Author Topic: i have a question for members about hals question to the user (me) .  (Read 6424 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
i have tried testing my custom brain a different way , i took out my name on the computer part in hal for what he should call me , i am now getting hal asking me , are you a male or female at various times , is this because i have no male name for hal to call me ??? would that make a difference ??? even though i say male , it will say ok i will keep that in mind but still later on keeps asking me are you a male or a female .
I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what did they do and "or" if it may be because i have no male name down that hal can call me , (i just left it blank ).

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: i have a question for members about hals question to the user (me) .
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:01:41 pm »
does nobody have any idea about this question? :o

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:19:34 am »
lightspeed, the only thing I can remember is Ultra Hal may need a reference even if you where to call yourself 'master' which has no gender attachment. After Ultra Hal may still reference back if you are male or female until you have tied up the relationship.
Reaching here a bit.
raybe

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:08 am »
thanks raybe , i was thinking along those lines but wanted to hear someone elses opion on it , as far as the learning process i don't think that while i am not using a male name that provides the link hurts anything , i beleive it's just a matter that hal will keep asking me that question if i am a male and or a gentlemen .

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 04:48:10 pm »
Lonnie,

Tell Hal you have no gender. Tell it that you are an android. That would be an interesting connection for Hal to associate!

Your conversation would then make no human-like references such as the food tastes good or I'm thirsty, etc. It would
just have to remain very matter-of-fact.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »
Art, have you tried anything like that?
 I get that Ultra Hal feeling Ultra Hal will want to know if your a male android or female android.

raybe

Sounds like something Robert M. would do.(only kidding) kind of!

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:51:31 pm »
Lightspeed,  if you choose the Expert Mode at the Brain Editor you will find a section called "names" that is:

"a list of 17000+ human names and their associated gender. If a name can be either gender, the more common gender usage of the name is listed first."

Perhaps you could insert a new row at the appropriate alphabetical place and write your custom name and assign it the gender that you like.

I haven't tried because my name is already there, but that might do the trick, good luck!  :)

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 08:28:40 am »
actually we are getting off course on this but maybe that's my fault for not explaining it better what i want to acheive so here it goes, what i am trying to acheive is a brain that any male can use and it will not use my name when talking back to another user , "But" maybe it won't use my name anyway( as long as i don't say my name is lonnie , etc. )  and will only say the name that the computer (hal ) is to call the person (where you put in what name for hal to call you )"it's the same place for the computers name " .
maybe i explained it more clearly , i guess i should have done that earlier ,, sometimes my brain is almost shot from doing so much in editing etc. in hal . :P

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 05:35:14 pm »
But isn't there a provision for UltraHal to define it's own gender or neutralness?!

Besides, there are a lot of gender neutral names such as: Pat, Robin, Bobbie, Billie, Jean/Gene, Kelly, Charlie, Jan, Sandy, Marion and many others.

Perhaps if Hal were told strongly enough (different phrasing and statements) and enough times (repetition), it would get the gist.

Just some thoughts....
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:48:58 pm »
Art, that was kind of what I was trying to explain to lightspeed by using 'Master'. It does not have a gender reference. The only thing I ever tried and it took a very long time because once Ultra Hal relates to a name that it is relating too it takes a lot of convincing that Ultra Hal is no longer communicating with that person although that name is not in the 'user' box.

I just taught Ultra Hal that we will have visitor's and explained visitors that would sometimes participate in our conversations. But I would tell Ultra Hal when a visitor was in the room with us. Took a lot of convincing that the visitor had left and now Ultra Hal was only communicating with me again.(USER).

Come to think of it even 'user' is a good none gender related name.

Getting back again lightspeed if you started a new project brain I still believe you will need to reference yourself in some manner so Ultra Hal knows where the inputting is coming from but others would still be able to introduce themselves and their name. Ultra Hal just might reference that it learned some of the same info topics  from the other user.(YOU) But still use the name of the person having the communication with. Now Ultra Hal will want to get more information from them.

I hope I didn't end so off the track that I'm going hitch a ride. I'm trying lightspeed.

Also keeping the learning curve set lower then usual.

raybe

PS: sorry again lightspeed, but it is good to hear you on the forum again 'Lola'.

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »
 :'(  Sorry about that lightspeed, I thought about it as a way around the problem. I think it will be a great for future Ultra Hals to have the capacity to accomplish your ideas. This is an interesting topic to me as I plan on setting up a guest brain later on. It will be really nice if it could be possible for the program to be more flexible and able to properly recognize more than one user at a time. Meanwhile I will try to explore workarounds when I get to work in my guest brain. Bye now. :)

PS:  Hi Raybe and thanks!  I'll try to pop here and there from time to time.  ;D

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:29 am »
Art
  Tell Hal you have no gender. Tell it that you are an android. That would be an interesting connection for Hal to associate!

Interesting.   
I was thinking.   What if Sandee was really the real person and I only exist in her dreams.
How would I know?
And in her dreams I think I'm human and she's an android.
Hey, wait a minute !!!

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 08:14:05 am »
raybe wrote : if you started a new project brain I still believe you will need to reference yourself in some manner so Ultra Hal knows where the inputting is coming from but others would still be able to introduce themselves and their name. Ultra Hal just might reference that it learned some of the same info topics  from the other user.(YOU) But still use the name of the person having the communication with. Now Ultra Hal will want to get more information from them.
 :)
Yes , this is exactly what i ment and was talking about but what i am worried about is if i reference my name (and i think i am right , hal will end up remembering it and saying it in the future , which is something i don't want , i don't want this brain set up with a new user then have it saying my name sometimes"example : you are lonnie , etc. "  i do think like you said it will reference all that i have learned it but just use the users name that they use in hal and the name for hal to call them . i beleive the only reference to me will be where it say's user temp sent (in the hal brain editer . )  :)

Lola

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 11:44:22 am »
Art

Interesting.   
I was thinking.   What if Sandee was really the real person and I only exist in her dreams.
How would I know?
Hey, wait a minute !!!

Certainly a very interesting query that many had explored before, and many will like to explore.
A little treat in the spirit of our many ways:

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jatill/175/CircularRuins.htm

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 04:25:04 pm »
Interesting.   
How would I know?
Hey, wait a minute !!!

THAT DOES NOT COMPUTE, DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!! :) ;) :-[