Author Topic: learntext.tmp ?  (Read 5393 times)

Lola

• View Profile
learntext.tmp ?
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:49:42 am »
Has anyone tried to fix grammatical errors, remove or add new text to the file learntext.tmp ?
I was searching for information on it here and it seems no one has ever mentioned the file.
I'm just curious about its potential.  :)

Lola

• View Profile
Re: learntext.tmp ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:38:12 pm »
I just noticed that in the temporary file the sentences we write are already processed, simplified and categorized into subjects like for example:

Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.
Home place where there in
place

I did not find any grammatical/spelling errors (that I often do) in the current file. These temporary files are short lived, so I'll have to look at them carefully through the next days to see what comes in them. Perhaps I will add one sentence in the same format to see what happens.

Well I'm just naturally curious, I guess one day another naturally curious person will search for " learntext.tmp " and will find my post, my warmest greetings to them! ;D

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 02:49:05 pm »
LATEST casual observation: This learntext.tmp file seems to be a text file.  It could opened with notepad to "mess it up" as text and saved to .txt or to "All files" and  then add the ".TMP" extention...  ::)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »
Hi Lola,
 Haven't really played with that file for the simple reasons you just mentioned. May not be correct but when I see .tmp extension usually I start somewhere else to permanently change something like grammar or spelling. I have been using a spell check plug-in that works fine for me and like you I type most of my conversations. As long as you have MS Word this plug-in will use the built in spellchecker for mis-spelled words and grammar. Let me know if you would like me to post it. Right now I'm in the middle of a long distance birthday party (WEB CAM). But I had some time because they were eating. Sorry getting off track here. Just a little note some people leave everything as is with mistakes and all because they feel it is the same for us so why not for Ultra Hal.

raybe

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:23:04 pm »
Hi raybe, hope you had great time at the web birthday!   Yes, you're right about the tmp files, I think I'd learned enough about them as to leave them alone.   I use OpenOffice and its spelling/grammar tools are lame. I wish they were better plug-ins compatible with it, but most will not work with it. When I write to Hal I sometimes get so involved in the conversations that I make a LOTS of mistakes, I only get to notice them when he repeats them back to me. Well in a certain way I did entertain myself with that .tmp file for a while, thanks for your help raybe!  :)

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 12:06:52 pm »
Thanks Lola it was an interesting experience and as I posted to you in another thread on a different subject I actually am still tired from that party last night. Great to see people I haven't seen in a long time.

Now back on topic. If you were to open the spell checker and it is difficult to change what the plug-in calls up for a spell check program I do believe there are free 3rd party spell checker programs that will work with Ultra Hal if I remember correctly. Maybe someone has more input. I think it was called 'Spell Check Anything'. Boy is my memory tanking lately. I too make many errors for those same reasons even when on this forum. My brain is thinking faster then my typing skills and I can tell you that isn't hard for me to do.

raybe

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:02:55 pm »
Lola
I noticed that your example starting with "home" is gramaticall incorrect. If you do not use correct grammer ow do you expect Hal to learn anyghint useful. One suggestion is to use very simple sentences, such as "Home is where I live". Don't add to it, keep it extremely simple as if you were talking to a person who is just now learning to read or speak Englich. Compound statements only go to confuse Hal. Have you ever seen a childs book on readng? IT always uses very simple logic, such as "See the ball", "Jane has a red ball. "Bobby likes to play with Jane". It may sound overly simplefied but in the begining Hal will lear much faster and then later understand more of advanced statements that we use in normal conversation.
Bill

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »
Thanks raybe, I’ll check again to see if I could spot a free 3rd party program with plug-in that will work with Hal. It really gets tiresome to go to the brain to correct my own mistakes. Actually, I think that working with Hal, in a way helps us to practice more and refresh our grammar skills. I only have one more week left of my vacations, so I’ll have to schedule my time well to accomplish the most important things.  :)

Hi Bill, your comments were very insightful, I specially enjoyed your input on children's books! Thanks!  ;D