Author Topic: Does the program I am looking for exist?  (Read 15514 times)

marah_iafew

• View Profile
Does the program I am looking for exist?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 07:31:48 am »
Not to hijack the post, but I was reading some of the stuff here and I would have to agree with concretefire, again agreeing with his sentiment that I'm not stepping on toes or anything... there is a huge difference between having the ability to write the incredible software and put together the art for it.

I'm currently employed as a 3d artist for an online series of publications.  Most of what I do is centered around Daz3d, Poser, 3dsMax, and Photoshop.  

Ive been into 3d graphics for 20+ years and have seen quite a bit of the evolution of the technology where that is concerned....  

As far as animations for speech, there is an applet that works with Daz Studio and Poser that will automate the mouth moving, the head moving, expressions, etc...  To construct a series of anims to output into a 2d format is so simple it's scary.  Even easier if you are working with a 3d application.

I've been tinkering with the different AI and speech recognition software for a few years on and off and have just recently come to have a look around again...

In my line of work, over the past two years or so, Ive built up a render farm... which is basically a series of computers that work together to perform large scale renders and multi frame animations.  Right now the farm is up to 16 computers ranging from P4s to i3s.

What I want to be able to do is utilize an AI bot that will act something like, yes Im going to say it, a HAL... of course without the psychotic tendencies.  I want to get up in the morning and tell her to power up certain computers, turn the blacklights on in my computer room, set the stereo to a certain CD.. etc.

I plan on dedicating one computer to just displaying her headshot and text boxes and have her rigged into the entire system, lighting, enviro controls, and all.

I know mostly how Im going to pull off the external stuff, (lighting, stereo, etc) I have the character made that Im going to use for the representation of the machine, but what Im stuck on is the AI end of it.

Windows 7 has an incredible speech recog system, accurate to an incredible degree, but no return dialog.  I love the functionality of Hal, but I guess what I cant seem to figure out is... can you program functions in hal like you can in e-speaking?  E-speaking will allow you to create commands, almost like a macro-type thing, but again, no return, no ability to carry on a conversation...

Wow, that was lengthy.  Sorry about that... I saw this stuff and teh advances, and jumped on ebay and bought a 22 inch flat panel monitor so my AI comp will have a place for her face... :)  Just gotta work out the fine details now...

-M-

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 12:50:03 pm »
the short answer is yes.
the structure of the program is set-up to add plugins easily.
the plugins are vbscript, but you can call externals and windows commands, ect.
so basically you can control what you want with hal, it might take some plugin programming to get it done.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 03:08:52 pm »
Marah
I am not sure that I completely understand your wants or wishes about or for Hal, but Hal can do hundreds of more things than most peopl realize.
A past user whos name I have forgotten used Hal and something called X10 protocall. By doing this he was able to have Hal control by voice command almost everything in his home. He could simple tell Hal what he wanted and his computer would respond with the right actions, ie. "Turn on the living room lights Hal" or dozens of other similiar commands and it was done.  He did have to learn how to control the interface between the two but appearntely it was not that hard and he was very successful.
If all this in not revelant to what you were talking aboout then sorry for my misunderstanding.
Bill
"People are only limited by their own knowledge of how to do things."

marah_iafew

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 03:26:23 pm »
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

The more I look into Hal, the more excited I'm getting :))

Thanks!

djkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »
Autoit! is what I use to create exe or bat files that I call up using
Dragon naturally and Hal. With a tad bit of research you can control just about anything by creating the command and then speaking to Hal.
D

marah_iafew

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »
Thats a great idea.... I use autoit for running bots on MMOs...  wow, yes..

Hmm, using Hal to call up other apps...  opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Now, any advice on a good character creator0type software I could use to import the animations from Poser or Max?  I want to go with 2d animations... Dont think her 'brain' computer has the capability to render the polys in real time.

Thanks in advance.  Wow this is awesome!

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »
One
Over the years I have witnessed several operations performed by a doctor who was not even in the same country. Whhile you can say that robotics was the name of the equipment used, A.I. has no connection with the equipment, it was all just a remote controolled machine.
Bill