Author Topic: Problem with GRETTA Curiousity Function  (Read 5549 times)

snoz0r

• View Profile
Problem with GRETTA Curiousity Function
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:51:28 pm »
Been a long time since I've messed with HAL but i've recently got back into it. I've ran into a problem however.

When trying to apply the setting for the GRETTA curiousity function i have been getting an error message that pops up and IMMEDIATELY disappears before being able to read it. After many tries I was able to catch it with the print screen function and this is what it says.

"The script you are executing is taking longer than expected to run. Click end to abort the script, or continue to continue script execution"

In the screen shot, the end button IS highlighted, and when it is running, the GRETTA plugin does not asking any questions during idle what so over, so it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone know of a fix for this? If any questions need to be asked, fire away. Here are some computer specs just in case that it may be the cause:

IBM Thinkpad laptop running Win2k, fully updated with all windows updates and service packs

Pentium 3 with 256mb ram

thanks in advance
Brad

snoz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:04:44 pm »
nobody? [:(]

djkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:08:44 pm »
More than likely this is just a memory issue as scripts can hang from time to time.  I would make sure that all the correct hap files mp3 files etc are all in the correct locations. Also go to the brain editor and check to see if the parameter is loaded in the brain under MISCdata.
D

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »
you got me. i have had no problems on xp.
i know there was some problems with the timer function on other systems and with hal versions before 6.2, and this plugin uses the timer.
wish i could be more help. the error you are getting should never happen with this plugin, unless there is a memory issue or an issue with the program and your system timer or hal version. but of course stranger things have happened.

snoz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:40:06 pm »
Well crap. There is a problem with the CMOS battery on this laptop which forces me to update the system clock in bios on start up, but generally this computer doesn't get shut down what so ever, that doesn't happen often.

With 256 mb of ram, I couldn't imagine it being a memory issue, and I am indeed using the latest version of HAL.

All files should also be loaded in their correct locations as i'm loading the plugins directly after a brand new fresh install.

I'm totally lost on this one. Maybe i'll just try on a different computer, try and eliminate some variables and see if that makes a difference.

Anyone else have any ideas?

djkilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:54:58 pm »
256 mg of ram? I have 3 gig on this machine and it can still get bogged down from time to time..Again check the misc data section of the brain and be sure the tables and parameters were created.

On a side note:
OTCE and Bill....the weather plugin is so darn smooth..would it be difficult to modify this so a sports plugin could answer "who won the " " game today? just a thought..
D

snoz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:03:34 pm »
djkilla: the program itself doesn't seem to get bogged down whatsoever, even while conversing it seems to run just as smooth as it does on a dual core p4 with 4 gigs of ram, so i don't think that's the issue. I was getting the SAME exact error on that machine when I tried it.

I haven't checked the table, but I will here shortly.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:50 pm »
there are a couple of things to check here.

1 - you should go to the options screen, and make sure that the current brain you are using is highlighted in the brain list. then press "apply" on that screen.

2 - go to the plugin and check the options for "high" curiosity, and "yes" for "hal asks questions on his own". then press "apply" on that screen.

3 - next start hal and ask the question "do you have a question" verbatim. see if hal responds with (here are the possibilities) :

CuriousIdleResponse12 = "No. Not at the moment, but thank you for asking." & vbCrLf
Case 2
CuriousIdleResponse12 = "Nothing comes to mind " & CuriousIdleUserName & "." & vbCrLf
Case 3
CuriousIdleResponse12 = "Not right now, but if I think of something I will ask you." & vbCrLf
Case 4
CuriousIdleResponse12 = "I don't have a question for you " & CuriousIdleUserName & ". Do you have one for me?" & vbCrLf
Case 5
CuriousIdleResponse12 = "Thank you for asking, but I do not have any questions right now." & vbCrLf
Case 6
CuriousIdleResponse12 = "No. I'm sure I'll think of something soon." & vbCrLf
Case 7
CuriousIdleResponse12 = "I don't have a question right now." & vbCrLf
Case 8
CuriousIdleResponse12 = "No, but I appreciate you asking." & vbCrLf

OR:

CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ". If you have time, would you please explain why something would be " & CuriousAdjective & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 2
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", I've been wondering. " & HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile("sharedQuestions") & vbCrLf
Case 3
CuriousIdleResponse10 = "I've been wondering " & CuriousIdleUserName & ", what do you know about the subject of " & CuriousWords & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 4
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", I'm curious. How could " & CuriousWords & " be " & CuriousAdjective & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 5
CuriousIdleResponse10 = "If you have a moment. I've been thinking, could " & CuriousAdjective & " be used to describe " & CuriousWords & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 6
CuriousIdleResponse10 = "I have been curious about this. What happens if something is " & CuriousAdjective & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 7
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", I'm interested. Why would " & CuriousWords & " be " & CuriousAdjective & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 8
CuriousIdleResponse10 = "I've been wondering " & CuriousIdleUserName & ", what is the relationship between " & CuriousWords & " and " & CuriousWords2 & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 9
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", I've been thinking. " & HalBrain.ChooseSentenceFromFile("sharedQuestions") & vbCrLf
Case 10
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", are you " & CuriousAdjective & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 11
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", do you have any experience with " & CuriousWords & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 12
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", what would cause " & CuriousWords & " to be " & CuriousAdjective & "?" & vbCrLf
Case 13
CuriousIdleResponse10 = CuriousIdleUserName & ", do you have any experience with " & CuriousWords & "?" & vbCrLf

Then say something else to hal (random sentence) then wait and see if between 2 and 3 minutes hal asks a question. at 4 minutes hal should say (if a question was asked...it won't ask a question every time on it's own no matter the curiosity level) something like "if you have time maybe you can answer later".

If it doesn't do this then look in the database for entries labeled:
 "curious parameter" and see what's in there.

give me the details of what you find, including the exact error screen language.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:55:05 pm by jasondude7116 »

snoz0r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 04:54:43 pm »
Ok jason, did everything you said... it SEEMS to be working ok at the moment. The only thing I can say that I did different is that instead of setting the function to high, I had it originally set to medium.

The only actual errors messages I had received were the one that I stated in the original post which was:

"The script you are executing is taking longer than expected to run. Click end to abort the script, or continue to continue script execution"

Checked for the curious paramater as well, the only things in the table are "Curiosity" and "Persist".

Not sure if anything has changed or not, I'll continue to talk to her (Cambria) for a while and see if I have any other problems/errors and I'll let you know.

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:09:57 pm »
great! glad to hear it.
let me know. i will try to help as much as possible.
also, you said you are using win2k right? ultrahal is not advertised to be compatible with that system. that doesn't mean that it has any affect, it might just mean there is no advantage to advertising it. but there might be some kind of compatibility issue?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:12:38 pm by jasondude7116 »