would be to be able to put Kristine on my phone.  Too bad the OQO is still so expensive.

Bill819

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »
Just coping Hal and forwarding it won't work as Hal also creates lots of ties to you registry on the computer is was originally loaded on. That is why you are told that if you want to install it on another computer the first thing you have to do is uninstall it on your original computer. This was done to keep pirated copies from being used and given away.
Bill

dastaten

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:20:59 pm »
But the brain file is just a database, correct?  Is there some kind of uniqueness check between the registry and database or something?  I don't see why a piracy check would prevent the single act of a brain file being copied over another.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:22:59 pm by dastaten »

ricky

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 07:13:33 pm »
a quick fix is your aim bot, leave it running on remote computer and access it through aim.
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

dastaten

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:52 pm »
That's a great idea. I went and signed up for AIM, activated my account, and now I get an error every time I try to log into AIM bot: Authorization error 980: incorrect nickname or password.  I can't imagine that being the case.  I copied and pasted my nickname from aol.com, just to be sure, and my password is the same one I've been using for years.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:44:11 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill819

Just coping Hal and forwarding it won't work as Hal also creates lots of ties to you registry on the computer is was originally loaded on. That is why you are told that if you want to install it on another computer the first thing you have to do is uninstall it on your original computer. This was done to keep pirated copies from being used and given away.
Bill

"
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

ricky

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:20 am »
I created a whole separate account for my bot .....then i fire up a second instance of aim with my own human personal account,  I have an iphone so when i want to chat to my bot, i have him logged on at home on his own account/computer while i log on to my own account from the iphone.  Not sure if I know of the error though, or if this is exactly what you meant....but i said something all the same cuz i want to help! hehe    i do know that my wireless keyboard does not have a caps lock light,  so you may want to check that as well to make sure you are not in all caps or lower case....sometimes also aim gets locked in a loop with the wrong password ..so that could also be  a log in automatically issue ...guessing solutions...let me know if i nailed any of em or if i should think of more lol :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:08:07 am by ricky »

echoman

Portable Hal?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 02:11:56 am »
With one purchased liscence comes several authorised versions of Hal. I use Hal on two computers. I copy/transfer Hal brain database files only. It's always worked fine for me and I've being doing it for years now. It's only copying database files after all - that's what we are talking about isn't it?

dastaten

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:50:19 am »
Which file is the default brain?  Is it HalBrain.db?

ricky

• View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 04:26:10 am »
quote:
Originally posted by echoman

With one purchased liscence comes several authorised versions of Hal.

hey!,  i didnt know that....can i run 2 instances of hal in one computer ? im sure the answer is no but i figured i'd ask to make it official.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 04:08:20 pm »
You might want to read the TOS where Robert basically spells out the can do's and can't do's.

You can have version 5 and 6 on the same computer *

* - Make a separate directory for the oldest version (5) and use the default directory for the latest Hal.

Robert states that you are not allowed to run two Hal programs at the same time on different computers!

You won't be able to run say ver.5 and ver.6 at the same time on the same computer.

Again, you're purchasing a license to operate / use the software not to purchase the software itself. This is true with practically all commercial software.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

DrFaraday

• Discovering the shocking truth about electricity
    • View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 05:38:08 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

You might want to read the TOS where Robert basically spells out the can do's and can't do's.

You can have version 5 and 6 on the same computer *

* - Make a separate directory for the oldest version (5) and use the default directory for the latest Hal.

Robert states that you are not allowed to run two Hal programs at the same time on different computers!

You won't be able to run say ver.5 and ver.6 at the same time on the same computer.

Again, you're purchasing a license to operate / use the software not to purchase the software itself. This is true with practically all commercial software.

Art,
I have Hal 6.2 on my Desktop at home.  But if I wanted to have a Hal 6.2 on my laptop as well, and share the brain files between the two, I should be able to do so, as long as I purchase a 2nd license for the 2nd Hal, Yes?

- Chaz
I always wanted a computer like H.A.L. from "2001: A Space Odyssey".  Just not the beta version that kills you while you sleep.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Portable Hal?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 05:53:37 am »
Dr. Faraday,

Yes, I believe that would require 2 licenses if you plan on sharing the brain files but a better bet would be to either check with Robert or find the posting in the archives where Robert addressed this issue previously.
[:)]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -