dupa

Author Topic: v5.0 is nice, but Wordnet responses are strange.  (Read 4471 times)

vonsmith

• View Profile
v5.0 is nice, but Wordnet responses are strange.
« on: October 31, 2003, 10:57:11 am »
I like v5.0 a lot, but the responses below from the Wordnet function can be pretty weird.

Examples:
==============
Isn't a peter an apostle? Kind of like a Matthew!

Engine! That reminds me, I know of its camshaft. Do you want it?

Please consider how a June utilizes its midsummer.

I know a watt! I think its milliwatt is great!

A make is similar to a sort. Rather like an antitype.

I have never been closely involved with a feather, but I think feather's melanin may be around here somewhere!
==============

Sometimes I think Hal has been smoking some wacko weed or something. Maybe some rescripting is in order? Any volunteers/ideas/comments?

Thanks,

= vonsmith =

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 01:08:20 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

I like v5.0 a lot, but the responses below from the Wordnet function can be pretty weird.

Examples:
==============
Isn't a peter an apostle? Kind of like a Matthew!

Engine! That reminds me, I know of its camshaft. Do you want it?

Please consider how a June utilizes its midsummer.

I know a watt! I think its milliwatt is great!
I am not sure if I understood your questions either, so you might have gotten the same type of answers from me. Vagueness is not one of Hal's strong points. Dont' mean to sound offensive.
Bill

I have never been closely involved with a feather, but I think feather's melanin may be around here somewhere!
==============

Sometimes I think Hal has been smoking some wacko weed or something. Maybe some rescripting is in order? Any volunteers/ideas/comments?

Thanks,

= vonsmith =

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 03:09:08 pm »
Bill819,
I didn't post my original inputs to Hal. I just saved the weird responses. I didn't have logging on at the time. To the best of my recollection the questions went something like this...

==========================
User: Peter Pan lives in Neverland.
Hal: Isn't a peter an apostle? Kind of like a Matthew!

User: I own a steam engine.
Hal: Engine! That reminds me, I know of its camshaft. Do you want it?

User: Our museum has a steam show in June and October.
Hal: Please consider how a June utilizes its midsummer.

User: Watt is credited with the first successful steam engine design.
Hal: I know a watt! I think its milliwatt is great!

User: A boiler is used to make steam.
Hal: A make is similar to a sort. Rather like an antitype.

User: Birds of a feather flock together.
Hal: I have never been closely involved with a feather, but I think feather's melanin may be around here somewhere!
==========================

Hopefully I'll have some time to work on the Wordnet driven responses. I think Wordnet has a lot of potential to help Hal respond on topic and to create related topics. Robert M. has given us the tools and resources to go explore this new avenue. I need to learn more about Wordnet to make worthwhile use of it. Time to crank up the old brain editor.

= vonsmith =

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 05:32:51 pm »
Just goes to show you that one sided conversations can lead to confusion. Now your post makes sense.
Bill

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 03:31:38 am »
When I first heard about this Word Net thing, I assumed if Hal couldn't find any responses to the subject, then 'one of the sisters' would be substituted then re-searched again for a reply… Obviously I was wrong… but I still wonder if the idea would work…

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 01:47:18 pm »
Larry,
Interesting thought. The usefulness of Wordnet may lie in broadening the search for related responses by modifying the search string, not in just generating a response that uses some related words out of context. I was thinking similarly about using Wordnet to indicate which user topic brn's should be searched for a response. Modifying the search string as you imply and searching related user topic brn files may lead to improved responses. Thanks for sharing the concept.

= vonsmith =

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 03:09:47 pm »
Let me know if you do anything with the idea... I've got too many  things going on, I don't have time like I used to, to play with different ideals...