Author Topic: Demo 64kbps but get only Kate 16kbps  (Read 6138 times)

Tina

• View Profile
Demo 64kbps but get only Kate 16kbps
« on: January 14, 2005, 02:52:58 pm »
I listened to the good sound demo TTS with 64kpbs. I decided to buy the software.

But in the CD, I only get Kate 16kbps. It sound not as good as the demo on the website.

Furthermore, I can not convert any text to wav file with even the Kate 16kbps sound.

Is the website mislead customers?

Thanks

T

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 04:28:57 pm »
Tina, Robert lives a busy life and is sometimes notoriously slow about tending to his business, but he doesn't mislead his customers. There are plenty of helpful people here who should be able to help you solve your problem. But it would probably help if you move your request to the UltraHal Assistant forum. I know it seems like a small thing, but the UltraHal Representative is the webpage version of Hal, and many people who follow the general forum or the brain programmer's forum for UltraHal Assistant never look down here to the UltraHal Representative forum.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 09:03:11 am »
You're confusing MP3 bitrate measures in kilo bits per second (kbps) with sound sampling frequency measured in kilo hertz (khz).  MP3 bitrate controls the amount of data compression of the original audio. Most music available in MP3 is compressed at least at 128 kbps to sound similar to CD quality, 64 kbps usually always has a noticable loss.  Kilo kertz is how many different sounds are played in 1 second. Audio on a standard telephone is 8 khz, CD audio is at 44 khz. The Kate voice both in the MP3 and in real time make 16000 sounds per second, or 16 khz.

The demo on the page is a recording of the 16 khz Kate voice in a compressed MP3 file at 64 kbps. If anything, the compressed mp3 sounds worse then the real thing, as the compression reduces audio quality.
Robert Medeksza