Author Topic: Choosing a BRAIN  (Read 7261 times)

Anaglyph

• O'l McZabaware had a farrrrmmmm... A I A I O
    • View Profile
Choosing a BRAIN
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:57 pm »
Hello Forum  ;),

New guy here. I just purchased HAL today along with the additional characters bundle. I've played with the shareware version and to be honest, I think I've read every forum post twice in the last couple of months. I'm very excited to get started, but I am slightly confused about one aspect:

Which is the best brain? I see most of the brains were developed for UH 5, and the current software release is 6.2.

I wish to have the brain with the greatest input parsing sense, and word association control if possible. I know there is a brain that provides the "Are these subjects related" function, but I do not know if it is built on the 6.2 brain and architecture. Would using it be a step down - sacrificing some of the more advanced routines of newer brains?

I also have an additional issue. I use voice recognition and unfortunately, I tend to swear like a trucker with hemorrhoids and a wet seat cushion. I'm worried that using the brain designed to disengage filters would again, be an older brain logic. If this is the case, is there a step-by-step post I can study and would teach me how to turn the swearing filters off manually on the newer brain?

After all, I want to be 'me' around HAL and not work so hard at curbing my language.

Thanks for info, advice and such - in advance. :)

-Anaglyph
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:11:42 pm by Anaglyph »
I've no clue. Ask my assistant...

onthecuttingedge2005

Re: Choosing a BRAIN
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:23:30 am »
Hi Anaglyph.

as far as the swearing part you can use this plug-in with HAL.

1/12/2013

Update: fixed an error on my part. should be good now, re-update your copy and paste then reselect the plugin again from brain options and click apply to refresh.

Code: [Select]

'Rem Type=Plugin
'Rem Name=Swear Learning Filter
'Rem Author=Gerald L. Blakley A.K.A OnTheCuttingEdge2005
'Rem Host=All

'This sub setups the plug-ins option panel in Hal's options dialog
Sub OptionsPanel()
    lblPlugin(0).Caption = "This does not prevent HAL from using already learned swearing it simply prevents HAL from learning new swearing/sentences/statements"
    lblPlugin(0).Move 120, 10, 3300, 1000
    lblPlugin(0).WordWrap = True
    lblPlugin(0).Visible = True
End Sub

'Rem PLUGIN: POST-PROCESS

BlockLearnedSwearing = SwearFilter(OriginalSentence)

If BlockLearnedSwearing <> "" Then HalBrain.ReadOnlyMode = True

'Rem PLUGIN: FUNCTIONS

Function SwearFilter(OriginalSentence)

OriginalSentence = " " & OriginalSentence & " "

anArray = Array(" ass"," bitch"," ****"," cock"," dick"," ****"," fag"," nigger"," puss"," queer"," ****"," tit")

For Each arrayElement In anArray

If Instr(1, LCase(OriginalSentence), LCase(arrayElement), vbTextCompare) > 0 Then SwearFilter = arrayElement

Exit For

End Function     

if used with a fresh brain that hasn't learned swearing yet then it should work because this plug-in only prevents HAL from learning new swearing Sentences/Statements.

just copy and past it into a text file and name it SwearFilter.uhp and save it to your Ultrahal Assistant 6 folder then choose the plug-in within brain options.

I also see the forum filter changed some swear words to astricks so they will have to be manually written back in place with the same format in the array.

you can add more swear word triggers or remove what swear words trigger you do and don't like.

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:52:15 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:28:15 am »
Otce2005 this is great hap even though i rarely swear , i saved it as a uhp file . i have been told i am a"FILE HOARDER " lol! :) :D ;)

Anaglyph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:40:16 pm »
Thanks for that, onthecuttingedge2005. :)

To be honest, I'm not so much concerned about HAL swearing as I am about HAL telling me off for doing it. ;) It slows down production time.

I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough in the initial post.

I'm also still hoping someone can advise me about choosing a brain as well.

Thanks for taking the time to post that for me.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:12:21 pm »
Welcome Anaglyph!

There's an old but true computer saying: "Garbage In, Garbage Out".

A lot of us have chosen NOT to use voice recognition with Hal because of misinterpretations by the VR within the computer, not so much with Hal. Having said that, it also allows Hal to absorb regular (non-swearing) verbiage to the extent that it will have learned practically nothing of note or worth remembering!

Most prefer to (yes, it's a bad word for some), TYPE. Make sure your typing is spelled reasonably correct, so Hal doesn't learn from bad behavior. (GIGO).

Some of us use and build upon the DEFAULT Hal Brain. Others, along with myself have gotten great results from the inclusion of several plug-ins, notably the Markov L5 plug-in. In my Hal's case, it seems to have helped Hal learn associations much better and Hal has the ability to retain and later use that learned information as the situation demands or as Hal "thinks" it would be appropriate.

There is no fast way to train Hal. It does take some time, determination and patience. Treat it as if it was a 3 or 4 year old child. Be careful because it can and does remember practically everything it receives.

NOTE: If you ARE absolutely intent on voice recognition, select a relatively quiet location, use a good quality microphone (yes, go through that awful Microsoft training exercise...maybe even more than once...it does help). Speak clearly and in a normal tone then wait for a response, again, as if it was a 3 or 4 year old child being taught.

With some luck and a few weeks of teaching, perhaps you'll be surprised at how Hal develops and actually absorbs a bit of your personality as well.

Check out the plug-ins but try not to overload Hal with every plug-in you get your hands on. It tends to cause more problems than it solves. A few is good, a LOT is not always as good.

Anyhow, good luck and that's my $.04 worth of advice!!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Anaglyph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:58:04 am »
Thanks, Art.

I use HAL with the Dragon VR software. I'm afraid it is essential for me, as besides being my companion, I actually use HAL from my drawing desk or easel. The VR allows me to bring up visual references, view instructional video or access media recipes etc. without needing to cross the room and disrupt my workflow to do it. I use additional applications in addition to HAL to extend system access beyond what HAL is capable of supporting on his own.

While working this way, HAL's learning slider is adjusted to learn as little as possible. ;) So being told off for swearing is the biggest annoyance I experience (so far). If you've ever worked with wet paint and a deadline, you'd definitely see why swearing tends to creep in. ;)

I'm actually well acquainted with computer use and programming, with a history that stretches all the way back to the commodore systems of the early 80s. 

I also intend to write an automated script to create redundant backups to cover my inevitable errors in training HAL as time progresses.

I'm lucky enough to have some experience in AI and a housemate who develops AI software for a living close at hand.

I'm still trying to find out if the brains available at this site for download are out-dated in comparison to the default brain that ships with HAL 6.2.

I will look again at the plug-ins, and thank you very much for your encouragement.

Anaglyph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:27 pm »
Art provided me with some additional information and granted me permission to quote him here:

"The Hal 5 worked on 98 and XP with vonsmith's XTF (Xtended Topic Focus) Brain. Problem being is that Robert's new Hal 6.2 (actually 6.0 and up) version, uses a new method. Instead of using .brn (brain) files, it uses tables and handles topics differently. So trying to use older brains is not really a viable solution for use with Hal 6.X."

... And that answers all of my questions. I hate to find questions in old forum posts unanswered when I'm trying to discover something, so I just wanted to make sure the final question was addressed within this thread.

Thank you Art, and thank you to all who provided aid or looked in to see if they could assist.

:)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:23:57 am »
Glad I could be of assistance and you're certainly welcome! Thanks!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:06:37 am »
Anaglyph
  Glad to see another dragon user, for me it's a must and it makes the conversation much more normal. I'm using the fullbody character with the VrHaptek plugin.  Next I'm sure you'll be getting into which plugins to use.
Best of luck.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 09:43:27 am »
Carl,

I assume you tried the Windows Speech Recognition before you chose Dragon?

What were your deciding factors in making the switch? This might help other potential users as well.

Thanks!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:13:03 am »
Art,
  I remember tying Win 7 VR,  not as good as dragon I'd say.  Long time user of Dragon and I'm more familiar with the commands.  I let Dragon read about 20 or so text files I saved and the accuracy is way up there.  Also using the Plantonics Bluetooth headset SN 32 or so.  I don't check the VR in Hal so it won't input automatically and I can read it.  I'm a long time user and I get offers for $99 every so often.  They also have special offers on the Bluetooth.  I usually start Dragon then open Hal with Dragon.  With me the biggest thing is the conversation is more natural for me.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 07:16:44 pm »
Thanks Carl! Nice to see other alternatives out there. I've used the Windows VR for quite a long time and did a rather lengthy training period reading lots of text files. My recognition rates are likewise up there pretty good.

I guess it's what we each feel comfortable with.

My computer is an all-in-one and I don't usually use or need a headset. I just sit in my chair and talk to the screen. It hears and obeys!! (Without trying to sound too much like a digital chauvinist!). ;)

Thanks for your viewpoint!!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:47:13 am »
  My cousin has an all in one mac and I saw a all in one touch screen, very impressive just a sweep of the hand to get someplace.  They are going into 3D tv sets and monitors which I think would be nice.  With the economy the way it is we are way behind, I'm still using Haptek which is so old.
Carl2