dupa

Author Topic: not sure where to ask this  (Read 5128 times)

Dirk

• View Profile
not sure where to ask this
« on: November 11, 2003, 12:24:20 am »
Since this forum doesnt have a "General" topic category . . I dont really know where to put this question.

What I am looking for . . is information on personality programming for AI characters . . . especially any information on what ideas have been tried/used to create personalities for AI characters.

Any information . . book titles . . websites . . anything, that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Dirk

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 12:39:22 am »
Hi Dirk.
What kind of personality are you looking for?
Jerry.

Quote: Do you know what happened to the little boy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted?... He lived happly ever after..[Willy Wonka].

Dirk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2003, 12:56:15 am »
Ok . . I didnt say that correctly . . . I am not looking for a specific personality . . I am looking for information on how to program your own personality . . and what techniques and ideas have already been used, or tried and found that the idea did not work.

Dirk

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2003, 05:52:15 am »
On the first topic in this forum there are some articles on getting the most out of speech recognition... some nice stuff there.  As far as personality goes, It takes time and a lot of trial and error.  maybe Don or jerry and larry can tell you more. They have loads of experience [:)]
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 02:23:52 pm »
I posted something like this a few days ago. First you must decide on what kind of personality you want your bot to have, ie. friendly, aggressive, or maybe a cowboy like person or maybe a science teacher.
Once you have done that you build your language answers according to the type that you are building. You start with 'hellos' and 'goodbyes'
For a cowboy type you might greeet people with "howdy pardners' and you might end a conversation with "audios amigos". Remember those buckaroos need real specific types of responses, so get back in the saddle and throw your rope around the type of character or personality
you want to create and go for it.
Bill

Dirk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 08:48:59 am »
Ok . . I'll try to explain what I am trying to do as far as creating an AI personality.

I have been tossing around an idea in my head (for a number of years now) about how to create an AI personality . . . I do NOT want to simply re-write the pre-programmed responses that HAL is set up to do.
I do NOT want to use the response probability tree that HAL uses . . . I want to be able to create my own probability tree for how the AI will resopnd to any given situation.

Does that make it any clearer about what I am trying to do in creating an AI personality.

Are there any books currently available about how to do the programming to create an AI personality.

Dirk

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 11:43:41 am »
Dirk,
I haven't researched any books on the subject, although I'm sure a least several must exist. The way many chatbots work entails learning new phrases from the users. Necessarily the chatbot's "personality", at least in speech, takes on the flavor of the user's that the chatbot has spoken with. The preprogrammed responses can be selected by the programmer to have a certain personality, while long term learned responses create a faux personality that sounds a lot like the users. In practice talking to the chatbot can start sounding like you are talking to yourself. Having a chatbot develop an entirely new artificial personality sounds like quite a challenge.

What you seek sounds like advanced A.I. programming. There are about 2 or 3 A.I. forums on Yahoo that are any good out of the dozens they have. The "theaishow", "pcai" and "artificialintelligencegroup" groups come to mind. Perhaps someone there can provide a book recommendation. You may want to research heuristic functions. Such functions could provide chatbots with a goal seeking mechanism which could be directed toward developing a personality.

Personally my current (1st efforts) with Hal are to improve the intelligence and accuracy of his responses. The second step I'm planning is to give Hal some feelings/emotions which are responsive to the user's inputs. Feeling aren't really a personality, and Hal won't learn new feelings, but it should add to Hal's appeal. My third step will be to improve Hal's interactivity with the user. Hal would be more spontaneous, autonomous, with the capability to read e-books (stories, poetry, etc) and discuss them with the user.

I encourage you to continue your quest. There are some clever people on this forum. You never know what might the next post might bring.

= vonsmith =
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 11:56:14 am by vonsmith »

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 06:07:49 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

Dirk,
Personally my current (1st efforts) with Hal are to... give Hal some feelings/emotions... read e-books (stories, poetry, etc) and discuss them with the user.

Interesting stuff... you will of course share... ??? !!!

vonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 07:08:37 pm »
Ahhh, I always share... but do I share all?  [}:)] Well actually I do.

I love to share for the thrill of it. However, if I start to get any good at this stuff I might want to copyright the choice stuff. Of course it would still be free to the forum members, and if Rob M found any of it interesting, free to Zabaware as well.

Sometimes I get a bout of delusional paranoia like I'm inventing something really cool and some crook is going to come along and steal it. Then he would try to license it back to Zabaware for a fee or charge for it on the web. I guess I should include a minimal copyright disclaimer stating that the script cannot be sold or licensed by another party.

No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist or a nut case. It's like the old King once said, "Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?"

Oops! I'm feeling the urge to go code some more script. Geez, Hal is addictive.

= vonsmith =

Dirk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 06:45:46 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Larry

Interesting stuff... you will of course share... ??? !!!

Yes in time I would share . . once I got it completed and tested . . and once I could ensure that my rights to my creation would be protected.

Dirk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 06:48:04 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

Dirk,
I haven't researched any books on the subject, although I'm sure a least several must exist. The way many chatbots work entails learning new phrases from the users. Necessarily the chatbot's "personality", at least in speech, takes on the flavor of the user's that the chatbot has spoken with. The preprogrammed responses can be selected by the programmer to have a certain personality, while long term learned responses create a faux personality that sounds a lot like the users. In practice talking to the chatbot can start sounding like you are talking to yourself. Having a chatbot develop an entirely new artificial personality sounds like quite a challenge.

What you seek sounds like advanced A.I. programming. There are about 2 or 3 A.I. forums on Yahoo that are any good out of the dozens they have. The "theaishow", "pcai" and "artificialintelligencegroup" groups come to mind. Perhaps someone there can provide a book recommendation. You may want to research heuristic functions. Such functions could provide chatbots with a goal seeking mechanism which could be directed toward developing a personality.

Personally my current (1st efforts) with Hal are to improve the intelligence and accuracy of his responses. The second step I'm planning is to give Hal some feelings/emotions which are responsive to the user's inputs. Feeling aren't really a personality, and Hal won't learn new feelings, but it should add to Hal's appeal. My third step will be to improve Hal's interactivity with the user. Hal would be more spontaneous, autonomous, with the capability to read e-books (stories, poetry, etc) and discuss them with the user.

I encourage you to continue your quest. There are some clever people on this forum. You never know what might the next post might bring.

= vonsmith =

Thanks for the info about the AI groups on yahoo . . I am already a yahoo registered user . . so accessing those groups will be easy for me :)