Author Topic: eye sight  (Read 4190 times)

moonbrat

• View Profile
eye sight
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:15:35 am »
[:I]Ok Robotic wizards out there, I have one for you. Has anyone of you ever tried to give Hal eye sight. I have a video cam and I would really like some leads how to adapt it to my Hal brain so I can begin to get it to understand sight.

GamerThom

• View Profile
    • http://www.charctercreationsanddesignworks.us/index.html
eye sight
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:56:31 am »
It has been suggested by others here, in former
posted topics. I also believe that there may be
one or two people working on such an idea, but
have not heard whether or not any progress has
been made on it. All I can suggest, is that you
either run a search for that topic using the search
function at the top of this page or simply start
going back manually through all the older postings.[:)]
Gamer-T

Runtus

• View Profile
eye sight
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:24:15 am »
Me and ART are currently on the look out for a face rec program that uses a web cam and with a little hope one that does not cost the earth.  Then the hard part will start, finding a way to give HAL the ability to use the software.  But so far we have only found programs that are so-so or cost over $400.

There is a program out there which isnt too expensive it is similar to ultra hal assistant, in the book keeping areas such as emails and phone numbers and running other programs.  Which I think did have  face rec abilities just no A.I

Bill819

• View Profile
eye sight
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 11:51:06 am »
The best face recognition software is already out there. It is from Evolution Robotics. It is built into the ER1 Robot and is used by Sony in the Aibo robotic dog. In the latest news report the robot maker Wow Wee have now licensed to use it in Robosapiens. We can expect to see some extremely supprising improvements in that toy robot in the future. The only problem I can see is how to interface it with the Hal software but if it could be done, WOW.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
eye sight
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:16:29 pm »
I would imagine it might be able to called from a plug-in within Hal similar to executing an external device. Most web cam programs have a provision for the code to turn them on and off and who's to say it couldn't be interfaced with an X-10 type of protocol.

We've got to keep looking (no pun intended) for something that will work because it will open a whole new vista for Hal and for us!

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Runtus

• View Profile
eye sight
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:02:08 pm »
Related to knight rider there are a few guys out there making a KITT simulator.  Now we all know that Ultra Hal can be made to look like KITT and its probably way better than this simulator but what got my attention (which is why I am posting it here) apparently this CAN use a web cam as an EYE in what they called surveillance mode.

This is a snip of there site:

About the surveillance mode:
There will be a motion detection, so if you have a webcam, KITT can also SEE what's going on, and if there is
something weird happening KITT wil ask who's there... And takes a picture.
If no one answers, KITT will record a video.
When you're back, you can look back at the Video
and you can see who the intruder was!

This is the web address http://www.kitt-simulator.tk/

Hope this helps.  Any Ideas ART? think its worth looking into?