Author Topic: How long would it take?  (Read 7991 times)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
How long would it take?
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:24:31 am »
How long would it take Hal to look through a 2 or 10 gig database (brain)?
e.g. how long would Hal take to respond?

How about a 2 or 10 gig text file? slower?

any ideas folks?

thanks for the help.
[:)]hey everyone, check out snowman's vision program!

-the dude

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
How long would it take?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:59:21 am »
if you keep feeding Gretta those large concept files of yours I'm sure you'll soon find out.

I have a 3 gig duo core processor.... therefore It wouldn't take as much time as most...

I'll venture a guess... a very very very long time....

« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:04:43 am by snowman »
Live long and prosper or die trying.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:59:12 am »
Architecture needs to be looked at.

The architecture of the number of processes that a Hal goes through to "Read"

A DUAL or DUO processor does not let a program run faster than a single core.  It will 'load balance' an run AV and other or many processes at a given time. You are also limited to the medium in which it is stored like RAM or HDD.

Your 3gig processor if an AMD is only compared to Intel speed , so if you have an AMD you have 2 cores running at about 1.5 gigs a piece equaling to a 3gig processor. this is decieving, understand that multiple cores will be more effective at running multiple processes but given a single task a 1.5gig will do a single task as fast as a 3gig processor

The same with a quad core, it runs multiple tasks far better than a single core but given a single task it is no faster than a core that is 1/4 th as fast, like startup ,, when starting 2 computers having the same data transfer rate from the HDD, a single core at 2.7 will out preform a quad at 2.4 ghz because the single core is faster, the quad will out preform the single 2.7GHz when running multiple tasks, because it can run more processes as it load balances the processes
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 12:13:22 pm »
I hope it's not too confusing.
AMD adds up the cores speed as compared to INTEL
INTEL states speeds of a individual core.

If I have a INTEL Quad core @ 2.4GHz then when applied to AMD's calculations it would be labeled a 9+ GHz processor.

Speed is a tricky thing and marketing a product has many decieving statements

So to give an answer to JasonDude I would have to know The Architecture of the entire computer and the software doing the reading.

1 more thing, the engineers of the Architecture of a processor are usually in the name of the processor, which varies the way the processors are built, you can have 2 processors rated at the same speed but one design will be faster when benchmarked.

snowman

• View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:36:48 pm »

This is what my contol panels says..
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E8400 @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz

All I know is that the Tech dude said that this is what he used and that he was very happy with it.

Ever since "they" started making the Duos and Quad I have been left in the dark over what is good and what is bad when it comes to processors.

ONE, your the first person that has ever explained to me the difference...thanks man.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:42:24 pm »
Snowman  You have a dual core running 2 cores @1.5 GHz a piece  (approx)

And with all the simultaneous processes running has more stability than a single core @ 1.5  because of load balancing

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:55:23 pm »
OOPS!! you have an Intel core 2 duo
It might have the capacity of a processor = 6.0GHZ
I do believe you have 2 cores running at 3.0GHz a pice (good processor)
IF it were AMD's calculations you would have a 6000+ 'claim' on the processor box
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:12:44 pm by One »

jasondude7116

• View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:11:28 pm »
i was just trying to figure out if i could add a 1 gig data file to my hal brain.

my hal brain is currently 34 meg.

of course when i add a 1 gig file to the brain it will be more like a 1.5 gig brain. (because of the other data like tables...ect.)

it would take a lot of effort to add the info, that's why i was trying to get an idea first.

i don't want to talk to hal and wait 2 minutes for a response.

-thanks for the help[:)]
-the dude
and...ONE....i was just looking for a ballpark figure for let's say...snowman's system. i just want to know if it would take a few extra seconds or if it would take 10 minutes[:(]? when i say look through a brain database, i mean the ultra hal .db file or "brain"
-thanks
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:16:16 pm by jasondude7116 »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 08:55:07 pm »
Factors,,, HDD rpm,,,,cabling IDE or SATA efficiency of Hal.
simple data transfer can be calculated and predictable.
I do not know the efficiency and how many times the info is taken apart and re assembled including table an key creation or loops.

system bus memory frequency are also there.
you must understand it is a very short amount of time with the small but 10 gig is something to recon with

snowman

• View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:24:36 pm »
What about taking a relative time estimate.

Like: You time how long it takes your pc to digest the 34megs and then multiply that number by 30 ?

I have discovered that My Hal times out (stops processing) at around 20 seconds... if that holds true with your database then your pc needs to process 34Megs under .67 seconds in order to process 1 Gig in the allotted time of 20.... but that's assuming the time it takes to process is in a linear progression and not an exponential one.

As the Database grows larger and more data is scoured through I assume it is done (like as ONE pointed out earlier) in a linear ordered fashion. So my above estimate just might be correct. Of course, with only slight variations along an ever-changing pc environment.

Take it away ONE [;)][:D]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:26:17 pm by snowman »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:39:21 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by jasondude7116

i was just trying to figure out if i could add a 1 gig data file to my hal brain.

my hal brain is currently 34 meg.

of course when i add a 1 gig file to the brain it will be more like a 1.5 gig brain. (because of the other data like tables...ect.)

it would take a lot of effort to add the info, that's why i was trying to get an idea first.

i don't want to talk to hal and wait 2 minutes for a response.

-thanks for the help[:)]
-the dude
and...ONE....i was just looking for a ballpark figure for let's say...snowman's system. i just want to know if it would take a few extra seconds or if it would take 10 minutes[:(]? when i say look through a brain database, i mean the ultra hal .db file or "brain"
-thanks

Condition, how is it added?
line by line, sentence by sentence or through the editor?
having a large database would only take as long as to find the correct table then the rest would rely on Hals programming for a response (Less Loops is faster)

Snowman it doesn't have to process 1 gig just the search for the first table and follow the keys in order to reply, (un approved plug-ins are a big factor)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:43:00 pm by One »

snowman

• View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 01:26:48 am »
Ya know.... I should have known that ONE....

I'm thinking (just theorizing) then the only real way for the Dude to know for sure is to do some kind of an experiment with a larger Hal brain... only perhaps not as large... just get a idea of what might occur.

If we knew more about the inward goings of Hal then this would be easier for you 'ONE' to access. Otherwise it is still a best guess scenario.

At least that's what I have to do... Test, test, test

but on How to get or use such a database.... I wonder how big your Hal brain is ONE.... [:)]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 12:48:20 pm »
Snowman,
the "Ultra Hal ASSISTANT" DB was around 30mb last when I cared to look.
My "Hal" so to speak is larger than I can calculate, I do not have access to all Databases and physical info that came from the electronic.
I do not know where everything is as most got shredded but I still have some examples of the past and every day that goes by I have more "past"
I can not tell the inner workings of my Hal as it is very proprietary.

We can not have have that info out there for anybody to decode.

I do not know how to receive the specified DB or file you are referring to.

Regards,
J.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 01:14:41 pm »
NOT comparing Einstein but as an exaple;
What is the total information that came from him including copyrighted material that he has a legal 'interest' attached as he was the original.

What is he worth including inspiration that others used.

What something's size and worth is hard to calculate.

I have had too many scams trying to get at me, so to receive something of importance it would have to come from something besides 'loose Marble on the wall'.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
How long would it take?
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 04:31:50 pm »
thanks for the help guys!

i guess the way to go would be to wait until my brain is around 100 meg....for a better estimate.

i really appreciate the help, and i understand all the variables.