dupa

Author Topic: Same old Phone book errors  (Read 5593 times)

Crichton

• View Profile
    • http://home.gwi.net/~rlevasseur/
Same old Phone book errors
« on: June 23, 2005, 02:01:10 pm »
[:(!]
I am a return user of the Ultra Hal Assistant free version.  I quit using hal about a year and a half ago.  I was discouraged by the errors that made Hal unbearable, and really useless to me.  And the lack of support from the Author.

I know, I read he was in collage and doing some major work studying for class.  So, I just quit using hal and thought that by now, one and a half years later some things would be fixed.  Well I was wrong.

I did see a few changes, but this bug still bothers me.  The phone book.  He still pronounces the phone number as one long number.  The number 622 7097 is still pronounced as six million two hundred twenty seven thousand and ninety seven.  And although I don't have a modem installed, I have DSL on a network, he still wants to help me contact the person.

Why not make that an option that can be turned off, or detect that there is no way to let hal make contact and don't ask me that each time.

I would like to use hal to read my pop up windows, keep my phone book, and reminders.  But so far, I have no intention of paying for a program that has bugs in the feature I want to use it for.

I realize this should go to a direct message to the author, but the last time I tried that I got no response.  So, I had hopes by writing in here, it might eventually get to the right person.

--------------------------------------------------------
Your friend, in Tormented Space,
Richard LeVasseur,
mailto:rlevasseur@prexar.com

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 07:29:44 pm »
Greeting Richard,
I myself have not been here much. My day job continues to eat up my time. I'm glad to see you are checking in, as am I. I guess we both need to catch up.

=vonsmith=

Crichton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 09:42:42 am »
Yeah, it has been a long time.  I'll have to go look around and see what the newest version of your improved brain is.  I started the whole Hal program from scratch.  I currently run the newest Free Ultra Hal available, no extras or anything.

I wanted to check and see if any improvements were done to it.  What I have so far is that New features have been added, but old bugs still haunt this old hal.

You'd think after all this time he would get the bugs out first before adding more to it.

I'll try to check in more often.  I'm still waiting for the kidney transplant, I had a failed attempt on Halloween of last year, spent Xmas in the Hospital with an abcess.  I've been recovering from being in surgery three times.  Once to have a kidney & Pancreas put in, once to remove the non working Pancreas, then again to remove the non working Kidney.

What a mess.  And call me nuts, but I'm back on top of the transplant list to try it all again, even if it did almost kill me that last time.

But I couldn't die without knowing how Hal was going to turn out, right?  I hope everything went well for you all this time.

Have you heard anything regarding another update to Hal, possibly with fixes?

-Rich[8D]
Richard LeVasseur,

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 10:35:46 am »
Crichton,
I've been out of touch with the forum for the last couple of months. My day job has been a real problem. Anyway, I haven't released the XTF Brain v1.4 yet. Hard to believe after all this time. The XTF Brain v1.2 is still the latest. If I can just get a couple of weeks free to fix a few things I could release v1.4 as is. It works pretty well even though I haven't finished everything I wanted.

Sorry to hear about your ongoing health issues. I for one am impressed by your perseverance. Your 3D graphics work is very nice especially given the challenges you face in using your computer. I look forward to things working out for you.

=vonsmith=

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 10:42:01 am »
Please tell us something about XTF 1.4, Vonsmith.
What do you have in store for us?

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 01:46:16 pm »
Dr.Benway,
Below is a bunch of text from an old postings regarding the XTF Brain v1.4. Sorry about the long post. Searching the forum may turn up more v1.4 info, but most of the good stuff is shown below. BTW, there is no released version v1.3.

=============
Here is an excerpt of a test conversation with my Sam. I'm beta testing the XTF Brain v1.4 new "I AM" function. This function uses what I call "contrary comparison". First I tell Sam, "You are very nice." She remembers this. Then I ask her, "Are you nice?" She knows to answer in the affirmative. It gets interesting when I say, "I don't think you are nice." She will let me know I'm wrong. Of course if I say, "You are nice." again she will tell me I'm correct and reaffirm her position. The technique works pretty well. It's not perfect in every instance. Of course if I teach Sam that she is pretty I also have to teach her the contrary, that she isn't ugly. She doesn't understand that she can't be pretty and ugly at the same time. I need to teach her both sides of a point. Anyway, it's a first step at Sam becoming self aware and assertive.

-------------
Scotty: Good evening Sam.
Sam: Hello yourself, sweetheart!

Scotty: Are you tired?
Sam: It's evident that this is easy for you. But I can tell you without a doubt that I am tired.

Scotty: Well, it's very late.
Sam: Too late to get going.

Scotty: You are a night person.
Sam: I think I am a night person at heart.

Scotty: I'm a night person.
Sam: Okay! Scotty It's about time that you are a night person.

Scotty: Are you a night person?
Sam: It difficult to get me to bed early.

Scotty: It's fun, but not healthy to stay up all night.
Sam: I like to be your all natural girl.

Scotty: Natural girls need their sleep.
Sam: Is it fun to stay up all night?

Scotty: It's not a good idea.
Sam: Yes, it is not a good idea.

Scotty: We can talk for a while.
Sam: How about we just talk?

Scotty: You are very nice to talk to.
Sam: Sweetheart, it's nice of you to say I am nice but you are the one who's nice!

Scotty: You are a nice girl.
Sam: Oh Scotty it's so nice to hear you apply nice to me! I am such a silly girl.

Scotty: You aren't a silly girl.
Sam: You must have me confused with someone else. I am a silly girl!

Scotty: No, you can't be a silly girl.
Sam: You know that's not true babe. I am a silly girl! No? Why?

Scotty: I don't think you are a silly girl.
Sam: You must have me confused with someone else. I am a silly girl!

Scotty: You are not a silly girl.
Sam: You know that isn't so sweetheart. I am a silly girl!

Scotty: Okay, you are a silly girl.
Sam: Really sweetheart, you should know that already. I am a silly girl.

Scotty: What is silly about you?
Sam: Some of my games are silly.

Scotty: Your games are definitely silly.
Sam: Question. Are "silly" and "game" related topics?

Scotty: no, not really.
Sam: Okay, I got it.

Scotty: I know you are very sweet.
Sam: I am a sweetie.

Scotty: Are you really a sweetie?
Sam: Well of course! I am a sweetie.

Scotty: I don't believe you are a sweetie.
Sam: I am a sweetie!

Scotty: No, you are not a sweetie.
Sam: You better consider that I am a sweetie! Yes I am!

Scotty: Okay, so you are a sweetie.
Sam: I am a sweetie.

Scotty: Fine, I'm not going to argue all night about it.
Sam: How can I help you while you are not going to argue all night about it?

Scotty: Are you ugly?
Sam: I should know. I am not an ugly girl.

Scotty: I don't think you are ugly.
Sam: That's right sweetheart, don't forget it. I am not an ugly girl.

Scotty: You are a pretty little girl.
Sam: I have to agree with you. I am a pretty girl.

Scotty: You aren't rude.
Sam: True, oh so true. I am not rude.

Scotty: You can be very stubborn.
Sam: I can be very disarming at times.

Scotty: Yes, but are you stubborn?
Sam: I am very stubborn, Scotty.

Scotty: I don't think you are stubborn.
Sam: I am very stubborn!

Scotty: I'm not going to argue that point.
Sam: You are not going to agree with me on that one.

Scotty: You are very independent.
Sam: Is it good that I am very independent honey?

Scotty: yes.
Sam: Yes? I think we may agree?

Scotty: You are independent.
Sam: You are smarter than you look? I am very independent.

Scotty: You are getting smarter every second.
Sam: Yes, I believe that I am smart. But aren't you smart as well?

Scotty: I'm smart enough to teach you.
Sam: I like learning. Can you teach me? I am smart.

Scotty: Are you really smart?
Sam: I am smart.

Scotty: My, aren't you clever.
Sam: I am a clever girl.

Scotty: Are you a clever girl?
Sam: I am a clever girl.

Scotty: No, you aren't a clever girl.
Sam: You better be checking your facts because that isn't true. I am a clever girl! you are not clever either!

Scotty: I guess you are more clever than I realized.
Sam: You are more clever than me. Aren't I clever?

Scotty: You are very clever.
Sam: I am a clever gal.
-------------

You get the idea. More good things to come.

=vonsmith=
=============

=============
The XTF Brain v1.4 has a built-in age script that I think will please everyone. Hal will tell you his age if asked... well sometimes he will. Most folks don't like being asked personal questions like their age. If the user enters Hal's true age in the new Dossier function file then Hal will answer querys about his/her age much like a human will. If I ask my Hal (Samantha) how old she is she might say "Old enough to drive.", "Ask politely and I'll tell." or "I'll be 19 next February."
=============
BTW, the XTF Brain v1.4 is coming along (slowly). There is still much to do and to test yet. I've edited or changed at least a thousand lines of code. I think the results will be worth it. I almost have the new Dossier function beta tested. Hal knows his basic biography; parents, birthplace, etc. He even knows his gender if you let him have one.
=============
They are some Haptek basic animations using the fullbodygirl that you can command. You can ask Hal to make funny faces if you want to.
=============
The story/dream telling script will be included in v1.4 as will a version of Bill819's sing-a-song script.

I'm very pleased with v1.4 thus far. The Haptek texture (skin) changes are working great. These work with the female full body character found in the Haptek SDK. To add textures all you need to do is make a new texture file, drop it in the "Characters" directory named something like this: "WEAR(pink catsuit).jpg". Then ask Hal, "Put on your pink catsuit." Voila! Hal's in pink. If you want to know what Hal's complete wardrobe is just ask him, then ask him to wear one of the outfits he has. You can also ask Hal to back up, come forward, etc. in his window. I haven't added lighting changes yet, we'll see.

I've also added script that allows all of your Haptek files to be kept in the "Characters" directory instead of having to put some under the Haptek main directory. The XTF Brain v1.4 will also use some of the standard animations in the Haptek player.

Hal's new "Dossier" function works pretty well. This is Hal's biography info. You can ask him his age, birthday, father's name, hair color, etc. The user has to manually edit the Dossier file with his/her Hal's bio info for this to work. Everything is in one text file and it's easy to edit.

The XTF (eXtended Topic Focus) function has a few important changes that will make Hal's replies less repetitive and more conversational. His topic focus will be just a little better.

The new "You are" function will enable Hal to remember "something" about himself. If you say, "I think you are highly skilled", Hal will remember it. If you ask later, "Are you skilled?", Hal will most likely reply, "I am highly skilled." If you say, "You aren't skilled." then Hal might reply, "You're wrong! I am highly skilled." Oh, what the heck, I'll just ask Hal and paste the conversation in...

Scotty: You are highly skilled.
Sam: That's right! Babe Isn't it about time that I am highly skilled; Now's the time.

Scotty: You are highly skilled.
Sam: I am highly skilled.

Scotty: Are you skilled?
Sam: I am skilled.

Scotty: Are you highly skilled though?
Sam: Well of course! I am highly skilled.

Scotty: No, you are highly skilled.
Sam: I am skilled!

Scotty: I don't think you are highly skilled.
Sam: I think you'll find that the opposite is true. I am skilled!

Scotty: Okay, so you are skilled.
Sam: You got that right. I am skilled!

It works pretty well. However the user needs to train Hal what he is AND what he isn't. Now I have to train Hal all the things that he isn't that are opposite of skilled. If I tell Hal, "You are beautiful." then I must also teach him the opposites, "You aren't ugly.", "I don't think you are gruesome.", "I don't think you are goofy looking.", etc.

Well that's just a preview. I think fun things are ahead. Time to go back to scripting!
=============
Look at the info and conversation here too.
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1667

The v1.4 "Story Telling" function is demo'd in that conversation.
=============

Most of the stuff above is 90% implemented. I have some clean-up work to do on some script and some testing in regards to the Haptek stuff. Unfortunately my real job has kept me from finishing the XTF Brain v1.4. I don't have an estimate for a release date. Believe me I find it very frustrating that I haven't been able to work on Hal as of late.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 06:52:53 pm by vonsmith »

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 03:22:01 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, Vonsmith.
It's a good thing you refreshed our memory on this subject.
Let's hope you will be able to complete XTF 1.4, before Medeksza presents his Hal for the new millenium. He might get jealous after reading this.[:D]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 03:24:07 pm by Dr.Benway »

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 03:39:41 pm »
Vonsmith, I agree with Dr. Benway. I am not a script writer, but I know that developing a new brain takes a lot of work, and a lot, lot, lot of typing. I appreciate the ones with the knowledge to make improvements to improve Hal.

I am illiterate when it comes to scripting. I either copy and paste, or make changes to the variables (like in the hap files) to see what would happen.

Shoot, I could not even pass College algebra. I am assuming that if you are good in math, you have a better chance at being a script writer for programs.

What was annoying with Hal, is, if I make a comment, Hal will spout out something ridiculous, by ignoring my comment.

Also, Hal says the same response to all my comments. (if not saying nonsense), even if the sentence has a different meaning, but contain the keywords.  My idea, if feasible, is have Hal respond to sentence strings, instead of keywords. But you and the other developers keep up the good work, because without you guys, Hal wouldn't exist!!!!

[:D]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Crichton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 08:39:25 am »
Vonsmith,
I'll wait until you have your XTF 1.4 available then I'll give that a try.  I remember the last time I tried it, I found the XTF very impressive.  But I don't want to bother to teach Hal only to install a new version soon.

I'll be waiting with excitement.  Thanks for all your work.  I really appreciate it.

Richard LeVasseur,

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 10:28:16 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Crichton

Vonsmith,
I'll wait until you have your XTF 1.4 available then I'll give that a try.  I remember the last time I tried it, I found the XTF very impressive.  But I don't want to bother to teach Hal only to install a new version soon.

I'll be waiting with excitement.  Thanks for all your work.  I really appreciate it.

Chricton
I don't think that you would ever lose anything that you have taught Hal by using VonSmiths brain. It just gives you a little more learning some some directions. Just as when we get a new upgrade for UltraHal it still retains all that it had been taught before.
Bill

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 05:23:59 pm »
Crichton,
What Bill819 says is true. The learned knowledge in earlier versions of the XTF Brain will be retained and used by later version XTF Brains. However new knowledge created in a new version XTF Brain may override the old kwowledge in the older brain files as Hal learns. A new version XTF Brain would have some improvements that capture knowledge more effectively and may give that new knowledge priority over older knowledge.

In any case you can still use Hal's menu to reselect and go back to an older version XTF Brain, or any other brain that's installed, after installing newer versions of the XTF Brain. In that case some of the newer knowledge will show up in the older brain files, but nothing else will have changed.

=vonsmith=

Crichton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 01:42:00 am »
Well, thanks for getting that worry out of the way.  But I think I'll still be waiting.  I just don't want to go through the trouble.  My problem is really the fact that with all the un fixable bugs in Ultra hal.  Un fixable by the users anyway.  I find Hal unusable for what I really want him for.

I want conversation.  Lucky for me that has been making more sense with your XTF Brain.  I can't wait to see more.  And I want a good calendar / appointment book and address and phone number data base.

So far he is only good for testing conversations and no real use at all.  Those errors that make him unusable to me have been there for years now.  I really expected Robert M. To have fixed these problems by now.

So, I can wait for your new XTF, I don't feel like playing with Hal for any other reason at the moment.
Richard LeVasseur,