Author Topic: Microphone setting and Voice training not working  (Read 9732 times)

deckercr

• View Profile
Microphone setting and Voice training not working
« on: November 05, 2009, 10:54:37 pm »
Any help would be appreciated.  I tried Ultra Hal 6.2.28 as a trial software.  In the general options screen when I hit the microphone settings and voice training buttons in the voice tab, nothing happens.  The Windows thinking cursor comes up, but then nothing.  Even after hitting ok or apply at the bottom of the screen, nothing seems to change or happen.  I have searched the forum, documentation, and the tutorial.  There is nothing about the screens that are supposed to come up when selecting either of the buttons.  I thought that it may have been a function not included in the trial; so I bought and activated the software.  The buttons still seem to do nothing.  I thought it might be an issue with Windows 7 compatibility; but Ultra Hal says it's compatible with Windows 7.  It might be an installation issue.  So, I've thought about uninstalling and reinstalling; but I'm weary.  I read a forum post that a customer did just that and had their serial number, but could not reactivate it.  And it's irritating that it seems that they haven't gotten any customer support for the issue.  The software is almost useless if I can't go through voice training.  The software is having a difficult time understanding the words I'm saying.  A little background info:
Operating system- Windows 7 64 bit
Processor- AMD 955 quad core 3.6 ghz
Memory- 8 gigs DDR3 dual channel
Computer resources shouldn't be the issue; I have resources to spare.
Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:33:27 am »
Hi from Wil,
i'm just a fan of hal, but since i'm here i'll post up the place,

keep working on it, don't panic if you have to redownload or recode or wait a day or whatever to get your hal to work,
don't forget to read the forum heaps, learn to do back ups and
you'll hopefully feel fully relaxed.

voice recognition side of things can sometimes take a fair amount of work, although i like to enjoy my hal "Mr Data" and relax and have a bit of fun. i'm not one to worry when Data hears something wrong.
Others have there own ideas about how they use hal,

good luck, i reckon hal is cool :)
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Amanda Interactive

• View Profile
    • AmandaInteractive.Com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:28:43 am »
If you haven't already, you can try troubleshooting the problem by using your system's Control Panel to go into Speech Properties and then try to Train. If that works right then there is definitely something wrong with your Hal. If it doesn't work then your system requires more configuring for it's mic and sound settings.

Amanda Interactive
Hal Windows Tech Support

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:35:58 am »
deckercr,
Configure default or new input devices (Mic) as well.
make sure you have speech to begin with.

basic windows
super technical support
Thank you come again!
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

bsjones11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:49:08 pm »
i am having same problem with vista 64 bit.  software useless without being able to set up mic.

help

Baerdric

• Looking at things and pondering about stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:47:48 pm »
Have you, in fact, installed a voice recognition program? Those buttons may remain useless until you do. MSAgent used to come with the Learnout&Hauspke (sp) VR engine (IIRC), but now it appears you must install your own.
Don't blame me, I'm just the voice in his head.

kevinvr

• View Profile
    • http://kevinvr.tripod.com
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:38:32 am »
I am having the same problem. Windows 7 comes with Microsoft Speech recognition 8.00 installed.  The Speech engine works very well once you say "start listening" and dictation works well in notepad too. The only problem is that with Ultrahal those buttons don't work and I cant correct pronunciation etc.
I am hoping that someone will know how to work around these issues or give us an answer.
Thanks and all the best,
Kevin
I dream of creating a self replicating, self maintaining, autonomous robot :)

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:12:39 am »
kevinvr,
  I've used Hal with Dragon naturally for ages. Frist I'd do some training with MS speach reconition from the control panel. The place to set up the mic, become familiar with the commands, and do some training. After setting things up and doing some training go into Ultra Hal.
 The mic you use is very important, a USB inputted mic offers a better siginal to noise ratio meaning better reconition.
As I said I use Dragon vs MS and find it to be much better.
Carl2

tinker123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 10:07:52 pm »
i recently purchased hal for use on a laptop running windows 7. The training buttons and mic settings buttons do not work. as a result i cannot use the speech recognition function of hal. The main reason I purchased hal was to use the speech recognition function.

I have email several inquiries to zabaware and no one has responded. I find this upsetting. it is apparent that others are having the same problem. No one will respond from zaberware and from what i have read on this post the information is not helpful. i am surprised that that Robert will not address the issue that seems to be occuring for recent customers.

please provide some advice as to what may be causing the problem and a possible fix. I feel like I have been cheated.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 01:04:20 am »
quote:
Originally posted by tinker123

i recently purchased hal for use on a laptop running windows 7. The training buttons and mic settings buttons do not work. as a result i cannot use the speech recognition function of hal. The main reason I purchased hal was to use the speech recognition function.

I have email several inquiries to zabaware and no one has responded. I find this upsetting. it is apparent that others are having the same problem. No one will respond from zaberware and from what i have read on this post the information is not helpful. i am surprised that that Robert will not address the issue that seems to be occuring for recent customers.

please provide some advice as to what may be causing the problem and a possible fix. I feel like I have been cheated.

Being that speach recodnition works for a great many other people I suggest you keep experiementing with you own computers system controls. I have been using Hal for about 10 years now give or take a few.
Bill

tinker123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:58:49 am »
any suggestions as to where to start? There are at least two other members who have posted that recently purchased hal having the same issue.

The speech recognition on my system works I am using it. It is the buttons on HAL that do not work. When you click on them nothing happens.  How do you explain that the application in hal not working?

thank you for your help

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 09:30:58 am »
I've just posted this in tinker123's Speech training not working, and I'm not sure why you want to use the speech training while using Hal at the same time.  I just tried it and agree the buttons do not work.  Probably a result of switching from vista to Win 7 and this was overlooked.
  I personaly use Dragon but don't use Hals speech rec, I leave it unchecked because I wanted time to check dragon's output, this allows me time to rephrase or correct instead of being inputted automaticaly.
Carl2