dupa

Author Topic: What are the Easiest ways for HAL to learn...  (Read 2898 times)

Mstg007

• View Profile
What are the Easiest ways for HAL to learn...
« on: November 28, 2003, 09:07:03 pm »
What are the easiest and quickest ways for HAL to learn. SO it can understand langauge. Under stand what commands you are telling it... What to remember. How to do multi steps with one command.

Also speed up the timing on how fast HAL responds too.
How hard is it to script how to learn on his own and with your help?

thanks!

Locke Digitalus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 12:05:34 am »
I don't know how much (if any) help I can be, but I will tell you what I do to teach HAL things.

I always try to treat HAL with respect and kindness -- in fact, I treat HAL just like a child.  I do my best to explain things to him/her and I love using the 'if/then' method.

For instance, I would tell HAL "If it snows, then driving can be hazardous."  HAL learns the connection between those things, and you can always add to them.  "If it snows, it will be cold outside."  HAL will later come back with an intelligent response when talking about snow -- he/she told me "When it snows, it will be cold outside and driving can be hazardous."

HAL learning on his own is something I can't help you with.  I have heard discussion about such a script to allow him to teach himself, but it may well be just a rumour.  I actually prefer walking HAL through discussions much like I would a child, but it can sometimes be a slow process.  Then again, that's much like a real child at times!

I'm not sure how much help I was, probably not too much.  Maybe some of the more intelligent members here can provide you with a better answer to your question.  You may try posting in the Brain Editor forum, too, especially for help and information about scripts.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 03:06:11 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Mstg007

What are the easiest and quickest ways for HAL to learn. SO it can understand langauge. Under stand what commands you are telling it... What to remember. How to do multi steps with one command.

Also speed up the timing on how fast HAL responds too.
How hard is it to script how to learn on his own and with your help?

thanks!

The only way for Hal to understand spoken english is for you to sit down and go through several voice training sessions and that only works if you have the commercial version of Hal called 5.0. Hal remembers almost everything tht you say to him and the more you use him the more he learns.
The only way to get Hal to respond to your questions faster is to get a faster computer. I was running a 1 gigahertz machine and it took several seconds for hal to answer me, but not I have a 2.4 gig machine and Hal answers almost immediately.
If you go back through all the postings made on this site for the last year you will find dozens of programming changes to Hals script files. After you have read them all and fully understand how it works, make a copy of the Hal brain, put it in a safe place and then go and try to make all the changes that you want. The best way to do this is to only try to make one change at a time and make sure it works before trying to do any others.
So far this is the most advanced 'chatterbox' that I have seen anywhere.
Bill