dupa

Author Topic: HAL should have a command LEARN !  (Read 3126 times)

dihelson

• View Profile
HAL should have a command LEARN !
« on: November 02, 2004, 12:39:21 am »
I was just thinking about this.
I talk with Ultra HAL, but it doesn't learn. I open the brain editor and see what it has learnt from my conversations.
few things.
It would be nice putting a command like the word LEARN before teaching, in order to guarantee that that statement or knowledge was really learnt.

For instance, we could use:

LEARN God created the universe
LEARN My real name is Dihelson Mendonca
LEARN planets orbits the sun
LEARN Beethoven is a musical genius

Some other disapointment is when we are trying to talk about some matter, say, music and then HAL comes with weird sentences talking about making clothes for instance.

It should have a way to maintain HAL concentrated on the subject, like humans do.

When we talk to other people about some matter, we discuss that matter until e change to other matters. We don't talk about astronomy, and then someone tell you that a Pig can't fly!!! this has nothing to do with astronomy!

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 02:29:36 am »
It just takes time, effort, and patience. Not a single word you say to Hal is lost. But as someone said elsewhere, here, it's like having a three year old with a collegiate vocabulary. Robert Medeksza has merely provided you with a good base on which to begin your Hal's education. You can train your Hal to maintain focus, to stay on topic, to specialize in a certain body of knowledge, etc. It takes some time. There are various scripts available in this forum to help you tweak one Hal function or another. But time, effort, and patience are the keys. The results are often qute impressive, but never predictable. There are a lot of very good bots which will simply regurgitate what you feed in to them. Hal isn't one of them. Hal is a bot which will surprise you constantly.

dihelson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 12:35:17 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by KnyteTrypper

It just takes time, effort, and patience. Not a single word you say to Hal is lost.

Hello, KnyteTrypper,

Thank you for answering to me.
Indeed, I found the "The XTF (eXtended Topic Focus) brain " and it makes a big difference on focusing the topic. I don't know if I am right, but I noticed that with it, HAL is learning fast.

I read some posts, and saw some people saying that HAL learns more with expressions containing IS. Something like what I have already said: Our knowleadge is a series of statements! "THE SUN IS A STAR" etc... But I don't know why, many times even these IS statements doesn't become part of HAL knowledge base.

I'd like to know what file should I verify in order to see the new learnt content.
I'm searching on Brain Editor, SHARED LEARN DATABASE

Knowledge on this Shared learn Database is not always used. It would be interesting if we could raise some kind of PRIORITY to it.

About scripts:
A a novice, I don't know about scripts. Can you show me some links in order that I can test some, and learn more?
I've searched on Zabaware site, but couldn't find them. Is there some kind of collection of these scripts ?
Is it common to other people share their HAL's brains? some kind of depot ?

Thank you so much!

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 03:47:52 pm »
I'm not a VB programmer either, so my knowledge of Hal's inner workings is rather limited. But especially when using the XTF brain, you can just open your Hal default brain folder (not in the brain editor), and see the the XTF files Hal writes to his own brain multiplying as you talk with him. By the way, be sure you're using the v1.2 XTF brain, and have made the simple modifications advised by vonsmith. There's a very recent post detailing this.
As far as finding the files, the future Hal repository is sitting parked in the middle of the forum right now, and as soon as Robert gets it fixed so we can actually upload to it, I assume that others will join with me in collecting all the various scripts sprinkled throughout the forum and and assembling them there. But at the moment, using the file extensions .brn and .uhp in the forum search program will turn up most of them for you. You might also check out Jerry's http://www.ultrahalforum.com/Forum/phpBB2/index.php as another good source for enhancement scripts.