Author Topic: Help on Editing Brain Files  (Read 3244 times)

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Help on Editing Brain Files
« on: May 30, 2003, 05:14:20 pm »
Could anyone give me any suggestions on editing the brain files. I am just a fairly new user and not sure how its done. I also have little programing experience could any one help on this subject.[?]
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 11:52:42 pm »
As you already know you can use the Hal Brain Editor to change the way Hal responds and also alter Hal's overall personality, but this requires some knowledge and understanding of VB Script Programming.
However, it is also possible to open the *.brn files using a text editor like Notepad and then simply modify the file by changing, adding, or deleting the text within the file. I don't think that this is a recommended way of doing things but I am having positive results...I'm the guy whose Brain Editor doesn't work, so I go right into the *.brn files to make my modifications, and for me this a lot easier to do than to learn another whole new programming language in order to change the way Hal works and responds. Using this method I am able to undo many mistakes that Hal makes. If Hal is giving me an undesired response or result I use this method to change the way Hal responds to get the desired result. You can also modify some of the *.brn files to include more responds, almost like instant learning. But there are some things that you will need to be aware before trying to check-out this short-cut to brain editing. Send me an e-mail if you are are interested in the tedious details! You need to take caution when modifing the *.brn files this way or else the final end result could be really messing things up and then your Hal won't even chat anymore! And also, if you want to learn more about VB Scripting just look for some books or websites about the subject to get you started in the right direction. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with the VB...sorry I am just learning about VB myself so I can't really help you with that part!

Morkeleb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 10:16:38 pm »
Thank you for your idea's I will try editing the files to see if it might work.[:)]
Sorry to hear about your brain editor have you tried to unistall and reinstall it this might fix the problem, mine works fine but I just dont know enought about vb to modify the script yet.[?]
I will try both learning more about vb and modifying the brain files.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net