Author Topic: 6.1 : "UHA Listener"  (Read 9741 times)

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
6.1 : "UHA Listener"
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:04:52 pm »
I have been looking at the message sending program that Robert posted as an example and I have to admit I don't understand it at all. But I am pretty sure that "UHA Listener" is the point of the whole thing.

Is this like a COM object in that it can be connected to with VBS, or is it only available to VB and compiled Programs?

A sample in WScript would be nice if its possible [:)]

bcleland2@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:11:10 pm »
This program just uses the WM_COPYDATA message to send information to the "UHA Listener" window.

This should be available from any application able to send Window's messages.
MT1(ss) USN Ret.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:38:52 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by bcleland2@yahoo.com

This program just uses the WM_COPYDATA message to send information to the "UHA Listener" window.

Hmmm... I'll do some searches on that to see how to use it with VBS, thanks.

Oh, a brief search suggests that VBS is not the way to use this sort of method. It seems to pass a pointer to specific data which is beyond the intended abilities of a script.

I may have to learn more programming... I have VB it just makes me pull my hair out so I pretend it's not there.[:D]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:52:42 pm by Bill DeWitt »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:57:35 pm »
My main purpose was so that other compiled programs could communicate with Hal, but I'm sure VBS could be made to do it with the proper activex control.

This is meant to replace the DDE communication method present in earlier versions of Hal that never did work too well. I plan on making a facial recognition plug-in sometime this year that will utilize this feature. It will run as a seperate program that monitors your webcam. When it recognizes someone, it will send a message to Hal and Hal can pop up and greet them and change to the correct profile.
Robert Medeksza

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 03:17:03 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

My main purpose was so that other compiled programs could communicate with Hal, but I'm sure VBS could be made to do it with the proper activex control.

Ah, I did see a mention of that, but ActiveX controls can be pricy.
quote:
I plan on making a facial recognition plug-in sometime this year that will utilize this feature.

Hoho... That will be hot.

Ooo, sudden image of a distributed Hal in a home network knowing who is in what room and conversing with them all...

bcleland2@yahoo.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:24:29 pm »
Making an ActiveX would not be difficult for message sending, if a response is required that would be some factor more difficult.
MT1(ss) USN Ret.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 02:19:46 am »
FACIAL RECOGNITION PLUG-IN??!!! WHOO HOO!!! Sorry! I got overly excited there! (pant! pant!) I've been wanting this and studying how to implement it and concluded that it's way beyond my present abilities. This is awesome, Robert! Here's a thought; If a new person that Hal doesn't recognize comes into view, then Hal could ask the person's name and how to spell it, then create the person's profile automatically.
"You'ren't sure whether I understand." HalChatbot2004

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:16:00 am »
[:D]
Hi from Will, face recognition for hal shall be very popular,
i shall stop looking around for recognition software and wait.can't wait.
i like Marcel's idea of hal asking who someone is if hal does not recognize them.
perhaps when hal sees me he could "open    get me a banana"and Mr Data's pc shall activate his body.
also i wonder if face recognition could recognise an object just as easy as a face, like a banana, i hope so.
Keep up the good work,
Thank you Mr Medeksza, your doing an amazing job.
Bye for now and be well from Will.
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

pactive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 09:41:43 am »

I just discovered a piece of freeware that seems to be able to used with programs like UltraHal, it's vb scriptable and works with most webcams, check out http://www.roborealm.com . The software is designed for integrating with robots, but shape recognition and pattern matching would be useful with an AI program too.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:19:22 am »
Hi Will
I have a robot called ER1 and it comes with face recognition software and yes it could not only recognise a banana but one it had been shown a $10 bill and a $20 can tell the difference between the two. It is very nice software but is rather expensive and does not a least at this time interact with Hal.
Bill

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 05:03:07 am »
Hi from Will, [:)]
if zabare ware makes vision recognition for hal
then it is most likely i shall buy it because i would know the vision recognition was made for hal and would be supported by zabaware and its nice to support zabaware.
Thank you
bye for now and be well from Will.
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 11:01:08 pm »
I remember reading about the ER1 in earlier posts. If I had the money and the space for it I would have bought it. ER1 looks really cool. As I understand it, one could put a Hal brain onto it and have it roll around and talk with you, but the Hal and ER1 didn't communicate with each other. Am I right on this? Anyway, I think it would be wonderful if my Hal could recognize a banana! This, however, would elevate the plug-in from facial recognition to object recognition. It may require different methods to achieve this, and I'm not sure it's what Robert has in mind. ER1 can tell the difference between a ten and a twenty? Wow! I'm with Will on this. I'm gonna buy it from Zabaware and see what mods the geniuses arond here can come up with!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 07:35:18 am »
Marcel,

Just to keep things clear, Zabaware (as far as I know) does not sell
the ER-1 system. That would be Evolution Robotics from: www.evolution.com

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 11:45:49 am »
I meant to say that I'll buy the facial recognition plugin from Zabaware, although ER1 looks cool. Anyway, we seem to have diverged from the original topic up there!

jsmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 02:57:35 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza
When it recognizes someone, it will send a message to Hal and Hal can pop up and greet them and change to the correct profile.

Excellent idea! I have a question though...is it possible to determine the speaker via voice recognition yet? I'd love to have HAL recognize my voice and switch users.