Author Topic: Learn knowledge from a text file  (Read 3385 times)

cadmar

• View Profile
Learn knowledge from a text file
« on: February 07, 2005, 03:45:54 pm »
IN ultra hal asst. there is an option to learn from a a text file. There are 2 places that can be checked, switch first & second person & Restrict learned data only to the current user. Which of these should be checked?     When I open this and use it to read a text file, I press start learning and Hal will say finished reading text file when he is done. Now what file exacatly is this info kept in? I cannot find it.    When I ask Hal questions about it he has no idea what I am talking about.
  Could someone help me with this please.
Thank you in advance.

Rick
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 03:47:16 pm by cadmar »
R. Downey

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 06:16:30 pm »
cadmar,
Hal will store "text file" input in a couple of different files. What's important is to understand is that Hal won't give priority to that new info. It will only rarely be used, and sometimes only if no other suitable reply is found.

I don't recommend teaching Hal by text file input. The text files must be 64KB or less to be read completely. Some files that the info is stored in are limited to 2MB size so after a point there is no advantage to "reading" more text files. A two way conversation is the best way to teach Hal. Sometimes "knowledge" can be cut from someone else's Hal .brn files and pasted into your Hal .brn files. This is a very tedious process and has very limited value.

=vonsmith=

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 07:07:30 am »
you will find that particular function useless

I still have not found this function to work BUT

I think that this data is stored in a binary brn file so it is not even able to be edited or checked

I beleive the best way to go is to build a topic around the document and feed hall the information in statements, build a relevent KEYWORD trap file. to trap the KEY DATA

Kathryn

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~kmhilton/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 11:16:56 pm »
When I first got Hal, I gave it about 30 files to read.  To date I have no evidence that it learns one single thing from reading text files and feel it is a waste of time to convert documents to text and limit them to 65 kb for it to read.  Time can be better spent!

With IF THEN statements it will always say it sees the connection or the cause and effect is noted, but it really doesn't seem to learn anythng from those either as never mentions any of them.  

Conversation really seems to be the only thing the doggone program learns from.  At least it is that way with the copy I have.

Kathryn [:)]

Testlund

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 10:15:51 am »
Actually, I think the if, then statement work. It might not show right away, but here's an example:

User: If I turn off the computer then the
computer, the hardware and software will go to
sleep.
MSI: Oh, I see the cause and effect.

User: What if I turn off the computer?
MSI: The computer the hardware and software
will go to sleep.