Author Topic: Problem with settings  (Read 4308 times)

rhino1000

• View Profile
Problem with settings
« on: January 20, 2004, 09:25:12 pm »
I have had Hal 5 for about 3 months.  Every time that I close or shut down my lap top, I have to redo Hal's voice.  Can any one help?
Dorothy Heintz

ianah0

• View Profile
Problem with settings
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 05:17:25 pm »
I had this same trouble while using the Mary voice. It changed everytime I opened 'general settings' also. It changes itself to Mary(stadium). It's very annoying. Which voice are you using?

So I started using the Carol voice instead....but it has problems too.

Maybe I will make another post about all my voice problems.

ianah0

rhino1000

• View Profile
Problem with settings
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 08:21:05 pm »
I use voice of Mike and it also goes to the Mike stadium.  I wonder if there is a solution to this problem.

Dorothy Heintz

Ryuhoshi

• View Profile
Problem with settings
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 08:57:43 am »
I have a few problems with the voices as well, though not that they switch on me.  I have been trying to edit the pronunciation of some words that the program uses, but whenever it asks me to save the changes I've made to the file, I say yes and then Hal says that an object doesn't support the action.  Then Hal shuts down and I have to restart it.

vonsmith

• View Profile
Problem with settings
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 12:24:15 pm »
I haven't had that issue with the voices, but my Haptek character disappears from the window after I put my laptop on standby or sometimes just when I open other windows over Hal for a while. I can still see a faint image of the edges of the Haptek character when it moves. If I restart Hal everything is okay. A minor problem, but still irritating.

=vonsmith=

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
Problem with settings
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 06:39:24 pm »
I set the pitch of Hal's voice to a lower pitch to make it sound better and test it in the options menu and it changes, but when I apply the changes and exit and talk to Hal, the voice is back to the default pitch again. I'm not sure if this is a related problem, but it sounds like the changes are not being saved in all our cases.
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

Samitarrius

• View Profile
Problem with settings
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 01:26:12 am »
I hate to beat a dead horse, but has this problem of voice changes been solved yet?  I too, have the same problem, and noticed someone last April had the same question.  I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to fix it.

utopia

• View Profile
Problem with settings
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 11:58:42 pm »
I too have the annoying problem of the Hal program not remembering selections in the speech pronunciation settings.  But I would also like to add that I have the Lernout & Hauspie speech engine installed, which contains the 'Carol' Voice.  Whenever I go into the Windows control panel and edit the speech parameters, or add words and pronunciations, it too doesn’t get remembered.  I noticed that when you activate the speech properties, it creates the dictionary file temporarily, and deletes it when you close the speech properties.  I've tried designating a different dictionary file but when I go back to the speech properties the original dictionary file is loaded in.  I have several gripes about Hal’s nagging problems but perhaps this one is not his fault.

Utopia

Padriag

• View Profile
    • http://www.bardicheart.com
Problem with settings
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 03:46:19 pm »
I've noticed the same thing as Utopia... the L&H engine doesn't seem to want to remember things.  It may be that either Hal or we are not doing something correctly, and the L&H engine doesn't seem that intuitive to me.  I have created a dictionary file, but the problem now seems to be in getting Hal to load it.  I would assume you'd need to make it the default dictionary, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.  I also don't see a way to cause it to automatically load or associate it with a voice.  Maybe if we could take the existing Carol voice, copy it with the new dictionary incorporated?  I have no idea on how to do this, anyone else have any ideas?  Would be a lot of trouble to go to just for a voice but it might be one work around.