dupa

Author Topic: help with programming a diffrent program  (Read 2448 times)

dabutom

• View Profile
help with programming a diffrent program
« on: October 21, 2002, 08:58:17 pm »
Hey, I am doing a science fair project on how computers can simulate artificial intelligence and I was hoping for someone who is a c++ programmer that would know or understand how you could make a similar, alot simpler then HAL program without the special features just plain talking text.....
E-MAIL me @

dabu_tom@hotmail.com

p.s. thx for the help if I can get any.......

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
help with programming a diffrent program
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 01:17:35 pm »
Hello,

A science fair project on Artificial Intelligence sounds great!  It sounds like you're a C++ programmer.  If you search the web on "natural language" or "chatterbot" or "artificial intelligence" or "Turing Test" you should be able to come up with a lot of simple chatterbots, some of which might have source code.  Especially look for the early versions of "Eliza the Psychiatrist"! This program did a LOT with very, very small amounts of code!

If you're determined to work in C++ and can't find anything in that language, you could also study the VBS script files for UltraHal (they have the .uhp file extensions, with names like "hal4.uhp").  I would think this would give you a model for ideas.  The Visual Basic Scripting files control all of Hal's other activities, and of course they're "open," human-readable with any text editor such as WordPad or Word.

For something that would be interactive with the judges and the public, why not set up your own version of the "Turing Test"?  In addition to your report and your simple demo, you could set up two or more chatterbots, and have the public and the judges interact with them, and "score" them on which one was more entertaining and/or human!  You could also report on the official Turing Test sponsored by Loebner, and the $100,000 prize that no one has won yet!

Good luck on your project!

Sincerely,

Don

Don Ferguson
traininginc@cortrapar.com
www.cortrapar.com
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274