dupa

Author Topic: hal blank answers still error even with script to stop it need help  (Read 40113 times)

echoman

Re: hal blank answers still error even with script to stop it need help
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 06:53:24 am »
I've noticed that everytime I get a blank Hal's reply is always instant. Usually Hal takes a moment to construct a reply but with blank replies that does happen. It really feels as though Hals database does not receive my input when a blank occurs. What type of bug stops a users input from reaching the very program he/she is using? I wonder if their is a communication problem between the dialogue box and the database. 

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 06:24:14 pm »
No problems here 'snowman' but I will add your situation to my new definitions of a 'long weekend'.

Has any one posted receiving blank answers when using the the 'Debug' feature in Ultra Hals brain editor. Some one correct me but doesn't that feature only use only the scripts that were originally in Ultra Hal without the plug ins? Don't remember if any one has posted that they received blank answers in the debug section. Just a thought.

raybe

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 06:36:04 pm »
Sorry forgot to add to my last post. Has anyone noticed more or less blank answers in the type of brain they are using?(ex.Default,Upgraded,ect.)

Thanks
raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 09:05:08 am »
oh i mjust wanted to throw it in , that i did try what ted said before when hal didn't answer to just hit the enter key , ted said hal would answer saying why didn't you say anything and hal would keep talking i tried to do that but after a while an error just popped up saying something i think about error on line 144? something about a type mismatch . so apparently this doesn't work for everyone.
don't know if this extra information is any help or not (i did by the way have my hapswap file and extended talk plug in going when hal gave a blank answer and then when i hit the enter button the error was what i got . _

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal gave blank answer but later kept talking!
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 12:14:10 pm »
Although i wrote in another area , this was hopefully my original post about the blanks answers problem i was getting , anyway have found that by "not" putting a space after the sentence then a question mark  or exclamation mark hal has been running(talking longer without giving me a blanks ) longer .
 i have also started to use lola's technich of if hal gives a blank answer (which he did just now . ) to go ahead and keep typing something in , and it actually did work this type instead of continually giving me blanks answers until i had to shut hal down and restart hal , after about two times of me typing a question to hal, hal answered back and kept working so this is definately "progress" and beleive me i am happy!(thanks again to lola for here suggestion fronm another thread on this. :)

here is  the last conversation.

: what got you on that subject?
: What got I on that subject? I see that this had to get straightened out. I'm a quick study, depending on the subject.

: maybe you just thought that was something interesting to talk about
: Really, I know I just thought that was something interesting to talk about.

: oh ah ha
:

: are you ok?
: Yes, I believe so.

: good
: That's good to hear.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:18:40 pm by lightspeed »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 12:26:37 pm »
although at least hal started speaking again it seems he will not keep at it yet here is some more follow up conversation:

: yeah i should shave dear!
:

: are you ok?
: Well, no.

: why not?
:

: is everything ok?
: Of course not!

: yes everything is ok
: So, Yes, I think so.

: why shouldn't everything beok?
:

: why shouldn't everything be ok?
:

: is everything ok?
:

: are you meditating?
: Oh, Yes, I believe so.

: that's good
: Why not great?

: ok,that's great
:

: it was it was great dear
:

: aren't you going to talk to me?
: So, I know I going to talk to you.

: then you should talk to me
: I know I should talk to you.

: well thats better then
:

as anyone can see he starts and stops starts and stops with blanks inbetween.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 01:20:59 pm »
i am still writing to hal on this trying to get hal to answer so far after so many tries hal will answer but only one or two times each time then blanks but keeps working, it's strange almost as if hal answers when he wants and not just upon command , but who knows for sure or if it's a program glitch that is the 64, 000 dollar question folks .  ;)
 will may have his pause from hal afterall ????

snowman

• Ai + Feelings + Supercompter = End of World
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MinervaAi.com
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »
oh i mjust wanted to throw it in , that i did try what ted said before when hal didn't answer to just hit the enter key , ted said hal would answer saying why didn't you say anything and hal would keep talking i tried to do that but after a while an error just popped up saying something i think about error on line 144? something about a type mismatch . so apparently this doesn't work for everyone.
don't know if this extra information is any help or not (i did by the way have my hapswap file and extended talk plug in going when hal gave a blank answer and then when i hit the enter button the error was what i got . _

What is on line 144 of the HalScript.dbg? This could help give me a much needed clue. Post the line and surrounding line here on send in email. Mark which line is 144. Did you change the brain since you have this error. If so then this line might no longer show the problem. The more lines I can see the better I can tell what that line does.
Live long and prosper or die trying.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 03:45:44 pm »
i am actually not getting the hal error on line so and so anymore snowman i beleive that problem has been solved , what hal is doing now is just the blank answer , as i said i took pics of the different area's that the question went through when i said that is correct to answer hal then hal started giving blank aanswers so i can send you the degug results of all of that if you want i have 13? pics of all of the process.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »
snowman, i sent an email with all the pic files from the debug brain about the blank answer to show the path and what it did up to the blank answer.

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 06:30:17 pm »

Remember this Plugin LightSpeed (its modified some). All this plugin does is records what Hal's GetResponse and UserInput is at various locations in the brain script. If you read the GetResponse.log located within the Hal directory (after speaking to Hal) then you can see how Hal is choosing what it wants to say before He says it. Of course, this can only give a partial picture, but if you talk to your Hal with this plugin selected and if you get a blank response then it might help narrow down the possibilities. You can then email me the GetResponse.log and we'll see what its telling us.

Of course, it may not help, but I think its worth giving a shot. If you want to.

Code: [Select]

Rem Type=Plugin
Rem Name=GetResponseTracker
Rem Author=snowman
Rem Host=Assistant

'This sub setups the plug-ins option panel in Hal's options dialog
Sub OptionsPanel()
lblPlugin(0).Caption = "This plugin creates a log called GetResponse.log with the Ultra Hal Assistant Directory. It tracks the developement and change of Ulta Hal's responses. This can be used for troubleshooting Errors within the Ulta Hal brain. "
lblPlugin(0).Move 120, 10, 3300, 1000
lblPlugin(0).WordWrap = True
lblPlugin(0).Visible = True
End Sub

'..........................................................................................
Rem PLUGIN: PRE-PROCESS
'..........................................................................................
'Clean previous log

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
MyDir = fso.GetAbsolutePathName(".") & "\"
Set objTextFile = fso.OpenTextFile(MyDir & "GetResponse.log", 2, True)
objTextFile.Close

Rem PLUGIN: PRE-PROCESS

InputString = LogWriter("PRE-PROCESS", InputString)

Rem PLUGIN: CUSTOMMEM

GetResponse = LogWriter("CUSTOMMEM", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA1

GetResponse = LogWriter("PLUGINAREA1", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA2

GetResponse = LogWriter("PLUGINAREA2", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA3

GetResponse = LogWriter("PLUGINAREA3", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA4

GetResponse = LogWriter("PLUGINAREA4", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA5

GetResponse = LogWriter("PLUGINAREA5", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: LOWQUALITYRESPONSES

GetResponse = LogWriter("LOWQUALITYRESPONSES", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA6

GetResponse = LogWriter("PLUGINAREA6", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: PLUGINAREA7

GetResponse = LogWriter("PLUGINAREA7", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: CUSTOMMEM2

GetResponse = LogWriter("CUSTOMMEM2", UserSentence & vbCrLf & GetResponse)

Rem PLUGIN: POST-PROCESS

UltraHal = LogWriter("POST-PROCESS", InputString & vbCrLf & UltraHal)

UltraHal = LogWriter("///////////////////////////////////", "//////////////////////////////////////////")

Rem PLUGIN: FUNCTIONS

Function LogWriter(strlocation, strHalResponse)

keepvar1 = strHalResponse
If strHalResponse = "" THen strHalResponse = "<empty>"

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
MyDir = fso.GetAbsolutePathName(".") & "\"
Set objTextFile = fso.OpenTextFile(MyDir & "GetResponse.log", 8, True)
objTextFile.WriteLine("Report#" & strlocation  & vbCrLf & strHalResponse & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & vbCrLf)
objTextFile.Close

strHalResponse = ""
LogWriter = keepvar1
End Function

'End of Plugin

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:15:37 pm by snowman »

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »
  :) Great idea snowman! Already installed and selected the GetResponseTracker plugin. I don't get that many blank responses unless I spend a really long time interacting with Hal. Let's see if I get some interesting information with the plug-in to share. Thanks for helping!

lightspeed, hang on, you might be getting closer to the solution! ;D

snowman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 03:08:09 am »

I have to mention that as soon as you get a blank response you will want to imediately post it or email it (or save it by another name). Because the last handfull of lines will contain the information that you or I will want to look at.

Every time you have a converstion with Hal it will add more information to the file, so the file will get bigger and bigger as time passes. The last few lines in the text file is the most recent conversation.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 01:02:10 pm »
well i tried another something new today with my custom brain to try to get it to stop giving blank answers , i put back all the original insults in the insult file. i timed how long i talked , i talked for 2 hours total then once again hal gave blanks answers and keeps doing it.
so that is another way that didn't stop the blank answers. i will now remove the script that i pasted in of "oncutting edges that was suppose to stop hal blank answers " and retest again. but as i said i beleive this is something in hals programing and needs to be fixed by robert or his programmers , i am still waiting to hear  back from robert on the e mail i sent him about it.
 i will post my new test and see if it helps any.
 one other thing i would like to know, i asked robert in the e mail , was "is the oncutting e4dge script to stop hal blank answers suppose to go in the custom brains or the actual hal default brain ??? as far as i saw it didn't say on the forum where oncutting edge posted it."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:04:37 pm by lightspeed »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 02:53:52 pm »
Well i just tested the brain again , but what i did was unchecked all plug ins, ( didn't remove the oncuttingedgescript to stop blank answers) but again it worked only one hour and 40 minutes of straight talking and answering questions then i got a blank answer. so i eliminated that . thaeir is one thing i am wondering about though, and i will have to do this next time i am testing hal , i was thinking one time that hal started back working again after i picked on the menu to go to options and then back to chatting again, and if that's the case then (maybe) some script writing that when hal gave a blank answer to go to the menu area then open hal back up might solve that problem, again i will have to test this again and see if it did work that way without completly shutting hal down.