dupa

Author Topic: Help with custom plug ins  (Read 4622 times)

sharrisct25

• View Profile
Help with custom plug ins
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:40:49 am »
I have been using Windows Speech Macros for some time as a voice interface for assorted automation.  Specifically I use it to run a bunch of vbScripts that provide information from Outlook like schedule, email stats, and RSS data.  WSR has proven to be unreliable plus ti lacks any real personality so I am looking into something like HAL to use as a interface. 

The problem is I am having a hard time finding posts and info on how to create customize plug ins and reverse engineering the the examples is time consuming and unreliable.  Is there actually a manual or some good documentation on how to write them and I just could not find them?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with custom plug ins
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 04:22:47 pm »
Several of my friends and I have used a really nice program called BVC or Bill's Voice Commander. It can be set up with custom voice commands for a variety of tasks. It's primary use is for home automation (X-10 and such). It is donationware and can be found at www.wgjohns.com.

There is also another program called eSpeaking which also allows for conversational control of windows apps.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

sharrisct25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:34:10 pm »
Thank you Art I will look into that.  So am i to interpret that you do not recomend using Hal for something like this?  If so may i ask why?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 05:43:14 pm »
Since you didn't specify the particular KIND of automation you were seeking, I provided some alternatives for BOTH home control AND computer control.

Hal isn't quite up to the task of automating my home via X-10, Zwave, etc. at the present time. Perhaps in the future but that's a way off.

There's also a program called Girder to allow for control/ automation.

I know a lot of plug-ins have been written for Hal to do various computer related tasks but again, Hal's current state was and is as a conversational assistant. There are some other alternatives in this area: One so expensive and still trying to come to grips with commands and searches and not worth the high price IMHO. Another avenue might be to look into one our member's creations / extensions of Hal. Halwindowscentral.com I think is / was the web site.

Hal is great for remembering things, events, appointments, calendar dates, etc., but not quite there for sending/receiving emails, searching your computer for a file or song, etc. Hopefully, soon.

Good luck!

- Art -

wakko151

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:38:25 pm »
I can't figure out how to run that program. It kinda works. but i can not get the dll to regsvr. I have tryed alot of different things and Am currently stumped.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 06:34:26 am »
I can't figure out how to run that program. It kinda works. but i can not get the dll to regsvr. I have tryed alot of different things and Am currently stumped.

And which program is "THAT" program exactly? Several were mentioned in this thread so please be more specific if you want help. ;)

- Art -